Fuji X-T20 Loss of Settings with a change of battery!

Hi fellow X-T20 users!  I started out with an X-T10 and used this camera for a couple of years.  Loved the camera and took some really great pics with this model.  Have recently upgraded to the X-T20 model and am delighted with the increase in mega-pixels, auto-focus speed and the recent firmware upgrade too.

However, I was surprised that when I slipped one battery out for a fully charged one, I found the camera had lost all of my preferred settings, even to having to re-input from "English" through the whole of the menus again.  The manual states that this will happen if the time lapse between battery changes is prolonged.  So, at the next at the battery change I had the new battery close to hand and slipped the used on out and immediately replaced it with the fully charged one.  It was not successful in rescuing my settings.  It appears that this camera has no capacity to hold/store the individual settings and has constantly dropped back into a full factory reset mode at each subsequent battery change.  Frustrating to say the least.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Am I missing something here?  Johnnie

A friend of mine had the same issue with his x-t20. He contacted Fuji and he was informed that it's an internal battery issue. When saying internal battery, as I understand it it's like the battery that motherboards have in PCs.

In his case this battery needed replacement. Unfotunately we the users don't have access on that camera location, so if you have the same problem, you will need to send your camera to fuji.

Regards,

Vlad

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This happened to me on a recent trip.  Very frustrating to bypass language and date every time.  Also, the photos from halfway through the trip have the wrong date now and I had to turn off the annoying focus beep every time I turned the camera on.  Because I bought the X-T20 more than a year ago, it's no longer under warranty.  Fuji quoted me $275 to replace it.  I'm pretty miffed that it failed so early and that it's so expensive to replace.

An update.  Fuji received my camera and quoted $381 to replace the internal battery.  This is absurd!  Essentially, slightly more than a year into this camera's life, I have to pay 40% of the replacement cost to replace the internal battery?  How good is that battery for?  Does anyone expect to spend $380 every year to year and a half for their "entry level" fuji camera?

Same thing is happening to me last week. 

Not only does the camera resets itself when you turn it off and then on, but when it’s in use. So when I customize a button or change anything else, it will reset itself to factory defaults almost immediately. The camera itself will continue to work.

I bought the camera over a month ago. I called support and they confirmed it was a bad board and unfortunately I need to send the camera in for repairs.

Absolutely love the camera. Completely changed the way I take pictures...but a failure like this, so soon after purchase, makes me cautious. 

Edited by IAmJoe

• 7 months later...

Same problem here. Mine was working fine, and suddenly my X-T20 starts having the exact same issue where all features reset. I have always had a battery in the camera and there has been no “dead time” where the internal battery would have been spent. 

I bought the camera used for $550 all-in. Now to read about the $380 replacement fee including my $20 postage... I’m better off selling this for parts only!

The only reason I am posting my issue here so as to mark another X-T20 with this same issue. Hopefully this does t affect the X-T30...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This just happened to my camera too. I had Cannon DSLR for 5 years never had a problem. This is my 2nd time having to send my XT20 in for repairs. First time the LCD stopped functioning and had to be replaced (camera was 13 months old), and now an internal battery issue at about 2 years. Is there a market to sell it as-is or would I get more value out of it if I pay to have it fixed and sell it? 

• 9 months later...

Hi I have a solution to the internal battery problem. 

I was having the same problem when I changed the main battery I lost settings, I left a fully charged battery in for a few days but same problem. 

So I connect the USB cable to the camera and my desktop and left over night, now its working as it should. So it seems the internal battery needs to be charged fron the USB. 

Good luck and let me know if you have success. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2020 at 4:45 PM, Charlie. W said:

Hi I have a solution to the internal battery problem. 

I was having the same problem when I changed the main battery I lost settings, I left a fully charged battery in for a few days but same problem. 

So I connect the USB cable to the camera and my desktop and left over night, now its working as it should. So it seems the internal battery needs to be charged fron the USB. 

Good luck and let me know if you have success. 

Is this solution applicable to XT20? Overnight, as in 8hrs in charging? 

