X-T1 Accessory Door

Phil

Does anyone know if it's possible/how to remove the accessory door? Mine's been bulging over the past few months, and it seems to be getting worse (despite the weather not getting much worse than 25C so far). 

It looks like the rubber door is slightly too wide, so when it expands, it pushes up harder than the seal can hold it. It seems like I could shave or file the top and bottom edges of the door down slightly and get it to seat properly. I just can't get the door off, and with it on, I can't get at the entire length of the edge.

I should be able to get the door replaced by Fuji under warranty, but that would require me to send it away, and it's my only camera and I use it for some paid work. Also, I don't really want to replace the door, just to have the new one start bulging again. From what I've read online, replacement doors aren't any different than the originals, and they start expanding again.

12d42732-314f-4f54-a0fa-37eae68de872_zps

I suppose that removing the the accessory “ door “ would make the WR no longer applicable and voiding any guarantee that you might have.

Even if your guarantee has expired, you might still be entitled to this being repaired since this would qualify as a part malfunctioning, not because of use but because of a defect which might or might be not due to improper use but more likely to some problem with the material the camera is made.

It looks bad and it would be interesting to hear whether this is happening to more cameras.

Hi everybody! 

FYI

I`ve been folowing this theme http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55230494 for quite a long time and I can insure you, there are lot of people with the same problem. On top of that there is a loose rubber issue too. It`s not present on my cameras as much as on some people cameras over there. 

Speaking about the door, on one of my cameras (bought it this February) is begining to bend a little, even though we have smth. like 20-25*C max.    

About the rubber on the body in general, I used one camera, got it at my local Fujifilm press-center (or whatever you wanna call it), it was messy in terms of "bowed doors and loose rubber". I don`t know how many people actually used it before me, but shutter count was about 5-6k as far as I remember. (And we all know how people use things that doesn`t belong to them) So let`s get it like "bad scenario", reporter`s camera or whatever :wacko:

That time (september 2014) I got my 5DMarkII for 6 years, I guess, and I never expirienced smth. like this. 

Furthermore, as far as I know from my nikon-shooting-friends, there were some issues with the rubber coverings for some time, but nikon somehow managed to solve the problem.

But, you know, I sold all of my Canon gear and, despite the rubber issues, got me X-T1 anyway, because x100 and x100s were actually great freakin` cameras for my taste already. 

And little bit more information for all you guys wondering, what should you do eventually:

I contacted one guy from Japan (http://www.aki-asahi.com/) he is producing custom camera coverings for many cameras, and he is actually really nice guy to talk to. Right now he`s little bit busy, but later this year he is going to look into producing custom covering for our beloved X-T1. (And hell yeah, it`s gonna be leather covering, I suppose). 

Till that time I`m going to use my cameras anyway, work and fun doesn`t wait, right? ;)

And if things get really messy till that time, or it`s going to take so long (so my warranty expire) I`m going to replace everything or at least the door at Fujifilm.

I hope I helped somebody with the decision. Have a nice day!

P.S. Here you go the photos of that camera from Fujifilm press centre. (found in in archive) 

the Asahi covers are very nice, unfortunately (and they tell you so too...) installing them automatically voids your Fuji guarantee.

yup, but as far as I know, in some cases people was rejected with warranty rights about replacing rubber and doors for free (they was told, it`s their fault, used the camera in wrong conditions). So the best option, I guess, wait untill covering come up (and then decide if you want to void the warranty), or, if it`s not come up then try to replace it by warranty service (for free or pay for it) anyway.

I am sure that the way the guarantees are honored, greatly varies from country to country and what’s true in one place won’t be necessarily true in any other.

Norms, legislation, statutory rights and or common law ( which is the part of law deriving from previous judicial precedents rather than being written) vary enormously.

The guarantee protection for the normal use of a camera is one year at the very least ( normally two years in most EU countries) but that is not what we are talking about here.

We are talking of a possible production defect with an essential part ( for the weather sealing it is essential) failing and rendering the camera no longer usable under the conditions which the camera had been promising to be operated.

In many countries if an object which useful life is several years past the one or two years guarantee ( we are not going to throw out our cameras after the terms expire) , the guarantee extends to the reasonable expectation that the camera would work in all its parts even past the one year guarantee and the customers can successfully claim a guarantee  even way past expiration.

In case of a manufacturing defect showing itself after the guarantee has expired one can make a very sound case and expect the defect to be repaired way past whatever little guarantee they’ve sold you the camera with.

Of course what one does with his camera is one’s own business, but Fuji Japan has, for sure, a different attitude towards this than the local importer.

I think it is a defect of only some production stocks, I have my X-T1 from genuary of this year and my "accessory door" is tight as the first

day and never opens by itself. I used it a couple of times outdoor with italian sun at noon and the camera went really hot, but I didn't have any issue.

If it can help its serial number is 43M12197.

I emailed Fuji Canada and they told me the only way to fix it is to send it away to Missisauga with a 7 business day turnaround.

