How have you modified/accecorized your XT-1?

Exiled

I think they're going to release someting in between, like the sling, but smaller. Saw a photo somewhere of a prototype.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on their web site. For now, their thinner strap (used as a sling strap) is working out well.

One other bit of accessorizing that I did, with thanks to whoever posted the suggestion in this forum: I got rid of the sub-optimal lens hood for the 35/1.4 and replaced it with a 52mm screw-in metal lens hood -- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3LONQ8. There are probably a lot of these available here and there.

Also taking the advice of someone here, I bought a 55mm Tamron-style lens cap, which happens to fit quite well over the end of the screw-in hood (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6J69FE). There are a bazillion 55mm lens caps of that style out there and no doubt a number of them would work. To be sure the lens+hood+cap combination takes up more space in the camera bag, but I prefer this kind of arrangement because it means no more having to reach inside the lens hood to get at the cap (or first remove the lens hood). If Fujifilm's own hood+slip-on plastic cap weren't so flimsy, they'd have worked well. But neither wants to stay on.

20140406_072936_zpsynkt4szh.jpg

^

strap. (and yes, i debadge my vehicles as much as possible.)

2014_0606_17530100_1_zpso9aenzdj.jpg

^

L-plates. they each have screen protectors as well.

2015_0105_12532100_zpspgtstidc.jpg

^

these bits and pieces

---

i believe i've noticed Zack Arias stick on a Sony badge on one of his Fujis just to throw people off for fun. i've stuck a Hello Kitty sticker on just for fun as well. that got quite the expression on some people's faces.

(Sent from another Galaxy)

new to this forum... any brand you guys would recommend for the thumb rest and soft release? if i have the handgrip already, would the thumb rest still be useful? thanks in advance.

on my x-t1, i have a hand grip, lance camera hand strap, and wide angle rubber lens hood (for my 23mm). the hood is "ok" and is collapsible, does the job but i would rather have a metal hood or a metal vented hood. i know there are plenty out there but i have not found one (62mm) to accommodate my 23mm. 

18711_10155814968365503_121444811611842111695984_10155814965700503_4575336023596

You are probably aware of the fact that the X-T1 is somewhat limited in the choice of both soft release button and thumb rest?

Due to the camera configuration, most of the many cheap versions of both these products do not fit the camera.

The Lolumina addresses the problem of the lack of a threaded button on the camera where you might insert the one of the so many cheap ones on the market, and to be honest it is cheap itself.

Remember, whichever button you buy, to block the thread with a drop of thread locker such as Loctite 222 ( low strength is plenty in this case) and the button will not unscrew itself.

Much the same situation for the thumb rest.

Because of the way the camera is, a thumb rest which uses the hot shoe has to accommodate fort the EVF “ Bump” following its shape and , if you want it to be positioned anywhere useful, needs being very long with the consequent need of a point where, on the opposite side of the hot shoe and under your thumb, it leans on the camera.

If you don’t have that and use a “ universal” configuration meant for a smaller camera with no “ bump” on top you end up with something too short , way too exposed to be caught into something and not at all comfortable!

So, In practice, the “ Lensmate”specific for the X-T1 is probably the best for the job but it is very expensive by any standard!

However even if this is the best product, and addresses all the design problems that other cheaper and so called universal products do not address, in my view still fails to offer any real comfort because the position where it really needs to be is exactly where Fuji has placed its thumb rest ridge on the camera!

I have made a few changes to my XT-1's

1- Switched to the larger eyepiece which is a huge improvement over the one that comes with the camera. 

2- Using the Lolumina Mini soft release. It does make it much easier to find/use the shutter button.

3- Installed the ITG glass protective cover on the rear LCD

4- Using the DSPTCH Standard Camera Sling Strap   ( http://www.dsptch.com/collections/sling  )

5- Found small stick-on soft plastic rhinestones to use as buttons to put on the AF-L button and Focus Assist button so I can find them easily with my thumb when using the camera. I used one on the AF-L button on the vertical grip, also since it is in a strange spot and always seem to be hunting for the right button.

(I found these at Michael's crafts store by accident on a trip there with my art-loving seven-year-old daughter.) They fit perfectly and require no trimming or modification. They stay stuck but can be pulled off easily using just your thumbnail.  ($5 for about 150 of them in a few different sizes)

6- Used a larger "rhinestone" as a soft release on the vertical grip. I tried using a Lolumina one, but it kept getting caught on my pocket, bag, etc... this sits flush and also fits perfectly. Again, it stays stuck but will come off easily with just a thumbnail. But as cheap as they are, even if one popped off accidentally, it's no problem to stick a new one on.

I'm not really a rhinestone sort of guy, but I have not found anything else that works as well as these do. They are soft enough that there is a bit of give when you push them and they won't bug your thumb with a long day of shooting and still rigid enough that you have good contact with the button when you push it. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

neither have I ( or was it Eye?  B) ), the only thing that is ever so slightly annoying is the thing that I should really remember to not wear my spectacles since the dioptric correction of the camera fits me just fine ( when I don’t, by mistake, turn the wheel and change it, one of the so many controls which should have an harder “ click” to stay in place without accidentally being turned).

• 6 months later...

I've got a pair of X-T1s for event and wedding photography, one black and one graphite. I've got:

- larger eyepiece

- larger front grip

Straps-wise I used to have a nice-ish Cam-In leather strap for them both (pics and post here), but in the end I got fed up of camera swinging around all the time, and straps tangling up, so I went with the SpiderHolster Pro Dual Camera belt kit (pics and post here). Absolutely love that. The plates that attach to the cameras are designed for DSLRs and are too big really, but they do fit, and I just love having the X-T1s slung on my hips rather than swinging around from my shoulders. 

One thing I do worry about occasionally is dropping it if I'm shooting from a balcony. So, I might get a handstrap, maybe.

Have considered a battery grip for longer life but then I'd be edging into DSLR size and weight territory again...

My change to X-T1 is - removed eyepiece : )

I like to use it in that way. Also I've locked most of external controls that I don't use to prevent accidental switch.

Instead of using Fuji strap, I've made more simple looking neck strap from special strong leather.