XF 27mm error

VeijoM

Hi!

I recently bought the X-H1 and my first lens was supposed to be the 27mm. I happened to get the 18-55mm lens very cheaply at the time of the camera purchase and received my 27mm just couple of days ago.

I could take some shots with the XF27mm, but within a day I started receiving error message Turn Camera OFF and turn ON again. First I thought it was b/c the X-H1 was new and had some bug. Then I realized that the problem was with the lens. The lens might focus some time, and just suddenly it stucks and the camera gives the error message. It seems as if the lens cannot move the front element like it should. It might stay "out" when I turn the camera off and another time it works and "retracts" when turning the camera on or off.

So, faulty lens and sadly I found out browsing around that there are similar experiences with this particular lens model. My question is, is the lens very sensitive to break. I mean, should I try to get it repaired or just give up and end buying some other lens model? I did browse through Flickr and found out that the IQ and rendering of this lens is something I would like to have, so it would be sad to not keep it and repair it. But I hate to doubt the reliability of my gear. Any similar experiences or experiences of how durable the lens is when it is a good sample?

-Veijo-

Thank you for the responses.

No, I do not use filters and I haven't even touched the front element area except using the lens front cap.

The problem is in the lens itself. It seems the gearing goes kind of off rail at some point of focusing and then the focusing stops working and the camera gives the error. It works some time possibly and then again, suddenly, during focusing it stops working. I replicated the problem quite succesfully By pointing the lens upwards when focusing. It almost every time locks up there. But even when shooting horizontally this happens. And even if it won't totally lock up, it kinda freezes to wrong focus setting and needs some focusing tries to "wake up".

I contacted Fuji England's repair service and the person answering didn't recognize this problem to be a common problem. They suggested to send it for repair.

I have contacted the seller and probably send it to the seller so that they can send it to repair (or replace the lens, whatever they choose).

So, I end up still trying with the lens whenever I get it back working. Luckily it wasn't my only lens covering that focal lenght :-)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing your experience. XF 27mm F2.8 is quite fragile lens, it can serve great for many years but it can also suddenly fail like it happened with you and numerous other people.

I've disassembled this lens few times. It's nicely built, but that moving core is often causing problems.

Here's related article with exposed Fujinon 27mm F1.8 gears, maybe your lens had some of the gear teeth cracked.

Edited by yukosteel

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply. I got it repaired by the seller without costs for me. Worked well after the repair, though I do not know what was repaired. It was the same lens by it's serial number so the seller didn't just swap it to a new one.

After some consideration I ended up selling the lens and buy a 23mm lens instead. Got at a very good price a used XF23mm F1.4 and I am not much giving thought for the 27mm anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, I'm now encountering the same problem described by the original poster with my 27/2.8.

I've used this lens without a problem for 3.5 years on an X-M1 body - although not my first-choice prime, Lightroom tells me I've taken around 2000 images with it. Recently I picked up a secondhand X-T1; happily took around 150 pics with the 27/2.8 over a few weeks, but on one of first occasions I took a photo close to the lens's MFD, the front/central element extended to its full extent and couldn't be recessed back into the lens body when I powered down the camera. Got the same "turn camera OFF and ON" message. Now the lens malfunctions in the same way whenever I take a near-macro shot, on either X-M1 or X-T1 body. Focusing several metres away: no problem. But a close-range shot extends that element and the motor can't pull it back in at power-off.

The only way I can continue to use the 27/2.8 is to physically force the central element back into the body of the lens, while the camera is off, and the lens cap on, applying even pressure on the front of the cap. I'm sure if I continue to mis-treat the gears in this way it will eventually fail entirely. (Occasionally I can avoid the error by making sure the last photo I take before switching off the camera is focused at near-infinity but even that doesn't always work). Odd that the lens appears be able to switch between macro and infinity focusing without an issue during continuous use, but as soon as you switch the camera off, it can't pull that element back in - hence the error.

I guess it's just a coincidence that this failure happened on the X-T1 body (after three years of trouble-free use on the X-M1), unless there's something particular to that body/lens combination. I'll try a firmware upgrade (it's v1.00, and v1.11 is available) and cleaning the contacts, but it may be a fatal error for this lens.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. I sent it to Fujifilm USA, was quoted $170 + shipping and taxes. I don't know why it is failing though. Any advice? is it worth repairing? or should I request/buy a replacement?

I had this lens for a long time, but barely used it. I started using it after buying an X100F, then discovering that an X-T1 + XF27mm has almost the same form factor. So I sold my X100F and stuck with my best friend the X-T1 lol

It may be gear problem due to use time. There are few blocking stoppers keeping focusing range and they may crack over time allowing lens to overfocus causing error.

Another problem - could be electronics, common recommendation is to try to clean the lens contacts and see if it helps.

Can you write more about your lens symptoms? I'll try to help discover what is wrong with it.

If the lens is not repairable, then it can be reused to create manual focus mod of XF 27mm with constant F2.8.

