Tilt shift for GFX

pjsokal

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have bought a Hartblei Pentacon Six lens to GFX 50S shift adapter and a Hartblei Pentacon Six to GFX 50S tilt adapter (two separate adapters).  They are both very well made and each of them comes with a tripod mount.  However, I have not yet had time to test them.  I have been told from a very reliable source that the 50mm f/4 Zeiss Flektogon in Pentacon Six mount is very good with these adapters.  There are a few wider lenses, such as the Ukrainian 45mm Mir-26B (Russian B ) and of course plenty of longer lenses in this mount.

On 29th May I tested on the GFX 50S various Medium Format lenses with the Pentacon Six mount, using the Hartblei P6 to GFX shift adapter, which allows shifts of up to 12mm in any direction.  All of these lenses were tested at f/11 with five shift positions:

• Zero shift

• Fully shifted up

• Fully shifted down

• Fully shifted left

• Fully shifted right.

30mm Arsat MC fish-eye lens (MC version of the Arsenal “Zodiak”)

Excellent resolution and coverage at zero shift.  Vignetting at full shift and some chromatic aberrations visible near the edges.  Full shift up: top left-hand corner cut off.
With the inevitable rectilinear distortion of a fish-eye lens, a far better option is to use the 28mm Schneider-Kreuznach 35mm “full frame” (24×36mm) PC-Super-Angulon lens (at zero shift), via the Hartblei M42 to GFX adapter.

40mm Schneider-Kreuznach f/4 Curtagon in Exakta 66 mount

Format coverage excellent, however slight resolution fall-off at left and right edges, even with zero shift.  Significant resolution loss at edges and 1 stop light loss at edges at full shift.

40mm f/4 Bronica Zenzanon-S in Pentacon Six mount

Coverage and resolution excellent at zero shift.

At full shift, slight resolution fall-off very close to left and right edges.

45mm Mir 69Б (Russian B) (with Kood UV filter in place)

Fantastic resolution.

TINY amount of chromatic aberration at edges.

Very minor light fall of at edges on max shift (less than 1 stop)

50mm f/4 Carl Zeiss Flektogon (no filter)

SUPERB lens

Immaculate resolution and cover including with maximum shift

180mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar (no filter, no lens hood

Fantastic cover and resolution, including at maximum shift

TINY amount of chromatic aberration at edges

45mm f/3.5 Hartblei PCS shift lens (optical elements from the Arsenal Mir 26Б)

Zero shift: excellent resolution and coverage

Not surprisingly, with full shift on the lens AND on the shift adapter (!!), the fall-off in resolution and exposure is unacceptable.

However, this is not a realistic combination.  Better would be to use the Pentacon Six mount shift-only lenses on the Hartblei Pentacon Six to Fuji GFX Tilt adapter

and the Pentacon Six mount tilt-only lenses on the Hartblei Pentacon Six to Fuji GFX Shift adapter, thus providing both shift and tilt capabilities for all of these lenses.

With these combinations, the shift can be in one direction and the tilt in another, so any combinations of tilt and shift direction are possible.

This creates the equivalent of the Hartblei 45mm Tilt-Shift Super Rotator lens, which is no longer available new.

I have now tested three further lenses with the Hartblei shift adapter, using the same settings as with the above lenses.

55mm Arsat shift lens
No filter
Zero shift: Resolution good over most of frame.  Some loss of resolution near the edges.  Some chromatic aberrations.
Lens only fully shifted up and fully shifted down.  Resolution OK.
Lens only fully shifted left.  Very good resolution (although any defects may have been masked by out-of-focus tree branches nearer to the camera.
Lens fully shifted right.  Edge resolution not very good.
I then tested the same lens fully shifted (12mm) and the shift adapter fully shifted (also 12mm), a total of 24mm shift.
Coverage continued to be excellent, but resolution was not adequate.
The 50mm Flektogon is much sharper, even fully shifted, and there is no chromatic aberration.
I have seen better results with someone else’s 55mm Arsat shift lens.  There here appears to be a case of sample variation.

150mm Hartblei (improved version of the Arsenal/Arsat Kaleinar)
Zero shift: resolution is excellent, but depth of field is very shallow, even at f/11.
Fully shifted up: as with zero shift.
Fully shifted down: very slight loss of sharpness at very top.
Fully shifted L and R: Excellent resolution.
Coverage is excellent at all settings.  There are insignificant chromatic aberrations.
Even stopped down to f/16, depth of field continues to be very shallow.
Perhaps best as a portrait lens.
The 180mm Sonnar is definitely sharper.

