Tilt shift for GFX

pjsokal

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi. Here is an exmple of a self portrait with my gfx 50r & nikon 19 mm f4 & f8  with fotodiox adapter. 5 mm shift applyed and  two speedlight used. Tripod mounted.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 7 months later...

This is my current solution with the Fotodiox ROKR and a Mamiya 55mm M645 lens. This enables shift as well as tilt. The Canon lens seems sooo wide angle to start with, the depth of field seems a bit of overkill to then tilt as well. YMMV, of course.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 months later...

I have bought a Hartblei Pentacon Six lens to GFX 50S shift adapter and a Hartblei Pentacon Six to GFX 50S tilt adapter (two separate adapters).  They are both very well made and each of them comes with a tripod mount.  However, I have not yet had time to test them.  I have been told from a very reliable source that the 50mm f/4 Zeiss Flektogon in Pentacon Six mount is very good with these adapters.  There are a few wider lenses, such as the Ukrainian 45mm Mir-26B (Russian B ) and of course plenty of longer lenses in this mount.

On 29th May I tested on the GFX 50S various Medium Format lenses with the Pentacon Six mount, using the Hartblei P6 to GFX shift adapter, which allows shifts of up to 12mm in any direction.  All of these lenses were tested at f/11 with five shift positions:

• Zero shift

• Fully shifted up

• Fully shifted down

• Fully shifted left

• Fully shifted right.

30mm Arsat MC fish-eye lens (MC version of the Arsenal “Zodiak”)

Excellent resolution and coverage at zero shift.  Vignetting at full shift and some chromatic aberrations visible near the edges.  Full shift up: top left-hand corner cut off.
With the inevitable rectilinear distortion of a fish-eye lens, a far better option is to use the 28mm Schneider-Kreuznach 35mm “full frame” (24×36mm) PC-Super-Angulon lens (at zero shift), via the Hartblei M42 to GFX adapter.

40mm Schneider-Kreuznach f/4 Curtagon in Exakta 66 mount

Format coverage excellent, however slight resolution fall-off at left and right edges, even with zero shift.  Significant resolution loss at edges and 1 stop light loss at edges at full shift.

40mm f/4 Bronica Zenzanon-S in Pentacon Six mount

Coverage and resolution excellent at zero shift.

At full shift, slight resolution fall-off very close to left and right edges.

45mm Mir 69Б (Russian B) (with Kood UV filter in place)

Fantastic resolution.

TINY amount of chromatic aberration at edges.

Very minor light fall of at edges on max shift (less than 1 stop)

50mm f/4 Carl Zeiss Flektogon (no filter)

SUPERB lens

Immaculate resolution and cover including with maximum shift

180mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar (no filter, no lens hood

Fantastic cover and resolution, including at maximum shift

TINY amount of chromatic aberration at edges

45mm f/3.5 Hartblei PCS shift lens (optical elements from the Arsenal Mir 26Б)

Zero shift: excellent resolution and coverage

Not surprisingly, with full shift on the lens AND on the shift adapter (!!), the fall-off in resolution and exposure is unacceptable.

However, this is not a realistic combination.  Better would be to use the Pentacon Six mount shift-only lenses on the Hartblei Pentacon Six to Fuji GFX Tilt adapter

and the Pentacon Six mount tilt-only lenses on the Hartblei Pentacon Six to Fuji GFX Shift adapter, thus providing both shift and tilt capabilities for all of these lenses.

With these combinations, the shift can be in one direction and the tilt in another, so any combinations of tilt and shift direction are possible.

This creates the equivalent of the Hartblei 45mm Tilt-Shift Super Rotator lens, which is no longer available new.

I have now tested three further lenses with the Hartblei shift adapter, using the same settings as with the above lenses.

55mm Arsat shift lens
No filter
Zero shift: Resolution good over most of frame.  Some loss of resolution near the edges.  Some chromatic aberrations.
Lens only fully shifted up and fully shifted down.  Resolution OK.
Lens only fully shifted left.  Very good resolution (although any defects may have been masked by out-of-focus tree branches nearer to the camera.
Lens fully shifted right.  Edge resolution not very good.
I then tested the same lens fully shifted (12mm) and the shift adapter fully shifted (also 12mm), a total of 24mm shift.
Coverage continued to be excellent, but resolution was not adequate.
The 50mm Flektogon is much sharper, even fully shifted, and there is no chromatic aberration.
I have seen better results with someone else’s 55mm Arsat shift lens.  There here appears to be a case of sample variation.