At your place I'd try to find the way to repair the lens, and if that is not possible would sell it for parts and purchase new one on eBay - there are plenty of them for about $200

Thank you @yukosteel for your reply. Regarding the symptoms, after attaching the lens, I get an error message asking to restart the camera (X-T1). The camera will not work while the error message is on display, and I couldn't dismiss the error message. I cleaned the contacts and tried to rotate the lens slightly in both directions while the camera is off, then started the camera again, and the error message persisted. I tried to do that while the camera is on, with no success either. 

I think I'm going to ask Fujifilm USA to send it back, and go with your recommendation of buying another one for about $200 instead of repair it. 

7 hours ago, Amoudiom said:

I think I'm going to ask Fujifilm USA to send it back, and go with your recommendation of buying another one for about $200 instead of repair it. 

I still have some working electronics parts from my XF 27mm converted to manual. If you are interested I can try to look at your lens and see if AF drive replacement helps, or check if there is any mechanical damage inside which I can also fix by reusing parts I have. At least it worths trying. If it's easy fix you don't need to buy another XF 27mm, if it's non-mechanic or AF module problem (e.g. failed other component) I'll just send it back and you can list it for parts or convert to manual lens.

16 hours ago, yukosteel said:

I still have some working electronics parts from my XF 27mm converted to manual. If you are interested I can try to look at your lens and see if AF drive replacement helps, or check if there is any mechanical damage inside which I can also fix by reusing parts I have. At least it worths trying. If it's easy fix you don't need to buy another XF 27mm, if it's non-mechanic or AF module problem (e.g. failed other component) I'll just send it back and you can list it for parts or convert to manual lens.

I'll get in contact with you as soon as I receive it back and open it up. I found this online guide that I will use in the repair job. This should be fun! 

I found your post (below) which I will follow.

12 hours ago, Amoudiom said:

I'll get in contact with you as soon as I receive it back and open it up. I found this online guide that I will use in the repair job. This should be fun! 

I found your post (below) which I will follow.

Since that time I've disassembled few more XF 27mm F2.8, here is updated and extended guide of Fuji XF 27mm F2.8 disassembly.

If you discover any mechanical damage, please let me know, I'll think how it can be repaired.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @yukosteel,

I wanted to start the project right at this moment, and looking at your guide, you don't specify how to pry open the name plate? Is it adhered to the lens body using adhesive? how to pry it off? I tried to pry it off using a Jimmy, and noticed that I had incurred some minor damage so I stopped. 

Omar

Hello Omar. The name plate has adhesive tape under it. I'd recommend to use more slim tool like on this picture.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

8 hours ago, yukosteel said:

Hello Omar. The name plate has adhesive tape under it. I'd recommend to use more slim tool like on this picture.

Perfect, I'll try that again. I would recommend you add this to your blog post (article) and state that this is an adhesive that you are trying to overcome. For someone like me with no experience, such information is very valuable.

• 11 months later...

I have the 27mm lens, and I too started to see these 'Turn off and on ..." type of problems. This was after I fitted a 37 to 58 mm filter thread converter plus a 58mm uv filter. The reason for me doing this was no standardise the filter threads on all my lenses. It seems to me from other's contributions that the tiny motor struggles when there is too much excess weight it has to move, and malfunctions. I took the filter/converter off, and it was happy again.

Thanks for posting that, it's good to know that excessive filter set weight is causing XF 27mm lens malfunctioning. Now I'm curious if rumored XF 27mm II lens will have different mechanical approach to address cases when multiple front filter weight is required to stay there.

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2018 at 10:14 AM, tourajsig2 said:

Sadly, I'm now encountering the same problem described by the original poster with my 27/2.8.

I've used this lens without a problem for 3.5 years on an X-M1 body - although not my first-choice prime, Lightroom tells me I've taken around 2000 images with it. Recently I picked up a secondhand X-T1; happily took around 150 pics with the 27/2.8 over a few weeks, but on one of first occasions I took a photo close to the lens's MFD, the front/central element extended to its full extent and couldn't be recessed back into the lens body when I powered down the camera. Got the same "turn camera OFF and ON" message. Now the lens malfunctions in the same way whenever I take a near-macro shot, on either X-M1 or X-T1 body. Focusing several metres away: no problem. But a close-range shot extends that element and the motor can't pull it back in at power-off.

The only way I can continue to use the 27/2.8 is to physically force the central element back into the body of the lens, while the camera is off, and the lens cap on, applying even pressure on the front of the cap. I'm sure if I continue to mis-treat the gears in this way it will eventually fail entirely. (Occasionally I can avoid the error by making sure the last photo I take before switching off the camera is focused at near-infinity but even that doesn't always work). Odd that the lens appears be able to switch between macro and infinity focusing without an issue during continuous use, but as soon as you switch the camera off, it can't pull that element back in - hence the error.

I guess it's just a coincidence that this failure happened on the X-T1 body (after three years of trouble-free use on the X-M1), unless there's something particular to that body/lens combination. I'll try a firmware upgrade (it's v1.00, and v1.11 is available) and cleaning the contacts, but it may be a fatal error for this lens.

I have the exact same problem. Very frustrating for a Fuji lens... Is the compoany doing anything about it? Is the Mk II the same?

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...