XC 16-50mm or XC15-45mm

sencci

Hello everyone. I am looking for backup camera (have dslr Nikon D7100), for everyday (mostly) street photography camera. I decided to buy body Fujifilm X-T20. 

I know that the prime lenses are the best, and also know that zoom lenses like 18-55 mm and 16-55 mm are one of the best. But I'm limited by the budget and I want to choose between the two cheapest zoom lens kit for now. I'll be upgrading later.

I'am new in world of mirrorless. But I have read many positive reviews for Fujinon kit lenses, like they are much better than a Nikon or Canon kit lens. So for comparison purposes, can I expect (at the least) that they are as good as eg. Tamron 17-50 mm lens (I use on dslr) , regarding focusing, sharpness, distortion, etc ..?

According to the their specifications, 15-45mm is smaller and lighter (it is good), but I am not sure about OIS PZ - whether it is an advantage or a disadvantage of this lens (faster battery consumption, each time pulling out, etc.) Any useful informations?

So, what budget lens is better to buy with X-T20: XC 16-50mm OIS II or XC 15-45mm OIS PZ?

I haven’t used the 15-45 but I own the 16-50 which came with my xt20 and it is a great lens.  Takes beautiful pictures. I bought a 18-55mm because I wanted a Aperture ring like my primes I use the most but after comparing those two lenses I am going to sell the 18-55 and keep the 16-50 because it just feels better on the camera.  Really hard to tell the difference in picture quality. Don’t think you would be disappointed in the 16-50. 

Going by the quality of it and the xc50-230 which I have as well I am sure the 15-45 is probably great as well so you should pick the one that’s focal lengths work best for you. 

14 hours ago, DFW said:

I haven’t used the 15-45 but I own the 16-50 which came with my xt20 and it is a great lens.  Takes beautiful pictures. I bought a 18-55mm because I wanted a Aperture ring like my primes I use the most but after comparing those two lenses I am going to sell the 18-55 and keep the 16-50 because it just feels better on the camera.  Really hard to tell the difference in picture quality. Don’t think you would be disappointed in the 16-50. 

Going by the quality of it and the xc50-230 which I have as well I am sure the 15-45 is probably great as well so you should pick the one that’s focal lengths work best for you. 

Thank you! I believe it's 16-50 a good lens. The difference in price between 16-50 and 15-45 is not great, so I doubt it. For 16-50 I read many positive feedback like yours. For 15-45 it has fewer reviews, maybe because of it's newer and not yet quite tested. I see that it is even smaller and lighter and that it has OIS PZ. I hope someone else will answer regarding 15-45 feedback.

Finally, I have to make a decision between the X-T20 + 16-50II (new) and the X-T10 + 18-55 (used). Although the 18-55 is slightly a better lens, but the X-T20 without a dilemma is a better and new body, what do you think is the better final choice?

I own a 18-55 and have shot a borrowed a 15-45 for several weeks. 

My suggestion, if possible, is that you try the zoom mechanism on a 15-45 before purchasing one.  This is a motorized zoom (PZ) that zooms via a two direction ring on the lens.  The lens does not stop zooming immediately when you stop the zoom mechanism, it will over-shoot or under-shoot slightly.  It took me a while to get used to this and to learn to anticipate when to stop zooming so that my framing would be approximately where I wanted.  While mastering this zoom mechanism can done, many may not prefer this PZ zoom.

As to IQ, the 15-45 is a very good lens and better than some of the Nikon DX standard zooms that I have owned.  However, I prefer the IQ of my 18-55. 

Both are very good lenses.  However, I would strongly recommend that you be completely comfortable with the PZ aspect of the 15-45 before purchasing one.  This issue is one that could become a lingering one in longer term use after the initial joy of ownership has past.

Best of luck with your decision.

6 hours ago, sencci said:

Finally, I have to make a decision between the X-T20 + 16-50II (new) and the X-T10 + 18-55 (used). Although the 18-55 is slightly a better lens, but the X-T20 without a dilemma is a better and new body, what do you think is the better final choice?

Also owned a X-T10 and a X-T2 (same sensor, AF, and many features as a X-T20).  Either of your stated options are good choices, you won't be making a mistake with either one.

Personally, I would prefer the overall faster operating speed of the X-T20.  You have indicated an interest in having a lighter lens in this thread and the 16-50II is certainly lighter than a 18-55.  One other advantage of this lens is that its wide end starts at 16mm (vs. 18mm).  When traveling on vacation, I often found that 18mm was not quite wide enough.  16mm seems just about perfect in this regard.

Best of luck!

6 hours ago, mma2 said:

Also owned a X-T10 and a X-T2 (same sensor, AF, and many features as a X-T20).  Either of your stated options are good choices, you won't be making a mistake with either one.

Personally, I would prefer the overall faster operating speed of the X-T20.  You have indicated an interest in having a lighter lens in this thread and the 16-50II is certainly lighter than a 18-55.  One other advantage of this lens is that its wide end starts at 16mm (vs. 18mm).  When traveling on vacation, I often found that 18mm was not quite wide enough.  16mm seems just about perfect in this regard.

Best of luck!

I gave up the 15-45 because of PZ. Thank you for advice! It seems X-T20 with 16-50II will be the best choice. 

Edited by sencci

I have an offer for used X-T10 + 18-55 + two batteries and with a Nikon adapter, all for 500 EUR, while the new X-T20 with 16-50 II  costs about 800 EUR. It's really worth the extra money, comparing these specific offers? It's worth investing in longer runs for my final decision?