Sign in to follow this  
jjphoto

External Mic ?

Has anyone used an external Mic plugged in to the XH-1 ?

I've done testing with a set of Rode wireless lav mics and they seem to work well.

Just tried using the Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic with an XLR to 3.5mm plug cable,  the sound is fine but the camera started to act really odd with countless "lock ups" after adjusting levels.  I couldn't switch the camera off, using the on off switch  the camera appeared to shut down but the image on the back screen stayed on and was "live"  but way underexposed.  I had to keep on ejecting the camera battery and then it would go back to normal when turned on.

Adjusting the Mic levels on the camera was hit and miss.  You could see the audio indicator working but then when I adjusted the levels the indicator stopped working.  Camera off then on and the mic worked.

Really buggy for sound at the moment it appears.

John

I use an AKG lavalier through one channel of my Zoom H6, and a Beyerdynamics mic/headset through another, with the Zoom H6 acting as pre-amp, into my H1. (Zoom H6 line out into H1 mic port.)

Three things I've picked up along the way. First, the quality of the cable linking the Zoom H6 to H1 is very important: I was using crappy cheap cables, which caused all sorts of problems. Bought a top-of-the range one - much improved. Second, take the gain on the H1's External Mic Level Adjustment setting as low as you can - I have mine on -27dB - and adjust the levels on your external pre-amp. Third, I was using OK quality ear buds to monitor the sound from the headphone jack on the H1's grip - very poor. But when I switched to a decent set of studio quality headphones, I found that I was, in fact, getting very good sound after all.

Remember also to turn Internal Mic Level Adjustment off.

End result, as I say, excellent quality sound and no lock-ups or any other problems.

FWIW, I have tried using the automatic setting and found it fairly useless.

Good luck!

Chris

Direct to DSLR really doesn't ever sound good, no matter the mic. You really should be recording into a portable digital audio recorder or feeding the XH-1 with a solid preamp,  that's really how shotgun mics are designed to work. 

Double check that your AA batteries are good, that they're outputting correct voltage to the mic. The NTG also can accept 48v+ Phantom power as well, so short of a battery issue, try to feed the mic with phantom power and see if the issues persist. As stated prior, turning the internal mic OFF will help with the noise floor, assuming you've gotten the mic to actually work correctly with the camera. 

FWIW, I've had great success using XLR phantom and non phantom powered mics as well as simple lav mics amplified by a DXA Micro Pro which then feeds audio to the XH-1.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:26 AM, Lbisackson said:

I use a Tascam  dr 60dmKii as preamp going into the  x-h1. No issues ... That way I can have two or more  recordings of the sound and use whatever is cleaner

hello, I also have a Tascam dr 60dmKii to use as a preamplifier for the x-H1 ... but I have some problems with its configuration and settings. Audio recording is always disturbed. Can you help me?