External Mic ?

Has anyone used an external Mic plugged in to the XH-1 ?

I've done testing with a set of Rode wireless lav mics and they seem to work well.

Just tried using the Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic with an XLR to 3.5mm plug cable,  the sound is fine but the camera started to act really odd with countless "lock ups" after adjusting levels.  I couldn't switch the camera off, using the on off switch  the camera appeared to shut down but the image on the back screen stayed on and was "live"  but way underexposed.  I had to keep on ejecting the camera battery and then it would go back to normal when turned on.

Adjusting the Mic levels on the camera was hit and miss.  You could see the audio indicator working but then when I adjusted the levels the indicator stopped working.  Camera off then on and the mic worked.

Really buggy for sound at the moment it appears.

John

• 4 months later...

I use an AKG lavalier through one channel of my Zoom H6, and a Beyerdynamics mic/headset through another, with the Zoom H6 acting as pre-amp, into my H1. (Zoom H6 line out into H1 mic port.)

Three things I've picked up along the way. First, the quality of the cable linking the Zoom H6 to H1 is very important: I was using crappy cheap cables, which caused all sorts of problems. Bought a top-of-the range one - much improved. Second, take the gain on the H1's External Mic Level Adjustment setting as low as you can - I have mine on -27dB - and adjust the levels on your external pre-amp. Third, I was using OK quality ear buds to monitor the sound from the headphone jack on the H1's grip - very poor. But when I switched to a decent set of studio quality headphones, I found that I was, in fact, getting very good sound after all.

Remember also to turn Internal Mic Level Adjustment off.

End result, as I say, excellent quality sound and no lock-ups or any other problems.

FWIW, I have tried using the automatic setting and found it fairly useless.

Good luck!

Chris

• 3 months later...

Direct to DSLR really doesn't ever sound good, no matter the mic. You really should be recording into a portable digital audio recorder or feeding the XH-1 with a solid preamp,  that's really how shotgun mics are designed to work. 

Double check that your AA batteries are good, that they're outputting correct voltage to the mic. The NTG also can accept 48v+ Phantom power as well, so short of a battery issue, try to feed the mic with phantom power and see if the issues persist. As stated prior, turning the internal mic OFF will help with the noise floor, assuming you've gotten the mic to actually work correctly with the camera. 

FWIW, I've had great success using XLR phantom and non phantom powered mics as well as simple lav mics amplified by a DXA Micro Pro which then feeds audio to the XH-1.

• 5 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 7:26 AM, Lbisackson said:

I use a Tascam  dr 60dmKii as preamp going into the  x-h1. No issues ... That way I can have two or more  recordings of the sound and use whatever is cleaner

hello, I also have a Tascam dr 60dmKii to use as a preamplifier for the x-H1 ... but I have some problems with its configuration and settings. Audio recording is always disturbed. Can you help me?

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem. I have a Rode Video Micro attached to my Fuji X-H1 and whenever I adjust the db levels, the sound cuts off entirely. I have to turn the camera off and on again to get it working again. The same thing is happening with some Boya radio mics. Any time I change anything, the sound goes off completely. 

• 4 years later...
On 1/31/2019 at 1:23 PM, eurotrash said:

Direct to DSLR really doesn't ever sound good, no matter the mic. You really should be recording into a portable digital audio recorder or feeding the XH-1 with a solid preamp,  that's really how shotgun mics are designed to work. 

Double check that your AA batteries are good, that they're outputting correct voltage to the mic. The NTG also can accept 48v+ Phantom power as well, so short of a battery issue, try to feed the mic with phantom power and see if the issues persist. As stated prior, turning the internal mic OFF will help with the noise floor, assuming you've gotten the mic to actually work correctly with the camera. 

FWIW, I've had great success using XLR phantom and non phantom powered mics as well as simple lav mics amplified by a DXA Micro Pro which then feeds audio to the XH-1.

I have the Fuji H2, and reading this post purchased the DXA Max, and just received it and have a Rode SVMIC Pro and some new XLR mic's coming.  I have the H-2 set to -25~, and zero gain on the Rode, and max high gain on the DXA and a test level from a spoken word file on my iPhone gives good levels at 3ft from the iphone.   I want to minimize the H2s Pre, what do you or others using a external pre-amp find is a good H2 preamp  setting that gives good flexibility with recording levels between the H2, external pre-amp etc.   I realize many variables here, recording situation, sound /proximity, type of mic, and external preamp.  What Level would you find acceptable for the H2's Pre to contribute to the mix and achieve the best audio quality?

Edited by ChipB
I did further testing and need to reframe my actual question now.

New Information for me, After more research are learned there are 25 adjustable pre-amp settings on the H2.  20 below zero or negative dB and 5 above zero.  So same scenario as above, I set the X-H2 external Pre 5 clicks up from the least preamp level of -30, to -22.5, and I now have plenty of gain at 50% on the DXA-Max, and the Rode SVMIC Pro is at 0 gain.  All other settings are as others have posted, internal mic off, Jack is on Mic not line, and the gain is on manual.  If I increase the DXA to max, it will actually clip.  I will see how this will affect video  audio quality in the future, but I think running the H2 preamp at 25% below zero should minimixe its work and hiss. The new mics I have coming are small condenser, and have sensitivity similar to the Rode SVMIC Pro.  They will be good for close micing of instruments, piano, singing but are not sensitive for distance.  So trying to figure out the gain I'll need is important. Hope this helps someone else:-)