Sign in to follow this  
AZWolf

Speed test Luminar Jupiter update- article

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I spent the last couple weeks throwing tough files (Fuji X-Trans 24MP, Sony 42MP) at the Luminar Jupiter update that was officially released yesterday (12 April) Skylum gave me an advance copy to do the testing so I wrote a review of this new release of Luminar, which I just posted on my blog and was also picked up by PetaPixel.

I did my testing on an averagely equipped laptop and a fast desktop, both Macs. I have been hearing that Windows users aren't seeing speed increases as dramatic as on Mac platform. In case you saw Skylum's charts in their marketing, they make it look faster than my real world tests. But in all fairness, I don't know how they conducted their tests. I did mine with a digital stopwatch.

I also covered most of the other significant changes in the update. BTW, this update is free to current owners of Luminar 2018. In my article I also have links and codes that allow you to piggyback discounts if you have an interest in purchasing or upgrading from the 2017 version. Skylum is also including a bunch of extra freebies, many of which look useful.

Hope you like the review- the data part is empirical but of course I express my opinions about other aspects, both positive and not positive.

Joel

Edited by AZWolf

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By hillytimes
      My X-Pro2 isn't giving me the option to switch between Jpeg to RAW/Jpeg, within 'image quality' I'm just given 'Normal' and 'Fine'. Can anyone help?

• By Igor Olegich
      Hello everyone! Who, therefore, thinks about?
      X RAW STUDIO why not on iOS / Android tablets? This is so obvious! Convenience and mobility of use! Has anyone told them about this? How to send them to think!
    • By cinsoozy
      Hello folks! 😊
      So far no one has been able to help on this...I have a new XT30 (updated) and a Macbook (which I just updated when this problem occurred but the update didn't help).  I have RAW & Fine set in the camera and PC Connection mode set at "USB RAW/Conv.".....and the MAC only "sees" the .jpg.  Not RAW.  😣
      Camera store and so far online don't seem to have answer to somehow get the RAW seen so I can work with it..  Anybody out there have any suggestions or experiences?
      Cindy
    • By AKXt2
      Hello Everyone, 
      I just picked up an XT2 and this is my first Fuji camera, really excited about using it. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and reading forum post to familiarize myself with the camera and its settings. I am very impressed by the film simulations but really confused on how to use them in conjunction with RAW files. I was under the impression that if I shoot RAW+JPEG(Fine/Norma) with a film simulation selected (e.g. Chrome). Simulation is applied to JPEG only and RAW file is pure raw without any processing that I can edit however I want in post processing. But I took the camera out for the first time and realized the film simulation is applied to both JPEG and RAW. Is there a way to shoot with film simulation applied to JPEG but get unprocessed RAW files from XT2? 
      Thanks for everyone's help in advance! 
    • By Hemanth
      I have a Lightroom subscription and have been ysing it for a while now, however the RAF didn’t seem very good, certainly no where as good as jpegs..then i tried to use enhance details and found almost no difference and in some cases a much smoother image as if it got compressed...i shifted to capture one pro 12 and that thing doesn’t even recognize any photos on my laptop when i try to import...can someone please help me, I’m feeling hopeless 🤕
    • Thank you very much for the helpful information!
    • I've read the manual and executed the simple procedure... but it doesn't work. Going SETUP menu > SCREEN SETUP > FRAMING GUIDELINE gives me the choice of GRID 9 and GRID 24, plus HD FRAMING. When I select any of these, nothing changes. The rear screen and EVF stay grid-free.  Frame lines are pretty essential to me, since I'm using this camera to mount an full frame ultrawide zoom on a shift adaptor for architectural work. Does anybody know a cause or a fix?
    • You mention VLC, it has the ability to export frames built in to it, just search for VLC export frame and you can find plenty of tutorials for doing that. From the way you have written, it sounds like you are trying to view a 4k video on a 1080p monitor, which is why your screen grab may be coming out as 1080 x 1920. This thread may help! it lists some other options: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4054568  
    • Thank you for your reply. I use Windows 10, and I have an editor program called MovAvi in which I was able to save a "snapshot" in the size 1920 x 1080 px which is the same size I can extract if a pause the video in for example VLC player and take a screenshot.   Do you know if 1920 x 1080 px is the largest size I can extract from a 4K video or can I extract a larger size somehow?
    • Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.