X-T2 Lock up

My relatively new X-T2 locked up during a paid shoot today.  I was doing a shoot for a pilates studio and after finishing some outdoor headshots moved inside to start on some environmental shots.  When I went to power the camera back on there was no power, totally locked up.  Cycling power didn't help.  I ended up removing the battery grip and the battery from the camera body, reinstalling the battery and it powered up for the rest of the session.

Camera is about a month old, bought new from B&H, batteries were Fuji OEM batteries designed for the X-T2 with the "S" designation.  Memory cards are garden variety SanDisk Extreme 16GB cards.  Battery grip was in normal (not boost) mode.  I was using the 56mm f1.2 lens and the 18-55 for the interior work.  Batteries were fully charged the morning to the shoot.

I also noticed the camera was sluggish when trying to review images in the LCD and show clients.  Several times I would hit the review button and almost 5-8 seconds went by before the image would appear on the LCD.

Sold my my Nikon gear when I bought the X-T2 (still have my X-T1).  Maybe I shouldn't have...cant have frozen cameras for paid work.

Any ideas?  Thanks

WOW 

I also came across this problem today, a 5 month old camera, a 18-55 lens.
After taking several hours in a break during the parade, 30 degrees heat.
Perhaps related to the last update 4 which included a number of bugs,
  Hopefully updating the next version will solve the problem.
Edited by ronen159

I suggest always - ALWAYS - using the camera in Boost mode (whether you've got the grip fitted or not). The X-T2/X-Pro2 are both slow and jittery in Normal mode - and the X-H1 is even worse. I think "Normal mode" is a misnomer: it should be called something like "Battery-saving mode" or "Economy mode" instead. (I'm not saying this is the answer to the problems you've described, but using Normal mode won't have helped.) Hope you get it sorted soon - good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My X-T1 locked up on me a few weeks ago, and I did the same routine you, then I realized the drive knob was bumped half way between Single and Continuous Low. As soon as I reset that, problem went away. But I have had issues with these cameras locking up before, and the only thing to fix it is to pull the battery.

Many have complained about lock ups and Fuji has answered with Firmware upgrades.  Are you using the latest version of firmware?  If not you are MISSING OUT on a lot of good stuff.  Personally I have never had a lockup happen to me.  I have always suspected third party batteries and mix of cards in the card slots.  I always use Fuji batteries and matching sd cards in both slots.

My X-T2 has had these lock-ups since day one. They happen more frequently when I have a flash or flash trigger in the hot shoe for some reason.

I always use two cards in a backup configuration, and my cards are Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I cards. It could be a compatibility with the cards and that the camera is expecting faster write speeds, but it should not cause lock-ups just slower emptying of the buffer. I have had suggested that UHS-II cards may solve the issue, but they are still quite expensive, especially when I don't need the added performance.

For me the only way to fix it is to pull the battery, either in the camera, or in the grip if it's attached. I have never had to remove the grip from the camera. No images have been lost, but all settings I've changed since powering the camera on have been lost. I seems to save changes when turned off, which makes sense given the limited write cycles of the memory often used in this type of equipment.

I'm thinking of sending mine in to Fujifilm while I still have warranty, but from what I have read it may not solve anything.