Headphone audio distorted (clipping) when recording external mic on X-H1

When external mic is plugged in (Sennheiser AVX MKE2) the booster grip, camera switches to external audio.

When monitoring the incoming audio (with the right levelling) I notice some heavy distortion in the headphone audio, even when audio is nicely levelled. (sounds like clipped audio)

When importing the clips into Avid, the audio is not clipped at all and of good quality.

So, or I have a bad booster grip or this is a firmware issue. A review on Digital Trends (https://www.digitaltrends.com/digital-camera-reviews/fujifilm-x-h1-review/) mentioned it before...

Is someone else having this issue? I have the latest firmware installed and Fuji is not mentioning this issue.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem too, and I was one of the early birds in my country.

Audio sounds "dirty" with almost static like distortions. I believe the guy from cinema 5d experienced the same problem too.

I have contacted Fuji Singapore about this and sadly the higher HQ denies this being a problem with our grips. Instead they claim that because they have tested it on their end with mic from Sennheiser and rode to clean results, the problem lies with my audio equipment.

It's highly disappointing.

• 3 weeks later...

First, ensure that your internal mic is disabled. 

Second, this seemingly is a known issue across not just this board but many others as well. You're not alone. Unfortunately (and in my case, anyway), in addition to what sounds (but actually is not) clipping when monitoring through the grip, I've noticed that there's a background hiss from the internal pre's even when switching internal mics off. It's *better* than leaving them enabled, but marginally. The best bet is to use an external recorder, it would seem.

Best of luck to everyone. I'm in the same boat. Hopefully a FW update clears this up.