Kipon Baveyes EOS-FX AF Mini-Review by DMF

A few weeks ago, this adapter was one of the most wanted on the list! It is the “electronic” version of KIPON BAVEYES adapter for Canon EF lenses on Fujifilm X body!! Electronically, it will allow autofocusing and iris control via camera body!

New Kipon Baveyes EOS-FX AF

Old Kipon Baveyes EOS-FX

I also owned the original KIPON BAVEYES EOS-FX without the electronic. I used it mostly for work. Because “BAVEYES” is an x0.7 focal reducer!  Easy math here = 50mm f/1.8 x 0.7 = 35mm  f/1.26. Now if you multiply 35mm f/1.26 x crop factor (1.5) = then it appears as 52.5 f/1.89 (light transmission will remain as f/1.26). Yes, you will gain 1+ stop with this adapter. It has a micro USB port on the side which the company KIPON will deliver firmware updates to improve AF performance and accuracy. It was shipped with 1.10 firmware. I used the kipon firmware and software in order to update it to 1.12 for autofocus accuracy. Micro USB 2.0 data cable is a must (28AWG/4C).

Here are samples were taken with lenses with KIPON BAVEYES EOS-FX AF:

XT2 | Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Baveyes EOS-FX AF

XE1 | Helios 44-1 58mm f/2 | Baveyes EOS-FX AF

Helios 44-1 58mm f/2 | Baveyes EOS-FX AF

XE1 | Helios 44-1 58mm f/2 | Baveyes EOS-FX AF

X-T2 | Meyer Optik Orestor 50mm f/1.8 | KB EOS-FX AF

PROS:

• Built quality
  • Better optic design (Sharper than original Baveyes)
  • Multi-coated
  • X0.7 (1.05x crop factor, the “Full Frame Look”)
  • Gain 1+ stop of light transmission
  • F-stop info on the EXIF
  • Geometric Distortion Correction
  • Supports Image Stabilization
  • Autofocus is very accuracy
  • AF Speed is fast depending on the autofocus settings.
  • Less Swirl than original Baveyes
  • No sign of vignette unlike original Baveyes
  • Lightweight than original Baveyes adapter
  • Firmware updates

CONS:

• Autofocus Speed might not be speedy on some older Fuji bodies and some Third party/older lenses.
  • Some lenses aren’t compatible due to lens mount and body designs.
  • Autofocusing can drains battery (manual focusing saves battery)
  • Price isn’t cheap

There are some lenses and an adapter with a design that is not compatible. If you look at Fotodiox M42-EOS adapter and Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5, the design is the same on the rear mount which causing EOS-FX BAveyes AF not able to function. Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II and Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L aren’t compatible due to protruding on the rear of the body. Kipon Baveyes AF is definitely a good investment if you are looking for the “Full Frame” look with Fujifilm’s Film Simulation, bokeh character adapt some lenses that are missing aperture ring only allows aperture control via Fujifilm bodies, accurate autofocus performance and lenses only available in EOS mounts from Carl Zeiss, Sigma, Rokinon, Tamron, etc.. I did not do much video testing but AF-C seem to autofocus smoothly depending on the lens and AF setting. Maybe Canon STM lenses would do a better job. I had used Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM for the test here (Password is "7600"). For Non-EOS lenses like Contax Yashica 50mm ML f/1.9, Rikenon 55mm f/1.4, Nikkor-P.C 105mm f/2.5, Carl Zeiss 180mm f/2.8, Takumar 200mm f/3.5 and etc. delivered crispy sharp and excellent results with this adapter. Must use XX-EF adapter before adapting it to Kipon Baveyes EOS-FX.

Fujifilm X-T2 | KIPON BAVEYES | CARL ZEISS JENA BIOMETAR 80MM f/2.8

Fujifilm X-T2 | KIPON BAVEYES | ROKINON 85 T1.5 CINE

Fujifilm X-T2 | KIPON BAVEYES | NIKKOR-P.C 105 f/2.5

Fujifilm X-T2 | KIPON BAVEYES | CARL ZEISS JENA SONNAR 180MM f/2.8

TIPS/TRICKS:

My best AF setting for accurate and fast autofocus on X-T2:

Shutter release + AF giving me misfocus shots. So, I found that disabling on shutter release and remap AF-ON to the front button or back button as "front focus or back focus", it gives me very accurate results.

Set AF/MF > AF > ALL
When you press on joystick and turn rear scrolling dial, you will see WIDE, ZONE and SINGLE. I like WIDE more for accurate and fast autofocusing but if focus on something very specific or smaller then I would use SINGLE.

My best MF setting:
Set camera to RAW + Acros Film Simulation + High RED or WHITE Focus Peaking + MF Assist = Easy manual focusing results!

Stay tuned for more updates and lens compatibility list!

Edited by dfallsfilm
fixes

• 10 months later...

Hi dfallsfilm,

I wanted to buy a speedbooster, and for more research I do there is very little information about the same for Fuji.

Since now congratulations for the post, thanks for sharing.

I would like to ask if already experimenters update with the latest firmware version? 1.17.

How does AF behave with Canon lenses generically? It would be to use on a T20 X. I have a Fringer Pro, it's fast, but I needed a speedbooster. I already bought the Viltrox EF-FX2, where I mounted the Canon 35mm f2 IS USM, it seemed to work fine, but after removing the lens from the adapter I stopped focusing on the infinite because it rotates the lens of the adapter when removing the lens (bad construction).

The Kipon model looks much better built, and does not seem to be my eye, to have the problem of the lenses touch the optimum set and roll it when removing the lens.

Are you still satisfied?

Regards,