Svaneti Region, Georgia

Nero

I'm going to be spending a few days in the Svaneti region of Georgia the first week of September. I'm thoroughly immersing myself in reading about the region and did a lot of research before making a decision on where to go for this trip. What I'm looking for are recommendations on things to see that might not be in the typical travel articles. I'm hoping to turn my few days there into a relatively concise photo project about the history, landscape, and people of the region. I'll be in both Mestia and Ushguli.

Due to limited time I have to be somewhat selective, but I also like to partly see where things take me when I'm actually on location. I don't like to plan too much, but I do like having a good pool background knowledge to inform the instinctive choices I make whenever options are presented.

I'm also open to any advice you might have on under-the-radar gear accessories that could make things easier. I do a lot of international travel and I know what lenses work best for me in a variety of situations, but every place has its own little quirks where certain very specific, small accessories can make a big impact. Those are the types of things I'm interested in getting some feedback on.

I'm not sure you need any specific "small accessories" over there. The usual sort of things. I'd take 55-200 as Georgia is a Mountain land and 23f1.4 for street and low light. What I would like to warn you about however is the Georgian cuisine. It's fantastic and you'll have to eat (drink) a lot... I mean A LOT just because your hosts simply won't let you go while they see you are still alive :) So take some pills for stomach just in case. The quality of food is really good but it's quantity may surprise you. Anyway enjoy your trip!

Going also in September. Tbilissi, Batoumi and and Mestia. As mdm mentioned  the Georgians are wonderful host. Wine suppose to be good and the cuisine a delight.

My 16 mm 1.4, 34mm 1.4  the 90mm and maybe the 50 summicron  will be in my bag with the Xpro2 and the XE2.

Great time to visit the country!

Going also in September. Tbilissi, Batoumi and and Mestia. As mdm mentioned  the Georgians are wonderful host. Wine suppose to be good and the cuisine a delight.

My 16 mm 1.4, 34mm 1.4  the 90mm and maybe the 50 summicron  will be in my bag with the Xpro2 and the XE2.

Great time to visit the country!

Yes, the flights in September were remarkably inexpensive and the weather is still supposed to be great. For a trip like this I have to take 2 bodies. I'll have my X-T1 with the 55-200 and then my X-Pro2 with a pool of primes to rotate between, 16mm, 23mm, and 35mm. 

• 1 month later...

Wonderful country, super people...

My wife and I traveled most of Georgia. 

I had with me the Fuji X-Pro2 with the 34/1.4. Thats it.

Didn't need anything else. YMMV, however.

Here is an image from Sveneti...

p2835396585-5.jpg

Edited by Fursan