XT20: focus lock & auto ISO queries

Just bought an XT20, couple of issues:

1. Camera will not retain my 3 auto ISO parameters. Set them one day. Next day, turn on: default ISO 200 & all my auto ISO settings have returned to the factory defaults. Today I reset them, only for the camera to have a hissy fit 5 mins later, forgetting being in auto ISO 1 & returning to 200, with all my auto ISO settings reset back to factory defaults. I assume this ain’t normal XT20 behaviour.

2. When I press the autofocus lock button, nothing happens. I focus with the shutter button, then lock it with the lock button. On my other Fuji X bodies, pressing the lock button focuses without my needing to touch the shutter release. Is the XT20 different or is it just my body?

After a week’s use, I’m finding the XT20 to be v temperamental, unlike my other X bodies, which do what they’re told day in, day out.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

1. You're probably playing with the C1-C7 "custom settings" either intentionally or accidentally (probably in the Q menu). Each of those custom settings has its own auto-ISO configuration, and every time you select one of those its auto-ISO configuration overwrites what was in the camera. I suggest that you set all of the custom settings to the auto-ISO configuration that you like, so that when you select one of them you'll get an auto-ISO configuration that you can deal with. Or if you don't care about JPEGs, leave the custom settings alone.

2. Yes, it changed from the earlier generations. The X-T20 now has an AF-ON option as well, that you can assign to the AF-L button (or any other assignable button). All of the X-Trans III generation are like that.

Hello Doug

Thanks for your feedback, but:

1. I haven’t touched ISO via the Q menus. I set my own Auto ISO 1-3 ranges and assign this to an Fn button (on the XT20 this is the top-plate Fn button). I change my ISO ranges via this button. I’ve just been using the XT20 and, as on previous outings, it decided to revert to the factory-set Auto ISO ranges while also reverting to ISO 200: all my ISO settings being erased. It has also erased my Auto settings overnight: everything fine at shut down; Auto ISOs back to factory settings and ISO 200 set when started up the next day.

2. Meantime, the focus lock button (which is my focus lock button; no Fn assignment) doesn’t focus. When pressed and released, the green focus lock sign comes on even though the subject isn’t in focus. So I focus with the shutter button, then use the focus lock button to retain focus.

(On my XPro2 and 100F, the focus lock button locks focus without my having to go near the shutter. Similarly, my Auto ISOs only change at my command.)

Back to the dealer tomorrow ...

1. I'm not talking about touching ISO via the Q menus. I'm talking about selecting C1 through C7. This is very easy to do accidentally when using the Q menu, and it will cause the camera's ISO configuration to be replaced by the one in the C setting.

2. Just change your AF-L button to be AF-ON.

Hello Doug

1. I never change the ISO via the Q menus, always via my Fn button allocated to ISO. Yesterday, for example, I never touched the Q button, yet the camera decided to reset my Auto ISO settings to factory default and put itself on ISO 200.

2. Spanner/Button/Dial settings/AE/AF-Lock Mode=On/Off Switch. But in Fn/AE-Lock/AF-Lock Button Setting I have the choice of AF-On or AF Lock Only. Presumably I should also set this to Lock.

While talking to the dealer, another Fuji owner came in. Hearing my queries, he had a look at DPReview: seems I’m not alone ... The dealer has reset me, so let’s see what happens now.

Bye

(I forgot to mention that the camera will not allow me to have digital exposure compensation in Large Info mode, only the Scale along the left side.)