"Turn off Camera and restart"

Hello,

Received my X-H1 and 16-55mm lens combo yesterday, and since then have received the "turn off camera..." message 3 or 4 times.  I have the recommended SD cards installed and the lens is seated properly.  I've noticed that others have encountered this experience with the GFX 50s and several of the other, various "X" model cameras that they have attributed to a lens obstruction.  In this regard, the only addition to my lens is a 77mm B&W UV filter screwed into the front threads of the lens.   Not sure if this is a firmware issue or defective hardware. Anyone else with the problem?

Hello,

With or without filter makes no difference.  

I spoke with Fuji tech support and was told to send the camera back, that either it or the lens is defective.  I am a GFX 50s owner as well, and while all of my GFX lenses have UV filters on their front ends, I have never encountered that error message.  But jumping over to the GFX section of this forum has revealed a post/topic that mirrors the X-H1 experience, and an Internet search demonstrates that other fuji "X" cameras have had the same problem.  Seems to be an issue common to many X series cameras ... a genetic or developmental defect?

When I bought my X-T20, the package included the kit lens and 27mm. Upon inspection the 27mm had problem and I got it returned for exchange because they didn't have one in stock replace it right then. They loaned me their demo 27mm. When they couldn't fine the cap for the 27, they stuck a step down ring on it.

A couple of days later I went to China for a three months trip. A week into the trip, after using the kit without problem, I took the 27 out for a spin. Within an hour that exact error message showed up. I turned off the camera and turned on again and shooting again. Few minutes later it showed up again. I turned off and on again. And few minutes later it showed up again. I then turned it off and went home.

I was afraid that my new bought camera was faulty. And I couldn't do anything until I get back home. Still 2.5 months to go.

Well, I then hit the web and found among them the problem caused by using a filter on the 27. Sure enough, after I took out the step down ring, no more error message with the 27, or any other lenses ever since.

I guessed I was lucky that my problem with this particular error message was an easy one to fix.

I also read that some use filter on their 27 just fine. Could be that the filter thickness varience that makes the difference. Some thinner, some thicker than others.

Hi,

If there is an issue with filters and "X" lenses, one would have to assume that the beta testers would have come across same.  Furthermore, the fuji developers should know that photographers use,or are going to use filters.  Personally, if the "turn camera off..." message turns out to be a lens/filter problem, my faith in Fuji cameras will take a nosedive.  To not anticipate something as basic as the use of filters is unacceptable for a camera manufacturer. But to be fair, it appears that all of the brand-makers these days are pushing their products out of the door so quickly—in the name of profit—that they are leaving themselves open to unresolved issues and problems that they sort out with yet another "new and improved" model.  I guess that the new business model for the big producers is release them(cameras and accessories) and we'll figure it out later—sound familiar?

Edited by ron777

Like i said, probably due to thickness variance of said filters. More so with no name chinese made filters.

I tried metal vented lens hood for the 18-55 and it vignettes on the wide end. After browsing, I found that some metal vented hood for it have vignette and some don’t. Just the matter of trying out which works and which don’t. Not the fault of Fuji.

I also use adapted lenses. The adapters for these lenses also varied in thickness. I happened to bought one of the bad ones once. Made the focusing with the lens to be off. I bought another adapter and works fine with said lens. Again, not problem with Fuji.

Hi Rokpish,

We can agree to disagree.

The "turn camera off..." issue appears to involve select cameras across the entire Fuji line (see the GFX and other model threads on this forum).  I use the same B&W slimline filters on all my lenses, including the GFX50s, and have never encountered an issue.  Furthermore, the shut down message has appeared on my X-H1 without anything attached to the front element , i.e., no filter or hood; clear evidence for a cause other than filter.  That said, and despite the fact that I like the form-factor (same as the GFX), I have returned it, and will either wait until Fuji does or does not sort things out, or opt for something non-Fuji.

Hi Rokpish,

We can agree to disagree.

The "turn camera off..." issue appears to involve select cameras across the entire Fuji line (see the GFX and other model threads on this forum). I use the same B&W slimline filters on all my lenses, including the GFX50s, and have never encountered an issue. Furthermore, the shut down message has appeared on my X-H1 without anything attached to the front element , i.e., no filter or hood; clear evidence for a cause other than filter. That said, and despite the fact that I like the form-factor (same as the GFX), I have returned it, and will either wait until Fuji does or does not sort things out, or opt for something non-Fuji.

Yes, we could.

I’m just giving (my own) account of one of the incidents happening around this error message. And as it happens the problem occurred with the 27 lens which front lens element protrudes when focussing so the use of thinner filter would block the movement. Not all Fuji lens does this.

And I also said that I also read others have other problems with the same error message, some with the contact pins being dirty (clean the pins and the error disappeared), and some others which required the camera to be sent back.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that Fuji has found a—non filter/lens— solution for at least one cause for the "turn camera off..." message on the X-H1, but too late for me, as I have already moved on and have replaced the camera with a Sony A7rIII.  While I liked the form factor of the Fuji more so than the Sony, the added megapixels of the Sony make a huge difference for my landscape photography.  And while I have read posts from those who feel that 24MP is "more than enough" for landscape work, side by side comparisons of 24MP vs 42MP (full-frame), of the same scene, same lighting conditions and camera position, same camera settings and lens approximation, developed in Capture One Pro 11 and viewed at 100% on a calibrated monitor have demonstrated a clearly visible difference in favor of the larger sensor, as would logically be expected.  That said, I have not abandoned Fuji entirely, as I own and use a GFX-50s ... a super camera.

Edited by ron777

Hi Kimballistic,

I do use the GFX for landscape, and it's fantastic, but there are times where a lighter load is necessary, or desirable.  Additionally, the A7rIII has IBIS that will work with the multitude of Leica, Canon, etc lenses that I keep in my stable, thereby reducing or eliminating the need for a cumbersome tripod.  And, of course, there are non-landscape photographic opportunities where the a7rIII excels.  Between the two, for my purposes, I have all bases covered.