How do you press the video record button?

Finally got around to testing out the X-T1 video features. One thing that's pretty annoying is the position of the video record button. I have pretty small fingers and still have trouble pressing it. Especially when I want to finish the video I have to move my hand and often still don't press the button correctly at the first try.

Do you have the same problem and is there a way to fix this? It doesn't seem to be possible to assign the video to another FN button.

Hi,

I, too, find the button rather a pain, but for different reasons: I would like either to disable it or assign another function that would be more useful for me.

My conclusion after some playing around in the menus is that neither option is on the table :-( unless I am missing something.

This should save you searching :-)

Have a nice evening

Jeremy

Yup, it's a pain in the arse and on the X-T1 I never touch it. **** video. If I could resassign it, I would. Except...

... On the X-T10 it can be resassigned, and I did that, but it turns out that it still doesn't work well. The button has to be held down for a bit over a second for the system to recognise it has been pressed, but hold it down for more than about two seconds and it thinks you want to reassign the button and brings up the function assignment menu. I suppose this is because it's intended as a record button and there's a delay on the input to stop recording from happening accidentally. The difference in time between it not recognising the button press, recognising it and doing the right function and recognising it and bringing up the function menu are so close together that every time you press the damn button you'r basically taking a gamble and you've only got a 1/3 chance of it doing what you want. I assigned mine to switch custom scene, the same as I have the function button on the X100S (same posiiton) set, but it's proven far quicker to simply use the Q menu for that and, lik ethe X-T1, simply forget the record button even exists on the X-T10.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 probably the worst button I've ever used in my life which seems like an exaggeration but seriously: How can this be the intended design? I got juice in my X-E1 buttons which meant I had to press hard to use them and some had no more "clickiness" but still that was better than the mess that is the video button on X-T1/X-T10. 

I think the idea was that it's too easy to push a normal button in that spot by accident, but now they made it almost impossible to push on purpose. Especially once re-assigned (ISO for me) it makes no sense to have the delay, and it just makes me want to work around using that button at all. 

LET ALONE the awful way the video mode works by only existing as start/stop recording! Who wants it to work that way? I would much rather have a slot on the Drive dial for video, then use the shutter to start and stop. Isn't that what everyone expects?

Sometimes it feels like Fuji is so ashamed of their video quality (which isn't THAT bad IMHO, but video nuts clearly hate it) that they build the cameras to disincentivize people from using video at all. 

(sorry for posting about the same issue in two threads, but it's interesting to see how many others are bothered by this now that the X-T10 is out and making people think about it).

On the plus side, the button is so small that you can just forget about it and it's well enough placed that you would never press it by accident, which is funny, its kind of they designed it to be there if you really want to press it.

Otherwise it's just way over there in a corner... alone...

Yup, it's a pain in the arse and on the X-T1 I never touch it. **** video. If I could resassign it, I would. Except...

... On the X-T10 it can be resassigned, and I did that, but it turns out that it still doesn't work well. The button has to be held down for a bit over a second for the system to recognise it has been pressed, but hold it down for more than about two seconds and it thinks you want to reassign the button and brings up the function assignment menu. I suppose this is because it's intended as a record button and there's a delay on the input to stop recording from happening accidentally. The difference in time between it not recognising the button press, recognising it and doing the right function and recognising it and bringing up the function menu are so close together that every time you press the damn button you'r basically taking a gamble and you've only got a 1/3 chance of it doing what you want. I assigned mine to switch custom scene, the same as I have the function button on the X100S (same posiiton) set, but it's proven far quicker to simply use the Q menu for that and, lik ethe X-T1, simply forget the record button even exists on the X-T10.

Agreed! There should at least be a config menu option to lock all buttons at current config, so that holding them no longer brings up the reconfiguration option. Once you've had the camera for a while and figured out how you want to use it, accidentally activating the configuration is just annoying, for any of the buttons, not just video.

Agreed! There should at least be a config menu option to lock all buttons at current config, so that holding them no longer brings up the reconfiguration option. Once you've had the camera for a while and figured out how you want to use it, accidentally activating the configuration is just annoying, for any of the buttons, not just video.

Does it actually happen for you with any other buttons? In my experience the hold-to-reset system works perfectly for every other button on the X-T10. The problem is the delay on video which is too close to the reset delay.