After you did this does the problem of resetting happened again?

I have exactly same issue in my X-T20. When I replace the main battery instantly, the settings will prevail. When the replacement takes more than few seconds, every setting is lost.

That faulty internal battery is located on the motherboard and is extremely hard to reach as it requires a complete disassembly of the unit. The internal battery model is MS414GE and it's almost impossible to buy. FUJIFILM service in Poland already promised me to fixed it but they are unable to tell me how long it might take...

• 2 weeks later...

I did fixed mine, i replaced my internal battery... i couldnt find MS414GE (3V 2mah)  battery but i used MS412FE (3V 1mah). Very cheap battery (3USD for 6pcs in Aliexpress)

Its been 2 days now and i tested to removed the battery and back again.. so far its not changing to default settings.

I just look in google how to disassemble the xt20 and luckily its not very hard because no need to peel any rubber. The most difficult is you need to unsolder and solder some wires. Better buy this battery and let some pro do this.. even pc technician can do this

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2021 at 4:22 PM, R.K. gunter said:

Is this solution applicable to XT20? Overnight, as in 8hrs in charging? 

After you did this does the problem of resetting happened again?

Hey just checking in, I recently bought a x-t20 and have had the same problem. Did you follow his advice? Did it work? 

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue. I am charging the camera with a power bank to see if the issue is resolved by doing that. The light on the back is green though, so I think that might mean it is already charged. I just got this camera in the mail. An IR conversion. Not happy at all. Fuji should do better than this.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2021 at 7:33 AM, emnine said:

I did fixed mine, i replaced my internal battery... i couldnt find MS414GE (3V 2mah)  battery but i used MS412FE (3V 1mah). Very cheap battery (3USD for 6pcs in Aliexpress)

Its been 2 days now and i tested to removed the battery and back again.. so far its not changing to default settings.

I just look in google how to disassemble the xt20 and luckily its not very hard because no need to peel any rubber. The most difficult is you need to unsolder and solder some wires. Better buy this battery and let some pro do this.. even pc technician can do this

Hi,

could you tell me where the internal battery is situated? I would love to fix mine. 

Thanks in advance 

• 5 months later...

The same happened to my X-T20, which I bought used just a couple months ago.  Since it's wildly unreasonable to pay 90% of what I already paid, just for a battery replacement, I decided to just take it apart and see what's what, since it's basically dead, otherwise (everything resets in mine just when I turn it off and back on again with a fully charged removable battery still in it), I can't make it any less useful by totally killing it. Here's what I can tell you.

I'm no electronics tech, but I'm generally mechanically inclined.  Only people who consider themselves somewhat skilled should make this attempt.

The case comes apart pretty easily by removing a dozen or so small philips screws.  But the astounding design flaw is that the battery is on the inside of the main board, and to take that board out means unsoldering five wires and releasing five ribbon cables.  That stuff is all very small, and delicate.  I pulled it apart, and found the battery soldered to the board (why was this a good idea?)  I unsoldered it and put two leads on it so I could wire a replacement battery that was easy to reach and replace in the future.

But I could never quite get it all back to working, when reassembled, and the more I tried to remedy the issues, the more issues I had. So mine is officially dead.

What's more upsetting than the series of design flaws is that Fujifilm wants to charge so much for the battery replacement.  If I'd known exactly what I was doing, going in, and had proper tools and work space this whole thing would have been doable in an hour.  So Fujifilm making this operation so incredibly expensive to repair adds insult to injury.  Fujifilm should be apologizing that they sold a badly designed camera and replacing the battery for $50 (actually, they should replace it for free, it's their fault).

I'm considering selling my Fujifilm glass and buying something else, because I'm pretty angry that Fujifilm blew it on the design and then made it my problem.

Frazer

• 6 months later...

I have had an x-t2 for, I think, six years. It has been converted to infra red and I still use it. I also have an x-t3 and an x-e3. I have never experienced this problem. I can only surmise that there was a bad batch of batteries. If so Fuji should be fixing your cameras for free.