I've read some mixed reviews about replacement doors. Some say the new door does the same thing, but a couple have said the new doors are better.

Seeing as the turnaround should be under two weeks all told, I think I'll try that, as I should be able to get away with that.

I should say, when I asked about removing it, it was so I could make it a bit shorter and put it back on.

edit: I reread the email and am having second thoughts. It said (not surprisingly) that they would inspect it for warranty validation before servicing it. That's fine, but if they decide it's not under warranty, I have to pay no matter what - either the repair fee, or a repair refusal fee. I just got married and money is really tight, so I might hold off and take my chances.

When I first received my X-T1, the door worked just fine.  Then I had my camera worked on for the dreaded light leak problem that affected a number of the early cameras, including mine.  When I got it back, the door bows like the ones mentioned above.  My current solution is to take a piece of black gaffers tape and tape it down, which works fairly well. 

I have looked into a possible DIY solution and I am considering trimming the inner door seal on the bottom and see if that helps. I have owned several Nikons (D80, D300, D700) that have experienced similar problems with the exterior rubber coating apparently slipping, swelling, and not fitting over time, so this is not a problem exclusive to Fuji

As far as water resistance goes, I have already used the camera in its current condition through several downpours and have had no problems.  Short of dunking the camera in water (which I would imagine would get in the works regardless of the condition of the side door seal), I don't see a problem. 

have looked into a possible DIY solution and I am considering trimming the inner door seal on the bottom and see if that helps. I have owned several Nikons (D80, D300, D700) that have experienced similar problems with the exterior rubber coating apparently slipping, swelling, and not fitting over time, so this is not a problem exclusive to Fuji

This is my thinking. I'm suspicious my warranty will be voided anyway, and I'm not particularly worried about the weather sealing - I'd rather have it sit cleanly just so it doesn't bug me. I'm looking into it tonight after work, so I'll post if I go through with it.

Interesting. Over decades, I've never had a cover or lid (from any manufacturer) expand or shrink on my camera, yet I constantly see shrunken, expanded or totally eroded lids on other's cameras. Some are result of leaving the camera in extreme conditions (such as on a hot car dashboard, or even in a trunk), others are direct result of interaction with the user. Pretty similar to steering wheels in many used cars. If you pick 2 cars from the same used lot – same make and model, same mileage, – one will have a slightly used steering wheel surface, while another will have its wheel totally destroyed. Some people just seem to sweat with caustic soda, I have no other explanation.

In short: send it for warranty replacement and be prepared to do it again later on.

I just had my accessory door replaced under warranty because of the same issuse.  Yes, I did have to be without for a week, but they do respond quickly.  Unfortunately, we the consumer have to pay for the return in order to repair a manufacturing issue that is Fuji's problem, not ours. Often feels that warranties obviated the responsibility of taking ownership of problems. However, it is a great camera.

I use an L plate on the bottom of mine, tha arca Swiss dovetails enable tripod use. The L plate surrounds the door so it stops this being an issue. The extra height also makes it easier to hold, and you can get some that include a grip. Doesn't solve the problem, but I think it perhaps reduces it's occurrence? (I haven't see this issue yet on any of my 4 bodies)

Of course an email would include a formula to differentiate between those who tear the plastic because they have rubbed the camera against an hard surface and the ones who have had this happening to them without any plausible reason implying their responsibility.

Yet, as any consumer association will tell you, especially if you collect several people reporting a malfunction, Fuji will ne better advised in honoring not alone the guarantee but in doing this down the line, even when the guarantee has expired, if we report this as a production defect.

Unfortunately in my neck of the woods (the NL) we don’t even have our own Fuji repair lab ( or at least we didn’t have it last year) and cameras need being sent to Germany and they take 15 days, minimum, for any, even small, thing.

If I were one of the people who have reported this I would report it to Fuji Japan.

I shaved the top and bottom of the door down slightly, but it still bulges a bit. It's definitely a problem with the front corners of the door (away from the hinges).

I'm pretty sure the main problem is the corners of the inside lip of the door.

hello,
I have the same problem that you  :blink:  :wacko:

I contacted both the repair service of my country (Switzerland)
and the Tokyo headquarters
to see their reactions
we keep in touch! :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thankfully I haven't noticed the rubber lifting on mine, just the accessory port door. I've given up on sending it in because of the turnaround time, and the fact that I'll have to pay either way if it's not covered under warranty. I looked at the door and I'm pretty sure the issue isn't the outside top and bottom, but the lip/gasket inside of that. Next time I feel like it, I'm going to try shaving the corners of that inside lip down a bit to see if that helps. I don't have the time to send it away right now since it's my only body, but it's driving me crazy. I'll probably end up gluing it down with a spot of non-permanent glue, and paying to have it fixed down the road when I feel like spending the money.

hello,
I have the same problem that you  :blink:  :wacko:

I contacted both the repair service of my country (Switzerland)
and the Tokyo headquarters
to see their reactions
we keep in touch! :D

Good evening,

I received a response from Fujifilm Switzerland and I can send my X -T1 for a warranty repair.