Hi there, a s a new user of the X-H1 I want to go and shoot some close ups of bugs and flowers without having to use Macro lens or extension tubes, is there a setting in the camera that will assist with this?

Cheers 

No, for macro you'll need either a macro lens, extension tubes or close-up lenses. Close-up lenses can be very affordable and they are easy to use. You just screw them on your lens like a filter.

Edited by Alex Cremers

Hi laurelxr!

Congratulations, you've bought yourself quite advanced and expensive camera. That's the good part.

The bad part is that buying a better set of laws of physics costs a lot more.

You'll be better off just buying a macro lens and set of appropriate lights.

Good luck!

Laurel, you do not say what lenses you have? There is no specific camera setting for macro photography. Fuji’s extension tubes are very good but expensive. Don’t dismiss them that would be an easier way to adapt almost any lens to be able you to get a bit closer.

Another way to get closer is a telephoto lens but not ideal.

A  telephoto lens  ( although I think you mean a longer focal length lens) without extended macro facility won’t get you any close( r ) up than shorter focal length lens,  but would place you further away while from the subject while keeping more or less the dimension of a shorter focal lens.

A close-up lens ( varying from a close-up simple lens to one with a system of lenses) will bring the shortest focal distance to such level that you will have a very close-up image, but you will be very close to the subject too.

A longer focal objective lens + a close up lens will allow a higher magnification while staying further away.

Edited by milandro

A longer focal objective lens + a close up lens will allow a higher magnification while staying further away.

This is very good advice. It is also a reasonably inexpensive way to explore close-up photography and have some fun AND to assess whether spending some serious money on a good quality macro lens would be worth it.

Rand

Thanks for all the suggestions, I went out with the 18-55 on and shot some flowers, they happened to have some critters on them so it worked, then in post processing cropped in as well. I have a good range of lenses, 50-140 and the 100-400 and 1.4 teleconverter. Will look at adding a macro lens or extension tubes to the kit some day. Will have to sell on the XT1 I upgraded from first. Attached is the image I ended up with.

Cheers

post-23530-0-97051200-1524534318_thumb.jpg

Rather than buy ext tubes, has anyone any thoughts regarding the use of a 1,4 converter on the 50-140 lens.

This combination will get me a bigger imager and keep me at a longer distance from the subject, providing the image quality does not suffer.