Fuji X-H1 – Your Opinion

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at the X-H1 in a completely different light than anyone else, I think; I'm mating the body with small, lightweight, manual focus lenses and so far I think it's working. Yes, the camera has some heft but it feels right for the purpose the camera was designed for, as do all the Fuji X cams; they've found a great balance of sturdiness while still being a hell of a lot less weighty than a DSLR. It's quite a magic trick and my hat's off to the Fuji designers.

I love my X-Pro 2 as well. Leica who?

A NYC street shooter my whole life now using X-Pro2 and the X-H1.

My first thought after I put the grip on was "Finally, a defensive weapon." The thing has some heft 
as does the X-Pro2 and I like that.
Actually, in close to 40 years of riding the subway and roaming the streets, I have never felt that either myself or my gear was in jeopardy.
It is a thought which occurs, however.
I like the video capabilities because often I find myself involved with a subject who has an interesting story or is a real character. 
It is not my primary focus but I like to play around. And it looks wonderful. Really quite nice. 

Having had most every FUJI camera since the X100, I think that the X-H1 is a refinement PLUS. Every 2 years I replace 1 body.
I always say "It's a tool, not a jewel." but I am finding the X-H1 to be a little jewel-like... or maybe because it's new, I don't know..
it hasn't disappointed me yet.

Fuji by adopting Image Stabilization will be making new friends with X-H1. However for me not so important for daylight photography. More demands on the lithium battery? Curious to know how many people use the small fill-in flash sold with the XT-2? The only thing I like about Fuji X-H1 the top readout display copying Leica SL design. Unfortunately that feature moves the exposure compensation dial. Until I actually handle the X-H1 will reserve judgement but at this stage I prefer to stay with XT-2 which is about the right size and weight for me.  

So, engineering requirements aside, what's the X-H1 like to use in the real world?  Well, personally, I find it to be much like an X-T2, which is truly an excellent camera, but functionally better in every way. 

Some data regarding the size: The X-H1 is WHOPPING 5% larger than the X-T2 in 2 of 3 dimensions, and 10% thicker at its minimum depth dimension, the extra thickness necessary to incorporate the IBIS subsystem. Here is a top view photo showing my Graphite Silver next to my X-H1.

X-H1%20vs%20X-T2%20comparo.jpg

So, while the size difference is "statistically significant", do I find it to be practically significant? No, with the exception that the grip is MUCH better than the X-T2's.

Regarding weight: The X-T2 with a RRS L-plate mounted is actually 17 grams heavier (I did the data analysis) than X-H1. Do I ever think about how heavy the X-T2 is when I am using it in the real world with its L-plate mounted? Nope, and likewise do I think about the weight X-H1 when I am using it in the real world? No. 

The leaf-spring shutter button and 5-spring suspended shutter mech is an absolute joy, the smoothest, silkiest, quietest, best damped focal plane shutter I have ever used, hands down, bar none, from any manufacterer. There is absolutely no "breakover" in actuating the shutter, and it is designed so that no vibration or shock is transferred to the body to interfere with the IBIS system. Incredible and really, really nice. REALLY nice. 

The 3.7 million dot EVF is amazing, fast, clear, and gorgeous to look at  but more importantly, the camera has exceptionally accurate matrix metering, on par with the GFX, which is exemplary. See the photo of Putah Creek Pond below to see how accurately the X-H1 meters to render both shadow detail and capture the highlights in the sky without blowing out. This metering accuracy makes it a snap to edit images by just needing to set black/white points. That's it. By contrast, I found my first X-T2 in matrix metering mode seemed to consistently read the scene as darker than it actually was, thereby overexposing by 1/3 or 1/2 a stop. The X-H1 metering system seems to be much more accurate, and the higher resolution and clearer EVR makes it easier to gauge the exposure preview of the scene. 

40663806314_1bbf738945_o.jpg

A lot of folks in the internet "specs geeks" forums have been griping about the removal of the exp comp dial for the submonitor, but in actual use, this has not been a problem for me in any way whatsoever. I have my rear command dial to be able to actuate the exposure comp functionality by a simple press, and then a turn of the dial sets comp quickly and effectively. And the EVF now displays a full ± 5 stops of compensation. And, I don't find that I am inadvertantly bumping the exp comp dial as I often find happens on my X-T2 when I am running around from place to place shooting at the race track. 

And, having the submonitor has proven to be much more useful than I originally anticipated. It's really nice to be able to glance down at it with lenses like the 18-55 or 10-24 to see what aperture the lens is set at, as well as a panoply of other useful information. When the camera is switched off, its great to be able to see how many frames are left on the card, the available battery capacity, and the exp. comp setting. Bottom line: the more I use the camera, the more I like it. 

