Sign in to follow this  
epscott

Would you support a Fujifilm full frame MILC?

If Fujifilm released a full frame MILC tomorrow with a decent set of lenses and accesories that had overwhemingly positive reviews (think destroyer of worlds or Godlike), would you support Fujifilm? Why or why not? Please be as specific as possible.

Fujifilm covers the market with their current range including APS-C format and medium format with GFX range. 

Problems with SONY full-frame cameras: poor battery performance until newer A7III A7RIII A9 with higher prices!

Size of SONY FF lenses defeats purpose of compact mirrorless cameras like my A7: OK with tiny 35mm f2,8 Zeiss 

Using heavy 90mm SONY macro lens (not Zeiss) my A7 top-heavy; sold. Some critics not happy with the color 

character of some SONY lenses; probably after comparison with APS-C Fujifilm lenses like my Fujifilm 16mm.

So to answer your question Fujifilm should concentrate on APS-C range and GFX as professional alternative?

Definitely NOT, I didn’t buy into the Fuji system to go large!

What? They already have a medium format system. Did you give up Fuji when they released the GFX 50s?

Your reply is very interesting though in that you assumed that by releasing a full frame camera, they would somehow drop support for APS-C.

Thanks for the reply though.

I am not interested in Fuji full frame cameras. For that I have Nikon D750 with a wondeful set of lenses.

For me Fujifilm is an opportunity to travel light, without a load of glass - and still get a quality pics.

What? They already have a medium format system. Did you give up Fuji when they released the GFX 50s?

Your reply is very interesting though in that you assumed that by releasing a full frame camera, they would somehow drop support for APS-C.

Thanks for the reply though.

I didn’t make that assumption at all. I would rather Fujifilm developed and improved the Xtrans sensor chip and the camera bodies that support the APS-C concept! I see no advantage in a 36*24 format which is a hangover size from the film days! Also a move away from the 3*2 aspect ratio would be nice! Edited by Mike G

Generally speaking it will be interesting in the future if so many camera companies

will survive due to the Apple iphone becoming standard operating device for many.

Fujifilm surprising everyone with their strategy positioning in every part of the market.

For me XT-2 marks a turning point in camera design for its retro-look and handling.

My other camera SONY A7 seems rather lost in such company despite its MINOLTA

heritage. The other question in the future if XT-3 uses any new FUJIFILM sensor? 

Again, I don’t see why a full frame camera would make Fuji give up on development of APS-C when they didn’t do that when the GFX 50s was released. I also think people conflate support with buying. I’m not asking if you’d buy it, I’m asking if you’d be a cheerleader (support) for Fujifilm.

Nope FF would be a diversion and not necessary. One reason is that Fuji indeed has the GFX 50, so FF is silly. What possible benefit would there be?

Why does Fuji need a FF camera?

I also think people conflate support with buying. I’m not asking if you’d buy it, I’m asking if you’d be a cheerleader (support) for Fujifilm.

How long would Fuji stay in business, building cameras for cheerleaders instead of buyers?   :huh:

A third system would divert resources away from their existing systems, which still need more new lenses to fill out the lineups.

It's a good question. No, I would'nt support it. Like others I "down graded" from full frame to save the weight and bulk. I think that the apsc sensor size is the most sensible compromise.

I think that Fujifilm made some very astute design and marketing decisions. You have to remember that they don't make the silicon for their sensors, only the filter array, and then only for the apsc cameras. Like almost all other camera makers except Canon they rely on Sony for their sensors. Sony have huge wafer manufacturing factories with the attendant advantages of scale and so they have a virtual monopoly. When Sony decided to make the large format sensor used in the GFX 50, and for all we know they may have done so for Fuji, Fuji made the clever decision not to attempt to compete in the full frame market. Instead they found their niche by going straight to medium format, where there is no competition at Fujis price point. Sony, Canon and Nikon have the full frame market pretty much sewn up and it would probably be suicidal for Fuji to try to compete. If I wanted to lgo arge again I would almost certainly go to the GFX as it seems to me to be the most sensible decision. Mind you, I would have to win the lottery first!

Again, I don’t see why a full frame camera would make Fuji give up on development of APS-C when they didn’t do that when the GFX 50s was released. I also think people conflate support with buying. I’m not asking if you’d buy it, I’m asking if you’d be a cheerleader (support) for Fujifilm.

With respect if people only support the idea of Fujifilm FF but prefer owning APS-C cameras; why bother? GFX medium format in a different league and price category. Essentially camera market diminishing with less manufacturers: Ricoh-Pentax. Where is Yashica-CONTAX today? SONY FF new A7III price 2000 euros / USD based on low volumes and not made in Japan? Panasonic-Olympus with Leica M43 specialize in video like Panasonic GH5. FF not mandatory. Fujifilm need to prepare for new NIKON and CANON APS-C mirrorless cameras arriving next year?  

IMHO il formato FF è molto più buono di APS-C, ma ... odio i grandi obiettivi, e mi sono trasferito da Nikon FF a FUJI APS-C. Ho 67 anni e non accetto più la pesante macchina fotografica e le lenti pesanti.

The fuji is on the right road and makes the right cameras.

Read abot this concept on DPreview https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/0916243343/why-nikon-and-canon-should-build-mirrorless-as-a-second-system-but-probably-won-t?utm_source=self-desktop&utm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

Edited by bergat

You should look into the Tower Jazz/Panasonic relationship and how that counters Sony Imaging. Nikon FF MILC will use a Tower Jazz sensor, after their success with the d850.

I would not buy a Fuji FF camera or lenses. While the OP is asking whether I would support rather than buy Fuji FF products, buying is the ultimate way of expressing support. 

Would I be a cheerleader for Fuji FF products?  No,  not if I thought that this would dilute Fuji's attention from their currently superb product line.  Whether Fuji has the resources, manpower and leadership to design, produce and market a FF product line in addition to the current offerings remains to be seen.  And to what financial end?  Sony has had a 3+ year lead on FF mirrorless and Nikon and Canon are about to join this party in a very big way.

Back to my being a customer rather than a cheerleader...I bought Fuji gear because I wanted something lighter and smaller than my former Nikon and Canon FF systems.  Not much chance of a Fuji FF product line satisfying this requirement.