Fuji XT-2 Raw : worm effect when photographing small leaves and flowers

Hi all,

Spring came out of nowhere 3 weeks ago, bringing with it small and tender leaves and flowers. I got photography fever… Then I got worms when editing my Fuji X-T2 raw files with Lightroom...

Here is my journey.

https://blog.laurencebichon.com/en/fuji-xt2-raw-artifacts-and-worms

Please let me know your own journey. What do you think ?

Enjoy spring shooting !

Laurence

Hi all,

Spring came out of nowhere 3 weeks ago, bringing with it small and tender leaves and flowers. I got photography fever… Then I got worms when editing my Fuji X-T2 raw files with Lightroom...

Here is my journey.

I settled down with Irident X-transformer with these settings:

RAW process : more detailed

sharpening:none

Luminance noise reduction: Low

Color noise reduction : medium

Dng baseline : adobe default

Apply all corrections to the image. (all checked)

All the turn off lightroom checkboxes checked.

as for sharpening and further noise reduction I use NeatImage ( a Photoshop add-on)

Hi all,

Here is my journey.

Enjoy spring shooting !

Laurence

Capture One is the best overall solution. Seems you're figuring that out. Dump Adobe.

• 1 month later...

your post intrigued me because of the use of the word "worms" in that it described exactly what I saw when I took some images of some archways at a local mosque. The archways are white plaster, nothing more. But when I got the images home, at 100% in LR the images seemed to consist of, well, little worms. I tried to clear it up and submit an image to a stock agency and it was rejected for artifacts. That never happens to me. Ever. So, am I suffering from the Fuji v Adobe issue. 

I wish I could upload an image to show you but I'm not at home right now.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

here's what I mean. This was shot at ISO 100 and has +38 Clarity applied.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I have used several X-trans cameras. I have at present the XT-2. Regarding the worms effect on foliage etc have you compared the out of camera Jpeg to your raw file?. I have always found some sort of worming effect on small leaves and foliage is present with my out of camera jpegs ( using default settings ). I find that the Acros simulation shows this up really well. I am beginning to think that it is a quirk of the Fujifilm Xtrans sensor perhaps. The "worms" are also present with my little X30 too. 

Cheer ian.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:17 AM, dennisfriesen.me said:

I know this is an old topic. But i wanted to tell you guys how to avoid wormy artifacts in Lightroom. 

Under sharpening leave the "detail" slider at 0. Thats it. No wormy artifacts. No need to change your whole workflow...

On 7/19/2018 at 1:33 PM, Rap Fotografie said:

Dumping Adobe for Capture One? Such nonsense. Learn to use the tools right and Adobe LR and PS produce stunning results.

Bottom line learn what it is you are working with - that is an Xtrans sensor vs a Bayer sensor.  Fuji files are created with an Xtrans sensor which is quite sharper than a file created with a Bayer sensor.  Therefore default settings in Lightroom tend to over-sharpen when translating from the RAW format; thus creating worms.  This can be proven by simply over-sharpening any image - you will get the same effect.

I use a preset while importing to my Lightroom Catalog that sets all sharpening to 0, then as Capture One does, I increase the Noise Reduction to 50.  This provides an imported image to work with no different than if it came from a Bayer sensor or if I was in Capture One. 

Lately the "Go To" solution has been to use Capture One, but if you look at the default import settings it simply decreases sharpening and adds Noise Reduction to remove the worms.  Truth is both Lightroom and Capture One are both great software solutions, they simply handle Bayer & Xtrans sensors files a bit differently so you need to adjust accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...

The discussion on this topic is as old as the X-Trans sensor itself. It is now a well-established fact that Capture One and Silkypix Developer Studio offer the best approach to read out the correct sensor data, unless you only use Fujifilm X RAW Studio. You can certainly get good results in Adobe LR too, but the handling of the X-Trans sensor is different than in the three converters mentioned.