Longer than 30s ?

mart46

Did someone recommend that? I said ones that were recommended here. Do you own it and find it works well?

Seems like most people want something intelligent for this task, which that one doesn't seem to be and which makes the recommended products expensive. If the camera did it then we'd have all the display+computing power we paid for on the job. 

What is your reason for wanting the camera to not offer 30+ second exposures?

Sounds like you're referring to my "preview-as-you-go bulb mode" comment, by which I meant the Olympus feature where the image develops on screen as time passes, so you can judge for yourself when it's bright enough and let go.

Obviously this is in a whole other league from just allowing 30+ second exposures with "T" mode, but it's an example of a great, useful feature that CaNikon never bothered to implement either. 

I'm unsure if someone else recommended this remote or not.  But certainly i did.  And google also might also if you gave it a try.  Also, someone above my post also recommended a $9.99 solution to your problem.

As for not wanting the camera to offer 30+ second exposures....you are putting words in my mouth.  I never said such a thing.

In fact about half of what i shoot is 30+ seconds considering i'm the father of two young children and pretty well can't shoot until they go to bed at night.  Funny as i have no issues in doing so with a $9 remote.  And yes, it's very reliable.  And if it weren't at that price you can probably afford three, just in case.

You don't need the camera to wipe your a$$ my friend!   :)  

As for not wanting the camera to offer 30+ second exposures....you are putting words in my mouth.  I never said such a thing.

So what do we disagree about? Why do you feel the need to compare my request to the camera "wiping my a$$" if we both agree that it would be better if I got what I wanted?

I said there should be a way to get >30s exposures without buying extra equipment and you all started attacking me for being lazy and cheap. I have no idea why you would do that unless you disagreed, even though I was pretty sure we DID agree because it's such a reasonable request. 

Anyway peace and love to all and good luck with your art and hope you enjoy the time you spend here on the forum!

The Canon compatable release from ebay have a lock and are dirt cheap, mine has worked no probs for 12 months, and its as light as a feather just keep in my bag, a little bit of searching on the net will answer all your questions about the subject, if you can be bothered.

I would also like to see longer exposures. Don't understand the 30 sec limit of almost all camera's. Thats outdated. My Ricoh GR has 30, 60, 120, 240 en 480 and that makes life a lot easier when you do a lot night and daylight long shutter photography like me. I do have remotes, also for the x-t10 but its a hassle, risc of damaging the small interface-door when using it for hours and hours and constantly switching locatiobs and totally unnecessary in my opinion. Adding 60 and 120 secs would be sufficient for me. And if you don't need this simple addition? Just don't use it! ;-)

• 1 year later...

I don't understand all the snarky responses to Jeremyclarkes feature requests.  Night sky and astrophotography are all long exposer.  Particularly if you want a shot of the foreground that isn't all noise.  Some foreground shot recommendations are 160s.  I too was disappointed that the app or the in camera SW wouldn't allow the user to set the longer exposure time.  Yes, I can buy a 3rd party trigger- which just adds to the list of things I am trying to fumble around with in the dark.  Yes, it's also just a minor annoyance, but I would also say that I would easily give up some of the Cirque-de-solei style flexibility Fuji gives you in other less interesting areas for one that seems far more useful for the increasingly popular astro and night photography field.

Remotes are cheap and if you're that worried about not being prepared to take a long exposure, how the hell do you intend to keep the camera steady?

I think some of their point and shoots have touch screen focus points.  That's what those are for.

You can't use the app for bulb exposure because you can't rely on the wifi connection.  How many exposures have you done since owning any camera that are longer than 30 seconds anyway?  Got examples of this work you do so much of?

• 4 months later...

It appears Fuji is aware of this issue.  I own both the XT-1 and the XT-2 and just learned the new Firmware update to be out shortly will allow the XT-2 to go 15 minutes in "T" mode rather than just the 30 seconds allowed now.  I am overjoyed with this one!  Maybe a new firmware for the XT-1 will be out at sometime but I believe the XT-1 is considered a discontinued item so hard to say.

• 2 months later...

I now have a problem with my remote, the connection into the camera is very loose (micro usb), almost impossible to keep the timer going. Has anyone else come across this problem please? I do a lot of night and slow shutter shooting so is a necessary evil!

MC