Black blobs on my photos

rogercorke

I'm loving my new X-T20 except that, every so often , a small black blob appears on my photos. It's not on every photo. Take a look at these two. They were taken two days apart and, in between, the black blob disappeared, only to reappear -

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

less dark but in the same place. Any suggestions?

That is some serious crap (i'm thinking dirt blobs, but I wonder if the darker ones are oil?) on the sensor!  LOL.  I suggest either taking it somewhere (reputable) and getting the sensor cleaned, or possibly learning to do it yourself. There are many great tutorials on the web. 

I might suggest you change lenses more carefully.  Don't change it heavy wind.  Also, point the lens opening on the camera downward when changing lenses.

Good Luck

And the reason you don't see them on all images is because you'll only see them when you stop the lens down.  Say down to F11, F16, etc.  If you shoot at larger apertures -- such as F8, F5.6, F4, F2.8 you probably won't see them (as much) though they are there - especially when viewed at 100% in your image editing software.

Good Luck -- Nothing to worry about here.

Looking at the scene I think that another reason why you may have had sensor problems is the climate that you are operating your camera in.

Tropical or subtropical climate is very bad for sensors when you go in an out of air conditioned areas.

It is impossible to avoid that a layer of condensation forms on all glass surfaces, which includes the sensor.

Of course, this is the moment in which you may be prone to cause particles to stick to the sensor if you don’t wait for the condensation to disappear.

I have had these conditions in Cuba and the Dominican Republic so I am assuming that you might have encountered similar situations.

This are probably so big particles to be visible with the naked eye . I have bought a magnifier lens with a ring of leds to inspect the sensor after having had several bad experiences.

Of course you can first start by blowing clean air (don’t use a spray canister by all means they often contain droplets which will soil the sensor) although most of the times this is useless.

After that you go to a wet clear or a gel clean.

When cleaning the sensor remember than NOT all products are equally recommended for Fuji sensors.

Rather than do it yourself, have the shop do this for you. The potential for causing havoc is very high if you don’t know what you are doing.

Fortunately my shop does this for free as a complimentary service 

Looking at the scene I think that another reason why you may have had sensor problems is the climate that you are operating your camera in.

Tropical or subtropical climate is very bad for sensors when you go in an out of air conditioned areas.

It is impossible to avoid that a layer of condensation forms on all glass surfaces, which includes the sensor.

Of course, this is the moment in which you may be prone to cause particles to stick to the sensor if you don’t wait for the condensation to disappear.

I have had these conditions in Cuba and the Dominican Republic so I am assuming that you might have encountered similar situations.

This are probably so big particles to be visible with the naked eye . I have bought a magnifier lens with a ring of leds to inspect the sensor after having had several bad experiences.

Of course you can first start by blowing clean air (don’t use a spray canister by all means they often contain droplets which will soil the sensor) although most of the times this is useless.

When cleaning the sensor remember than NOT all products are equally recommended for Fuji sensors.

Rather than do it yourself, have the shop do this for you. The potential for causing havoc is very high if you don’t know what you are doing.

EXCELLENT point!  I forgot about that!  When I was working in Florida - Keys and everglades, I put my camera in a zip lock bag whenever I was in a cold car, or cold room and went outside -- also in reverse.  Doing so, I experienced zero condensation buildup on the body or lens.   But in the OP's case I think it's just dust and dirt in there...  If it were condensation, the small blobs would have a "water ring" around them so it looks like just carelessness (unintentional of course) when swapping lenses.  IMHO

I didn’t infer this were condensation droplets.

If OP were to, for example, disconnect the camera and the lens for changing a lens or just ease the de-fogging process, the layer of moisture would trap a spec of dust which will then be drying (and won’t come off with a a blow of an air bellows) onto the sensor adhering to it.

This is what I suggest it MIGHT have happened.