X-T1 Accessory Door

Phil

Interesting. Over decades, I've never had a cover or lid (from any manufacturer) expand or shrink on my camera, yet I constantly see shrunken, expanded or totally eroded lids on other's cameras. Some are result of leaving the camera in extreme conditions (such as on a hot car dashboard, or even in a trunk), others are direct result of interaction with the user. Pretty similar to steering wheels in many used cars. If you pick 2 cars from the same used lot – same make and model, same mileage, – one will have a slightly used steering wheel surface, while another will have its wheel totally destroyed. Some people just seem to sweat with caustic soda, I have no other explanation.

A-a-and… My port side (in both nautical and technical terms) door just started bulging. Guess it's a camera, not the user after all.

I sent my X-T1 for repairs because the rubber skin was coming off.  I also mentioned the bulging rubber door, and the directional touch thingies that were too far recessed for my tastes.  They said that the touch thingie rumor about having a better pad were just that- rumors.

When I git it back the skin was perfect, the rubber door fit like a glove, and the directional touch pad thingies somehow feel just right.

Could you please provide a link to that article?

Here is the series of the posts about the problem. By the way, they are all written in Korea. If the translator doesn't work for you, I can translate some of the necessary information you need. + I am not the author of the posts.

1. Problem found. Fujifilm Korea told the OP that fix is not free: http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=fuji_s1pro_forum&no=403762

2. Problem solved. The OP is very satisfied: http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=fuji_s1pro_forum&no=403805

a ) Free repair no matter how many times for this problem. 

b ) Refund for repeated problems.

I contacted the Fuji headquarter in Japan, and that's the reply i've received:

Dear Mr. Teodor,

Thank you for using Fujifilm camera.

I am really sorry that happened with your camera. Please contact our official service in Bulgaria, I hope they will help you.

Address:

Bushona Ltd

55 Iskar st, Sofia 1000, Bulgaria

Phone: 003592983-63-13;; 003592983-16-01;; 003592983-26-42;

Mobile: +359896-665-683

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards / Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu

Valdas Bagdonas
Sales Manager
European Department

phone:   
mobile: 
+37068540915 
email:   
valdas.bagdonas@fujifilm-digital.com 

FUJIFILM Electronic Imaging Europe GmbH
Fujistraße 1
47533 Kleve, Deutschland

http://www.fujifilm.eu

Registergericht: AG Kleve, HRB 1684
Geschäftsführer: Christopher Brawley, Adrian Clarke, Toshihisa Iida, Katsuo Nakadai

So ... they are SORRY and they HOPE that the local Fuji Service can help ?!?!

well, I don’t see too many problems with this, after all this is the normal form used when someone has a complaint with any company.

We are sorry and we hope to be able to solve your problem.

It is an euphemism not different from the one used in ordinary conversation when you tell someone that you have a pain somewhere, after all.

“ I am sorry to hear about your pain and I hope that you will be able to heal soon”, many say this and don’t mean much with it. It is a conventional courteous form, nothing more, nothing less.

Yet, from their perspective, which is obviously not the same as yours, this is still dealing with this particular problem on a one to one base.

They are not admitting that there is a more general problem. It is your problem and their solution to your problem.

Quite different, apparently for what was reported by a Korean member, where apparently ( since I haven’t read the original document) they admit there is a problem and they offer to fix it under guarantee.

Again, since these complaints appear to be piling up in different part of the world, this doesn’t appear to be relative to some “ bad batch” and, at some point, if this keeps on growing, they will have to admit there is a problem but this will be ( for practical and legal reasons) much later rather than sooner and only when the phenomenon will have (if it ever will...) assume epidemic proportions.

In that case a massive “ recall” will be necessary but that scenario is so costly and impractical (imagine de time it will take to process hundreds of cameras being sent to repair centers which are only equipped to deal with dozens of complaints) that they are keeping this as far as they can for as long as they can.

Well, actually i expect an answer like:

- Yes, indeed there is a problem - please take your camera to the local fuji service, they will change your rubber grip and door for free.

or

- Yes, indeed there is a problem - please take your camera to the local fuji service, they will change your rubber grip and door and this will cost you xxx $

or

- No, there is no problem - it is you who did this to your camera. You can buy the repair parts from  .... or take your camera to the fuji service and this will cost you xxx $

I just hate the generic answers they send to a simple question asked.

I am afraid that your expectations are not realistic in the world of possible law suits for damages and litigations where international companies live.

A public admission, even if contained in a “ private” email or letter ( which turns out to be not quite all that private since you are here sharing it with the whole community of members here comprising many members from all continents in the world)  such as “ there is a problem” will open up a can of worms that I think, they are not yet prepared to open. 

The part where you would want them to say “ we will change .....for free” appears to have been addressed that way ( if you go a few posts back) by Korean Fuji which promised to a Korean member to change ( and re-change if necessary!) any faulty rubber part for free.

I think that much could have been said by the Bulgarian Fuji too but they didn’t.

Companies are always very cautious to “ admit” responsibility for anything unless they are not forced by events to do this.

I understand your point BUT that's not what i expect for the top Fuji camera model. This is not a $100 chinese-made-unknown-brand camera. When i pay that much money i expect a better customer service!

I'd happily pay for spare rubber cover and connectors door (and change them myself) but it seems that there is no way to that also ...

Very ingenious, but is it still WR? Please don’t test it to answer the question  :D !

I suppose it still is -- and I'm sure it's much more WR than before :)

Seriously, I got the door to be 100% perfectly aligned with the body. I could swear that it's original from the outside. From the inside, that's another story :) But for the benefits, I don't mind.

Noor

As i bought this camera from outside of Bulgaria, the warranty is not valid here ... anyways, my biggest issue is the rubber peeling off, so they will change it and they wil lalso change the door ..

I've already purchased a half-case from http://www.kaza-deluxe.com/detail.php?id=212 that will cover most of the ruber cover and i hope this won't happen soon again, as i won't be touching the rubber with my hands.

well, even if you didn’t buy the camera in Bulgaria, for many brands there is an “ international “ guarantee valid at least one year this is, apparently, also the case with Fujifilm.

“.The servicing of FUJIFILM optical products is provided under the conditions

stipulated in the warranty information card. And are honored by any FUJIFILM
distributor in the area other than that where you may have purchased your
FUJIFILM optical products..."

However, regardless of the guarantee issue, this is a manufacture defect since this is not your problem alone and cannot be trated as if it were something of your own doing or the natural aging process of a camera needing a part replacement.

Of course I don’t think that you would consider entering a litigation for such a small amount of money but, as a matter of principle, you shouldn’t be responsible and pay for a defect. 

Do you have anything like a “ consumer’s rights ombudsman” ?

You do seem to have some protection (at least on paper)

http://www.ukecc-services.net/bgycr.cfm

http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/127117/2/7%20-%20Ene.pdf