500mm Arsenal/Arsat APO lens
Zero shift: Excellent resolution and coverage.  Tiny amount of chromatic aberrations.
12mm shift in any direction causes corner cut-off.  12mm shift to L or R causes side cut-off and loss of resolution near the edge.
This is probably OK with shifts up to 6 or 8mm.

• 6 months later...

Third party adapters with old lenses look weird on 50 Mpx sensors. And the shift movement sometimes is minimal.

I don't like Hassy, but it makes the HTS adapter, with tilt and shift functions. Why Fuji doesn't make anything like that?

I'm a mountain landscape photographer. I do also some repeat photography and need the faculty to shift lenses.

It would be enough to have shift function, at least 70% of the height of the frame (with very little distortion and 1,1x or 1,2x factor).
The view camera option is too much bulky up on the mountains.

As you can see from my test results, 12mm shift is possible with a wide range of Pentacon Six mount lenses on the Fuji GFX 50S via the Hartblei shift adapter.

I believe that Hartblei are shortly going to offer mount adapters in which the rear component can be swapped out.  With this, I hope to be able to use the same Hartblei adapter for Pentacon Six lenses, with a choice of camera mounts on the back of the adapter, so that I can use the lenses either on the Fuji GFX 50S or on a Sony A7Rii "full-frame" (35mm format) camera, thus having shift and tilt options on both of these cameras.

Trevor

• 9 months later...
On 5/30/2020 at 12:55 PM, Trevor R said:

On 29th May I tested on the GFX 50S various Medium Format lenses with the Pentacon Six mount, using the Hartblei P6 to GFX shift adapter, which allows shifts of up to 12mm in any direction.  All of these lenses were tested at f/11 with five shift positions:

• Zero shift

• Fully shifted up

• Fully shifted down

• Fully shifted left

• Fully shifted right.

30mm Arsat MC fish-eye lens (MC version of the Arsenal “Zodiak”)

Excellent resolution and coverage at zero shift.  Vignetting at full shift and some chromatic aberrations visible near the edges.  Full shift up: top left-hand corner cut off.
With the inevitable rectilinear distortion of a fish-eye lens, a far better option is to use the 28mm Schneider-Kreuznach 35mm “full frame” (24×36mm) PC-Super-Angulon lens (at zero shift), via the Hartblei M42 to GFX adapter.

40mm Schneider-Kreuznach f/4 Curtagon in Exakta 66 mount

Format coverage excellent, however slight resolution fall-off at left and right edges, even with zero shift.  Significant resolution loss at edges and 1 stop light loss at edges at full shift.

40mm f/4 Bronica Zenzanon-S in Pentacon Six mount

Coverage and resolution excellent at zero shift.

At full shift, slight resolution fall-off very close to left and right edges.

45mm Mir 69Б (Russian B) (with Kood UV filter in place)

Fantastic resolution.

TINY amount of chromatic aberration at edges.

Very minor light fall of at edges on max shift (less than 1 stop)

50mm f/4 Carl Zeiss Flektogon (no filter)

SUPERB lens

Immaculate resolution and cover including with maximum shift

180mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar (no filter, no lens hood

Fantastic cover and resolution, including at maximum shift

TINY amount of chromatic aberration at edges

45mm f/3.5 Hartblei PCS shift lens (optical elements from the Arsenal Mir 26Б)

Zero shift: excellent resolution and coverage

Not surprisingly, with full shift on the lens AND on the shift adapter (!!), the fall-off in resolution and exposure is unacceptable.

However, this is not a realistic combination.  Better would be to use the Pentacon Six mount shift-only lenses on the Hartblei Pentacon Six to Fuji GFX Tilt adapter

and the Pentacon Six mount tilt-only lenses on the Hartblei Pentacon Six to Fuji GFX Shift adapter, thus providing both shift and tilt capabilities for all of these lenses.

With these combinations, the shift can be in one direction and the tilt in another, so any combinations of tilt and shift direction are possible.

This creates the equivalent of the Hartblei 45mm Tilt-Shift Super Rotator lens, which is no longer available new.

Thanks for your precious suggestion. I agree with this post.