Going to a wedding: what lenses should I take?

konzy

It's my first wedding with my Fuji. I'm a guest, so no pressure, but the bride asked me to film the ceremony and take some pictures afterwards.

I've got a bunch of lenses but I'm not sure which one to take, to serve both the video and photography needs. I'd love some good advice from experienced wedding shooters!

Cameras:

- X-T1

- X100T

Lenses:

- 14mm f/2.8

- 23mm f/1.4

- 35mm f/2

- 60mm f/2.4 macro

- 80mm f/2.8 macro

- 135mm f/2 (Samyang, manual focus)

- 18-135mm

Also, I love the Samyang and how good it is for portraits. I'd love to take it with me, but I'm concerned about using a MF lens during a wedding. Is it hard?

Thanks for the precious input! ;)

Konzy

None of them.

You're either a guest or the photographer. If you're a guest, go and have fun with or without whatever you like and tell the bride, you're not "the" photographer. If you're the only photographer, why are you asking here? You should be a paid pro and know what to do.

This is just putting a friendship at risk if there are any expectations from her side.

Edited by cug

Big question here is whether you're going to be taking mostly candid photos or if they are planning to pose for you at all. If it's mostly candid, then the 135mm is a no go in my mind unless you are supremely confident in your ability to manually focus with high speed and accuracy. 

For me, I'd go with the 35mm and either the 60mm or 80mm. You've got the 23mm covered with the X100T as a more environmental shot focal length. The 35mm is a solid all around lens to document what is happening. Aside from that, pick one of the macro lenses just as an intermediate lens for portraits with a little more reach. 

Along the lines of what cug said, I would avoid taking anything too large or conspicuous. If they have hired a photographer, you don't want to come across as being part of that person's team. It may sound nice having photos from a friend/guest in addition to the main photographer, but you don't want your presence to disrupt that person's rhythm or perception among the other guests. If the hired photographer is good, they will get plenty of shots that have a candid feeling in addition to the posed photos. In that situation, I would consider approaching the hired photographer early and letting him/her know that you're going to be taking a few photos as a guest and ask them to let you know if you are ever in the way because you don't want to interfere with their job.

Edited by Nero