Long Exposure Settings

valbert123

Hello, 

I still fairly new with my X-T20, however I was having issues with taking photos at a 5 sec exposure time with an ISO of 200 in manual mode. This was during the day, trying to capture water flow. All photos came out entirely white. What am I doing wrong with my settings and how can I produce clear solid pictures?

Thank you

Exposure at ISO200 in bright sunlight would be approximately 1/200th at f/16. Five whole seconds would cause terminal over-exposure. Try again after sunset or before sunrise. Neutral density filters would also help though they would need to be extremely dense. Debateable if they would be worth the price for such a cliché image.

My favorite way of picture taking - by the way targeting good depth of field - is to start  from A with manual mode. Having bright sunlight it's reasonable to consider ISO 400 because then you can take DR 200 and noise is acceptable. I start from aperture f/18-f/20 and I try to adjust exposure time to achieve good picture on EVF. If I go to longer time then 60 I reduce aperture and again look for good exposure time. Apart from this a good solution is to use bracketing and adjust BW live. In order to adjust BW live I press OK/Menu; BW of picture qulity; K. Then I see picture and BW scale on EVF in the same time. When bright sunlight it should be close to 6700 Kelvin degree. 

Can anybody suggest any changes?