What settings should I be looking at to enable HSS?

oxjox

I have an XT2 with Godox X1TF and TT350F. I'm unable to get flash to sync faster than 1/250.

I'm shooting with Auto FP,  TTL and unable to change the camera to Manual flash. Pretty sure I'm missing something stupid here.

Edit / with photos: I'm starting to think maybe I'm describing my problem incorrectly. First of all, I've already stated that FP and TTL are enabled. I've also been testing with the TT350F attached to the camera and I'm getting the same results.

The real issue is that the exposure difference between 250 and 500 is quite dramatic. Like, one is too bright and one is too dark. This is more noticeable with smaller apertures with the subject further away. If I stop down to 2.8 and shoot a subject at 1M, the exposure between 250 and 500 is closer. Although, at 250, I'm definitely still seeing the effect of the flash (bright spot) where as at 500 I think I'm just getting a better exposure just because I've stopped down and the SS is faster than the flash.

The following snapshots are both f8, iso200.

1/250 https://www.dropbox.com/s/yu2u6k7rhzmx5gj/250.png?dl=0

1/500 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pjvc8wztx7qcrm/500.png?dl=0

Edited by oxjox

Hi oxjox, I use the Godox TT350F (but not the X1T, so I'm sorry I can't comment on that). Using just the flash in TTL mode you do need to enable FP in the sync settings of the XT2's flash menu at shutter speeds over 1/250; it won't go into FP mode automatically - at least I've never achieved that! (But as I say, I don't know about whatever settings might be available on the X1T trigger.) 

If the Godox flash is in the camera's hotshoe (or connected via an off-camera shoe cord), you CAN use HSS in Manual mode (just as in TTL mode), provided you have set the camera's flash menu sync settings to FP.

For off-camera flash I use Yongnuo radio triggers which are manual-only, and HSS is not possible (the camera's flash menu sync settings allow a choice of Front or Rear curtain; FP doesn't show up as an option). But I don't know what the Godox X1T trigger will allow. Perhaps someone else can help here? (Personally, I'm happy to stick with my Yongnuos.)

Thanks for the edit. So it's actually not a problem with HSS: more a matter of adjusting your flash power and/or your aperture to balance the exposure in each case. Lots of possible variables. I'd recommend checking out The Strobist blog: http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk, which is packed with useful information. The lighting courses there (Lighting 101 etc) are excellent (and free).

Awesome. I certainly considered it was a problem with me and using my camera/flash properly. Because it was happening right at 500 though, and me being new to flash photography in general, I was looking for an easier answer - like turn X function on/off. Thanks!!

• 2 years later...
On 3/1/2018 at 8:56 AM, dfaye said:

If the Godox flash is in the camera's hotshoe (or connected via an off-camera shoe cord), you CAN use HSS in Manual mode (just as in TTL mode), provided you have set the camera's flash menu sync settings to FP.

For off-camera flash I use Yongnuo radio triggers which are manual-only, and HSS is not possible (the camera's flash menu sync settings allow a choice of Front or Rear curtain; FP doesn't show up as an option). But I don't know what the Godox X1T trigger will allow. Perhaps someone else can help here? (Personally, I'm happy to stick with my Yongnuos.)

Hey there! I am having the same problem where I am not given the option, just front or rear curtain. Did you find a solution? 

• 1 year later...

I can get HSS with my following equipment, Fujifilm X-T1, Godox X1T-F remote , Manual HSS flash Godox TT600(no TLL). That is what I have and experience on. I don't advertise for any brands. You can try with the equipment you already owned. 

The setting is the following:

Manual setting is  1/800 sec.,  f/5.6 on the camera. With the X1T-F power on and set to Group A,m, 1/32, I am able to set in 'FP' sync (shows up only with the X1T-F turn on and on the camera) in 'Flash Function Setting'. Then set the TT600 flash to Radio slave and HSS mode(check on youtube channel for TT600 for setting if you use this equipment). The HSS may not work if the TT600 put on the camera hot shoe(need test or read manual booklet). 

General speaking. you set the flash and the camera in HSS mode to get the HSS feather.  How to set is equipment dependent.

From Tim's experience.