Fujifilm X-T3 Rumors

So far I expect

1. 24-30 MP

2. New sensor -> What's an upgrade without one?

3. Quicker AF - > Again what's an upgrade without one?

4. No IBIS -> IBIS requires larger size and items I believe do not fit the XT model.

5. Smudge Screen -> Yes I know everybody loves them, but touching/smudging the LCD that provides all the important information seems just foolish to me.  Major detriment in my book.

6. Other niceties, Possible but not for sure things like improved menus, bracketing, stacking, things we see on other brands.

Overall I love my XT-2 and don't see any rumors that would cause me to let go of the cash to upgrade, but time will tell.

From the rumors I have seen the better sensor and quicker AF will be enticing.  I will be taking a serious look at the XT-3, but I suspect it will be more a matter of want over need.  The jump from XT-1 to XT-2 had such an improvement in AF it was more need than want.  Their marketing team is going to have quite a job convincing me of the need.

If they remove the joy stick to accommodate the smudge screen I will definitely consider that the best way to turn a GREAT camera into quite average.

I feel the same about my X-T1. I am only going to replace it when it breaks.

I own both as I upgraded when the XT-2 released and have been using the XT-2 since the day it came out.  They will have a hard time pulling my XT-2 out of my hands. 

On the other hand I pull out the XT-1 on occasion and find it an extremely good camera.  I fully understand the sentiment here.  The sale on the XT-2 was the larger sensor (16 to 24 mp) and the improved AF.  The XT-1 lacks the AF of the XT-2 so as long as you do not shoot action very often there was no need to upgrade.  Personally Birds In Flight fascinate me so I had no choice but to upgrade.

Now we have the XT-3 to tempt us, so I need to see a reason to spend the cash for the upgrade.  I'm not sure the stacked sensor and improved AF will be enough this time.  The XT-2 does quite a good job as is.  The smudge screen is more of a turn off for me so the XT-3 so far only offers a limited improvement..

• 2 weeks later...

What news about the possibility to chose  the sensor of X-t3 and to mount  a 24 Mpixel full frame sensor too and what about FF lenses 35 mm and 70-22 with x mount?

I think It  is a Joke

Edited by bergat

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm I just can't see how the XT3 could be released without IBIS! I know technically it's apparently not possible, but I just don't see how Fuji can expect this to compete for 2-3yrs without IBIS at a £1200+ price point. Short of the current canon MILC i can't think of any other camera released (non-Fuji) without IBIS at. The price point Fuji are aiming for.

Sure they'll sell upgrades to those heavily invested in the system (although with those specs I suspect that won't be as easy as it was with XT2) with glass but expanding their user base will be very hard with a non-IBIS body at the time Canon & Nikon are rumoured to be entering the market in a big way and Sony are moving the price of FF down.

Hmm I just can't see how the XT3 could be released without IBIS! I know technically it's apparently not possible, but I just don't see how Fuji can expect this to compete for 2-3yrs without IBIS at a £1200+ price point. Short of the current canon MILC i can't think of any other camera released (non-Fuji) without IBIS at. The price point Fuji are aiming for.

Sure they'll sell upgrades to those heavily invested in the system (although with those specs I suspect that won't be as easy as it was with XT2) with glass but expanding their user base will be very hard with a non-IBIS body at the time Canon & Nikon are rumoured to be entering the market in a big way and Sony are moving the price of FF down.

Fuji has two strategies - If you want IBIS look at the XH series.  There's not a lot of difference between the XT-2 and XH-1 except IBIS.  I want to say, If you don't shoot video there really is no difference, but I do hear users of the XH-1 say IBIS really helps with the prime (non-OIS) lenses. 

I have not shot an XH-1, but with my XT-2 I really haven't experienced a need for IBIS and I do shoot primes.  So far I am extremely happy with my XT-2 and figure it's going to take something really impressive to get me to upgrade.   So  far in the XT-3 rumors I have not seen that, but not that much is out yet either, so my upgrade while doubtful is still up in the air.

@lumens I understand what you're saying  XH for IBIS is their current strategy.  I just question whether that's viable when virtually every mirrorless camera at £1,000+ price includes IBIS.  IBIS will become more and more just a standard, as opposed to a feature.  Just like having internet on a mobile phone or remote central locking on a car.  If Fuji want to crank out £1,200+ bodies for the next 2-3yrs then skipping IBIS in the XT3 might be a mistake.

Also, with the recent release of the XH1it's probably going to be a good 12months before it's updated, so users will be forced to choose between IBIS and old sensor or new sensor and no IBIS.  Simiarly, how are they going to handle a more powerful processor in the XT3 and the potential for higher frame rates?  You could end up with a non-IBIS XT3 being able to shoot "better" video than an XH1 but without IBIS, whilst we wait for XH2 to appear with the latest processor and sensor.