X-T10 user moving to X-H1 or wait for X-T3?

Hello! I’m an X-T10 user looking to upgrade to either Jen X-H1, X-T2 or the rumoured X-T3.

I’m mainly a nature and landscape/travel photographer with a little video as well

I have then XF 18-55, the XF 35mm F2 and the XF 55-200mm I was wondering whether you think it’s worth going straight to the X-H1 and bypassing the X-T series?

Thanks in advance guys

I have a couple of XT1s and thinking about the same. XH1 or XT3? Having read the reviews/discussions, I understand the reason to move to the XH1 is primarily for the video. If you don't really need the video, the XT2 may be better. Not sure what the XT3 will look like, but I'm waiting for it. The XT2 was just not a big enough leap forward as I love the XT1, with caveats. I need a really good reason to upgrade as I'm on a budget like most of us and decisions about upgrades are the pain of my life.

Hello! I’m an X-T10 user looking to upgrade to either Jen X-H1, X-T2 or the rumoured X-T3.

I’m mainly a nature and landscape/travel photographer with a little video as well

I have then XF 18-55, the XF 35mm F2 and the XF 55-200mm I was wondering whether you think it’s worth going straight to the X-H1 and bypassing the X-T series?

Thanks in advance guys

What you wish to do with the camera, says to me get the X-H1, and your lenses will fit right in! Edited by Mike G

If you are gonna shoot video in any capacity, I'd say go for the XH1. I've purchased mine for video, and loved it, though I found myself wanting to shoot more photos with it, and that is why I decided to list mine up for sale.

It's really a true Hybrid camera in every sense. Which in my opinion makes it perfect for a photographer who wants to occasionally shoot video.

side note: If you decide you could use a slightly used XH1, let me know.

I too am in a similar boat to the OP. I was considering either an X-T2 or X-Pro 2. Then I made the mistake of picking up an X-H1 yesterday, while trying out lenses for the former two. My pros and cons after just trying it for a few minutes:

Pros:

- IBIS. It's cool, I don't often need it in the conditions in which I shoot, but yes, it will be useful sometimes. But it's adding a lot of bulk to the camera (see cons).

- Viewfinder. Wow. Very very nice. And I thought the X-T2 was nice, but this is nicer. Definitely a reason to consider the X-H1.

- Shutter/shutter release. Holy lords of Fujicron, what a sublime shutter. I thought my shutter experience had peaked with a Leica M6 years ago, but this caps even that. It's the #1 reason I'm now considering the X-H1, it's that good. Just a gentle, smooth squeeze and she fires off without a hint of vibration, it's a Rolls Royce of shutter buttons.

Cons:

- Size/weight. It's considerably bigger. And heavier. And you do notice it in hand by quite a degree after putting down an X-T2 and picking up the X-H1 with the same lens. It's basically in semi-pro DSLR territory. This is not cool for me, a huge reason for Fuji mirrorless was the smaller size and weight. The X-T2 and X-Pro 2 are pretty much spot on in this regard, for my uses.

- Ergonomics. Actually I don't like the new grip/shape at all in hand. It actually felt uncomfortable, which I wasn't expecting, kinda like there was a lot of grip but just not in the right places for how I tend to hold. Personal thing, but not great for me.

- Aesthetics. Well, the X-Pro 2 wins this hands-down for me, with the X-T2 a close second. The X-H1 is, to my eyes, a bit of a dog. They stuck a load of useful stuff in, and on, it, but totally messed up all the lovely semi-retro lines I, and I reckon a lot of other, Fuji users love so much. Hm...

But oh, that shutter... I actually dreamed of it last night. Man.

So, if Fuji stick that hair-trigger, smooth as butter, shock-free shutter in the X-T3, without IBIS, a load of bulk/weight and messing up the aesthetics and grip, I know where my money would go in a heartbeat. As it is right now, I have no idea which camera to go for; if only I hadn't tried that X-H1!

Edited by Ektachrome

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 X-T2's and just purchased the X-H1 (all with battery grips)... I have not used the X-H1 all that much yet... but here are my first impressions

I immediately missed the exposure compensation dial. 

It is bigger and heavier.

I prefer the appearance of the X-T2

The X-H1 is easier to grip with a heavy lens. I feel more confident holding the X-H1 in one hand.

I like the X-H1 viewfinder better

The shutter is amazing and so quiet. When I am shooting birds and other animals, it makes a difference. Likewise I expect to use the X-H1 for panels and conferences and the like since it is so quiet. The X-T2 suddenly seems loud. 

I am often taking nature photos in low light... dawn and dusk so the IBIS will allow me to use some lenses I previously avoided like the 90. 

I have not tried out the touch screen for focussing

I have not tried connecting my phone

I've not shot video yet but I will for sure be using the X-H1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 4:05 AM, cug said:

Another reason for the X-H1 is IBIS. Especially with long(ish) non IS lenses like the 90 or even the 56, it's more manageable. Also for adapted lenses, IBIS is great as it stabilizes the image in the EVF for focusing.

Thanks for the comment cug! I’ve got the 55-200mm and I would really love to be able to do more low light shots hand-held with that lens. Yeah I hear the EVF on the X-H1 is really great 👌

if you say you are mostly for travel and landscape and already own the lenses with ois, it seems to me you

should consider the bargain camera - the xt20. you can shoot a little video and you have the right kit for travel and

wandering in the nature. we do not need the latest and greatest all the time. extra money could be spent on

10-24 lens for landscape or 14mm etc etc

28 minutes ago, mbzznowhere said:

if you say you are mostly for travel and landscape and already own the lenses with ois, it seems to me you

should consider the bargain camera - the xt20. you can shoot a little video and you have the right kit for travel and

wandering in the nature. we do not need the latest and greatest all the time. extra money could be spent on

10-24 lens for landscape or 14mm etc etc

I’m looking to expand my photography and get some freelance work doing various types of work. An X-T20 is good for travel but I’m looking for something that’s got a more solid build more suited to professional work. Thanks though! 

• 5 weeks later...

Curious, are you still waiting for the X-T3?  I just got the T2, but returning it because of dead pixel issue.  I was going to go back for the X-H1, but now I'm seeing the X-T3 is right around the corner with a better processor and great vid capabilities (not that I'd ever use them).  The X-H1 has the internal stabilization, but I wonder if it's wroth going with the older processor.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:05 AM, Jay Dobson said:

Curious, are you still waiting for the X-T3?  I just got the T2, but returning it because of dead pixel issue.  I was going to go back for the X-H1, but now I'm seeing the X-T3 is right around the corner with a better processor and great vid capabilities (not that I'd ever use them).  The X-H1 has the internal stabilization, but I wonder if it's wroth going with the older processor.

I decided not to wait and went with the X-H1.  The body/build quality alone is worth it to me.  The larger grip just feels better.   Love the pics it's taking.  Hope you're happy with whatever choice you land on!

11 hours ago, Jay Dobson said:

I decided not to wait and went with the X-H1.  The body/build quality alone is worth it to me.  The larger grip just feels better.   Love the pics it's taking.  Hope you're happy with whatever choice you land on!

Hi Jay, 

sorry for the late reply! Congrats on the purchase! I ended up waiting until the X-T3 was announced the other day and have pre-ordered one! Rather excited! 😜