Left eye shooters specific problems and solutions. (With bodies & handling.)

Bob123

Approximately one-third (33%) of the population is left-eye dominant (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance).
Fujifilm should consider the needs of the left-eye dominant minority while developing products!

I have tried the X-T2 (and X-H1): my nose hinders access to the joystick and the Q button. May be there is a trick to avoid this? May be my nose is to big?

X-Pro2's ergonomics fits my needs much better, but the EVF is not state of the art (resolution and magnification), no replaceable eye-cup, less features and less kaizen love from Fujifilm than X-T2, and even more expensive than X-T2!?
I do not need an OVF (and some X-PRO2 owners I know newer uses it). I would like to have the X-Tn functionality, specifications, kaizen love, and price in a X-PROn body.

Also, I wouldn't mind a slightly larger X-E with ALL X-T features: X-E2 was OK, but X-E3 is to small and lacks a lot of features, first of all: a better EVF!

Let's wait and see what X-PRO3 will be... But I am afraid the X-Pro3 will skip one generation (like X-Pro2 did) and come only in about 2 years (=2020), along with X-T4!

Using the non-dominant right-eye may be a workaround for some-ones... (, but not for me.)

Who else uses their left eye to look through the camera's viewfinder?
If you are left eye shooter, please share your experience, needs, and tips with Fujifilm (and other) gear.

PS: I wear glasses, but shoot without.

Edited by Bob123
Add X-E series note.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob123

I notice that this topic hasn't received much attention but is an issue which also affects my photography. Like you I wear glasses but I leave them on when I am shooting. Although I must say the the XT2 doesn't hamper me as much as my Nikon DSLR.

After reading your post I took out the camera and tried it with both eyes. I probably could use my right eye, but it doesn't seem natural after 50 years of shooting with the left. I agree that the nose, and glasses, do impede access to the full range of movement of the Q button, joystick, and menu system when shooting left-eyed. I have been primarily using the centre spot and then recomposing so I don't use the joystick much but I can see the difficulty in moving the focus point around. I use the four direction buttons on the back to activate certain functions such as AFC mode, White Balance, etc. (rather than the Q menu) and find the fingering very cramped trying to access those buttons while shooting left-eyed.

Another button I find awkward to use left-eyed is the AL button on the top right of the back.

For me, it would be helpful if the Q and menu buttons  and the joystick were moved 1/2 inch to the right and the AL button brought down beside the Q button. I am not sure if that would negatively affect right-eyed shooters as I am sure a lot of ergonomic studies went into the current placement.

Let see if there are any other opinions.

wear an eye patch, very dapper 

I am, serious, someone I knew had this problem and filmen on his Arriflex this way.

Fuji is not going to change its design to fit a minority need. I am sure the designers considered this and many more other things (how about those who would like to hold the camera and shoot with the left hand? or those with only the left hand?) and discarded this idea like all the camera designers that have engaged with a reflex design for years and years and years.

intro-1516392283.jpg

Alternatively use  the LCD as viewfinder 

612xzI0ADOL._SY355_.jpg

elvid_ov_250_optiview_250_lcd_viewfinder

Edited by milandro

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you milandro for your tip, but not very practical! This could be used as a last resort.

You have to admit that the problem exists!

As CalmTom stated,
It would be helpful if some buttons were moved a little bit to the right.
This should possible without major negative effects for the 66% right-eyed shooters.
A 33% minority is important enough to be taken into consideration in the design process!

I don’t deny  the problem exists for some but it has never driven camera designers to do anything about it.

As far as I know the only 35mm camera ever to address this was the Rollei 3003 

Lots of people use a LCD loupe for cameras used for video. It is a very common application. Lots of videoshootes find this a very practical arrangement)

Edited by milandro

The LCD loupe seems to be a great feature. But being almost as big as the body with a lens (or a big lens), that makes it for me not very practical solution.

If FujiFilm would change the layout of the back side buttons a little bit, they could claim selling a camera "optimized" for right-eye and left-eye shooters. (May be the only one on the market.)
This could be of great marketing value.