3 Days in Rome... Which Gear?

Patrick FR

So I just booked 3 days Easter Holidays in Rome.... Gear Recommendations Anyone?

What I have "in stock" at the moment... I won't take more than 3 lenses and 1 body.

BODIES
- X-T1
- X-E3

LENSES
- Samyang 12mmF2
- XF 23mmF1.4
- XF 35mmF1.4
- XF 27mmF2.8
- XF 10-24
- XF18-55
- XF 18-135
- XF 55-200

Just come back from Rome, and I took the following

X-E2s  with 14mm2.8 - 23mm1.4 - 27mm 2.8 and 35mm 1.4.

At no point did I feel I was lacking a lens.

I know this is 4 lenses, but the 27 is a no brainer due to its size, turns the X-E2 into a good pocket camera.

Enjoy Rome - and don't buy to many selfie sticks :D

X-E3, 10-24, 35, 55-200.

I find Rome at night is fantastic. Fewer people x Long Exposures make for some surreal views.

Don't eat at places with English menus. They're almost always touristy crap. Bring your phone, Google Translate (whatever the AR app is) works great and you'll at least be able to get a general idea of what you're ordering. Or you can do what I do, pick the busy restaurants (empty restaurants is never a good sign) and ask them to make you whatever the specialty of the house is.

• 3 weeks later...

Take the XT2 for the articulated LCD for low angles along with the 10-24 and 18-55. I've been to Rome and about 60% of the shots were taken with the 10-24 lens. The ultra wide angle is useful for tight city streets and expansive church interiors.

Regards,

Bud James

www.budjames.photography

• 1 month later...

I am also going to Rome this summer and will also bring 1 camera and 3 lenses.

My setup will be.

X-t2,

XF 18-135, for more close ups of the statues and monuments. Perhaps also for some tighter shots from the surrounding hills.

XF 10-24, for inside the buildings and some wide shots, and

XF 23mmF2, for street and filming. Still in doubt whether to bring my XF 16mmF1.4 instead. The 23mm is small and lighter compared to the 16mm..

I am also going to Rome this summer and will also bring 1 camera and 3 lenses.

My setup will be.

X-t2,

XF 18-135, for more close ups of the statues and monuments. Perhaps also for some tighter shots from the surrounding hills.

XF 10-24, for inside the buildings and some wide shots, and

XF 23mmF2, for street and filming. Still in doubt whether to bring my XF 16mmF1.4 instead. The 23mm is small and lighter compared to the 16mm..

Absolutely, the 23mm is light and small. However, the 16mm is significantly wider and able to work at half the light-level. It weighs 375 grams while the 23mm is 180 grams. I will happily lug an extra 200 grams for the vastly increased capability the 16mm provides. Both the 35mm and the 16mm are covered by the 10-24mm, but it is an f/4.0 which takes great care to use effectively in low light situations. At f/1.4, the 16mm opens up the darkness. 

Is 200 grams too heavy for all the great interior shots you will bypass?