150mm Hartblei (improved version of the Arsenal/Arsat Kaleinar)
Zero shift: resolution is excellent, but depth of field is very shallow, even at f/11.
Fully shifted up: as with zero shift.
Fully shifted down: very slight loss of sharpness at very top.
Fully shifted L and R: Excellent resolution.
Coverage is excellent at all settings.  There are insignificant chromatic aberrations.
Even stopped down to f/16, depth of field continues to be very shallow.
Perhaps best as a portrait lens.
The 180mm Sonnar is definitely sharper.

500mm Arsenal/Arsat APO lens
Zero shift: Excellent resolution and coverage.  Tiny amount of chromatic aberrations.
12mm shift in any direction causes corner cut-off.  12mm shift to L or R causes side cut-off and loss of resolution near the edge.
This is probably OK with shifts up to 6 or 8mm.

• 6 months later...

Third party adapters with old lenses look weird on 50 Mpx sensors. And the shift movement sometimes is minimal.

I don't like Hassy, but it makes the HTS adapter, with tilt and shift functions. Why Fuji doesn't make anything like that?

I'm a mountain landscape photographer. I do also some repeat photography and need the faculty to shift lenses.

It would be enough to have shift function, at least 70% of the height of the frame (with very little distortion and 1,1x or 1,2x factor).
The view camera option is too much bulky up on the mountains.

As you can see from my test results, 12mm shift is possible with a wide range of Pentacon Six mount lenses on the Fuji GFX 50S via the Hartblei shift adapter.

I believe that Hartblei are shortly going to offer mount adapters in which the rear component can be swapped out.  With this, I hope to be able to use the same Hartblei adapter for Pentacon Six lenses, with a choice of camera mounts on the back of the adapter, so that I can use the lenses either on the Fuji GFX 50S or on a Sony A7Rii "full-frame" (35mm format) camera, thus having shift and tilt options on both of these cameras.

Trevor

• 9 months later...
On 5/30/2020 at 12:55 PM, Trevor R said:

On 29th May I tested on the GFX 50S various Medium Format lenses with the Pentacon Six mount, using the Hartblei P6 to GFX shift adapter, which allows shifts of up to 12mm in any direction.  All of these lenses were tested at f/11 with five shift positions:

• Zero shift

• Fully shifted up

• Fully shifted down

• Fully shifted left

• Fully shifted right.

30mm Arsat MC fish-eye lens (MC version of the Arsenal “Zodiak”)

Excellent resolution and coverage at zero shift.  Vignetting at full shift and some chromatic aberrations visible near the edges.  Full shift up: top left-hand corner cut off.
With the inevitable rectilinear distortion of a fish-eye lens, a far better option is to use the 28mm Schneider-Kreuznach 35mm “full frame” (24×36mm) PC-Super-Angulon lens (at zero shift), via the Hartblei M42 to GFX adapter.

40mm Schneider-Kreuznach f/4 Curtagon in Exakta 66 mount

Format coverage excellent, however slight resolution fall-off at left and right edges, even with zero shift.  Significant resolution loss at edges and 1 stop light loss at edges at full shift.

40mm f/4 Bronica Zenzanon-S in Pentacon Six mount

Coverage and resolution excellent at zero shift.

At full shift, slight resolution fall-off very close to left and right edges.

45mm Mir 69Б (Russian B) (with Kood UV filter in place)

Fantastic resolution.

TINY amount of chromatic aberration at edges.

Very minor light fall of at edges on max shift (less than 1 stop)

50mm f/4 Carl Zeiss Flektogon (no filter)

SUPERB lens

Immaculate resolution and cover including with maximum shift

180mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar (no filter, no lens hood

Fantastic cover and resolution, including at maximum shift

TINY amount of chromatic aberration at edges

45mm f/3.5 Hartblei PCS shift lens (optical elements from the Arsenal Mir 26Б)

Zero shift: excellent resolution and coverage

Not surprisingly, with full shift on the lens AND on the shift adapter (!!), the fall-off in resolution and exposure is unacceptable.

However, this is not a realistic combination.  Better would be to use the Pentacon Six mount shift-only lenses on the Hartblei Pentacon Six to Fuji GFX Tilt adapter

and the Pentacon Six mount tilt-only lenses on the Hartblei Pentacon Six to Fuji GFX Shift adapter, thus providing both shift and tilt capabilities for all of these lenses.

With these combinations, the shift can be in one direction and the tilt in another, so any combinations of tilt and shift direction are possible.

This creates the equivalent of the Hartblei 45mm Tilt-Shift Super Rotator lens, which is no longer available new.

Thanks for your precious suggestion. I agree with this post.

• 3 months later...

I use
Schneider Kreuznach PC-Super-Angulon 28mm f2.8 Contax Yashica C/Y mount

But not as SHIFT (is possible), i use it because this can draw full GFX circle ... wide angle lens.

I have this tip from one professional photographer, that take hotel/resort room in tropical area, this lens in not cheap, is relative expansive, but is cheaper that medium-format lens

I have obtained some superb architectural pictures with the Schneider Kreuznach PC-Super-Angulon 28mm lens fully shifted up in horizontal format on a Sony A7Rii "full-frame" camera.  On the Fuji GFX50S there is substantial fall-off in light intensity in the corners and even to some extent at the sides at full aperture and on down to f/5.6.  At f/8, fall-off is less obvious at the sides, though still present, with still considerable fall-off in the corners.  At f/11 both of these improve slightly, but vignetting correction will be necessary in software, with excellent results possible.  I have not tried shifting this lens on the GFX50S; selected Pentacon Six lenses do a better job (but there is nothing wider than 40mm, and even that is extremely hard to find).

Shift lenses on the Fuji GFX 50S

I recently purchased the Laowa 15mm f/4.5 SHIFT lens.

I chose to buy it in the Canon EF mount, with two adapters, Canon EF to Sony FE A7Rii etc and Canon EF to Fuji GFX 50S, and initial results on both cameras are excellent.

At the same time, I bought the lens support, which mounts the front of the lens onto a tripod, and this works very well, enabling the photographer to move the back of the lens and the camera left, right, up, down and diagonally, in order to get a yet wider angle of view with a series of images that will stitch together well..

I also bought the 100mm Magnetic Filter Holder with one Magnetic frame and have subsequently bought various filters and further magnetic frames.

Assembling the frames requires the use of a small file, as the tabs in the top and bottom of the frame are too big for the slots in the sides of the frame.  Once the tabs are filed down, the frame assembles well (but would probably never come back apart without breaking).  I have bought Lee 2mm thick graduated filters and these fitted into the magnetic frames well.

This is not cheap, but less than half the price of the Nikon and Canon shift/tilt lenses, I believe.

It does not tilt, but I only use tilt lenses for close-up and macro photography.  For architecture, which is where shift lenses are at the best, tilt is not normally needed.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am doing research on a tilt lens for my GFX 50s II at the moment. Laowa 20mm f/4 Zero-D Shift looks promising. The use I will make of this lens is mostly architectural and landscape panoramic. Does anyone have experience with this lens? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello Acinca

My experience is limited.  I have the Laowa 15mm and 20mm shift lenses.  On the "full frame" Sony A7Rii, the 15mm produces excellent results right into the corners, even fully shifted.  On the GFX 50S there is clear fall-off of image brightness at the edges when the lens is fully shifted sideways.

I have so far only used the 20mm lens unshifted, where the results of the GFX format are totally satisfactory.  I would expect good results shifted, but would expect to need to do some brightness correction at the edge opposite the direction of shift when shifting horizontally (along the long axis of the image) on a GFX camera.

Both lenses are beautifully made and the 20mm lens has the advantage of accepting standard filters without any sort of special mount, although these should be slimline filters, and even then I suspect that they may introduce some vignetting in the corners when fully shifted.

I hope that this helps as far as it goes.

Trevor

Bear in mind that both of these lenses are shift only, not shift and tilt, although for architectural and landscape panoramic photography, a tilt facility is not normally needed.  Tilt can be very helpful with close-up and macro work.

Trevor

I have just done a quick test for you, hand-held, with the 20mm Laowa lens on a GFX 100 and the results are excellent, although I have not yet seen them on a computer monitor, although substantially zoomed on the camera back.

I set the aperture at f/8, which would with most lenses been a good aperture to use for most photography, and fully shifted left along the long axis, with the camera horizontal for one shot and then fully shifted right for the next shot.  I have observed very minor light loss (image darkening) at the edge opposite the direction of shift, apparently less than with the 15mm lens, and easily correctable in imaging software.

One must double-check the orientation of the lens shade, which is rotatable, to avoid vignetting from it, and where possible I think that I would remove the lens shade when shooting fully shifted, just in case it slightly shaded the edge of the image area.

Hope this is helpful.

For landscape photography I sometimes like to shift fully left and then fully right and to stitch the resulting images on the computer, and I have done this with the 15mm Laowa lens on the Sony "full frame" camera, but not yet with the 20mm lens on the GFX.  Again, where possible this is best done using a tripod, but I have also obtained some excellent results with the camera hand-held, doing my best to avoid changing the height of the image in the frame.