The rear touch screen is nice also, and I really like being able to swipe to bring up the auto timer, the RGB histograms, or the roll/pitch gauge on the LCD. The fact that you can configure it to be only active on a specified part of the screen, as well as the increased eye relief of the new EVF, this lets you look through the viewfinder without getting grease from your nose on the LCD, as well as letting you use the LCD touch functions. The next post will show some real world use photographs, including high-speed continuous autofocus. 

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the XH-1 and I'm looking forward to the 16-80 lens that is coming soon.

BOBS6436 by Bob Brandoff, on Flickr

Here's another shot with the XH-1.. very good pricing now, too!

BOBS6485 by Bob Brandoff, on Flickr

I have owned the x-e2, x-t1,x-10/20 and the x-t2 now the h1 and I must say the h1 feels the best in my hands, I like the size not to small or large and the smoothness of this camera is the best I have ever used makes taking pictures fun. I still have the t10/20 and I like shooting them as well but the H1 is special.

Combined with the 35mm 1.4, it almost feels like an old film camera to me.. but with awesome output.

BOBS6545 by Bob Brandoff, on Flickr

BOBS6536 by Bob Brandoff, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

I was contemplating either an X-H1 or X-T3 and decided to go with the X-H1. I was prepared to be less than satisfied in some areas in exchange for a more durable body, finish and and some other features I wanted. The new X-H1 arrived yesterday and so far it has exceeded all of my expectations. So far, I have been concentrating on still images and all I can say is wow!

One area I thought would not live up to my expectations is the autofocus accuracy and speed. I am used to using an X-T1 and an X-E3. I didn't doubt that the X-H1 would smoke the X-T1 and expected it to equal the X-E3. I don't know what kind of magic Fujifilm worked on the X-H1. So far, both the accuracy and speed blows the X-E3 away. But, then again I'm transitioning from my X-E1 to the 3. 

So far I've just had the X-H1 with me while shopping and running errands. I haven't tried to do anything I would want to share as they have all been quickie grab shots. However, had I been attempting some serious work, I am confident of far more keepers as well as images in perfect focus. Once I get used to the camera I will share some of the work here.

When i first picked up the X-H1 a year ago i wasnt very inpressed.

Recently picked it up again in my local camera shop, and had a change of opinion, so much so, i purchased one.

Used it at a race track with the 100-400, wow so much nicer than my X-T2 with the bigger lens.

IBIS is great on the track, compact is great on the street or travel, two fantastic cameras from Fuji.

Looking forward to trying the new 16-80 with both.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I recently broke m X-T30 and 18-135 (which I was quite fond of), the X-H1 is tempting because of the significant discount on the 18-135 (not to mention the X-H1).  And I've resisted buying zooms without IS for my X's; I had some regrets on the X-T30, but the price compared to the X-T3 was just too good to pass up.  

So now my decision is to go for the X-T3 this time, and end up paying about $2100 + tax for that and the 18-135 (my original was less as it was a kit with my X-T1), 

or live with the X-H1 size and the "previous generation" sensor and focus, and save around $600, since you can get the X-H1 + lens for $1500.  That's significant.  But will I miss the new features, is the big question.  (I can get another X-T30 + the lens for around $1600, so it's mainly a matter of the improvement having IBIS for the primes I own, and any other advantages of the X-H1.

Opinions...I do like a smaller camera, for everyday  use and travel to since I almost always carry two cameras in case!  (I was carrying the X-T20 and T30, but now they're actually both broken--the X-T30 from a fall from the tripod, and the X-T20 just failed on its own.)  Although of course, I lived with dSLRs many years first, so larger isn't totally new to me (still have my D7100 and D600 and lenses too).

If you own the X-H1, what are it's non-obvious advantages and drawbacks over the X-T3?

I've had my first Fuji, an X-M1 since April 2016. It came with an XC 16-50mm lens. I bought an XC 50-230mm shortly thereafter, and a year ago got a third-party 25mm prime from 7artisans. I've been mighty impressed with how that little X-M1 performs. But now I have my sights set on an X-H1 for more serious work.

What do owners of the X-H1 think of it? How does it compare to the X-T30? (The other model I'm considering.) I'm looking at buying the body + power grip. You really have to shop around as the prices vary wildly.

Besides its specs, the main reason I'm eyeing the X-H1 is because it's weather-resistant. Of course, if I get it, then I'm gonna want WR lenses. $$$

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

You can't do better than the current X-H1 prices!  It's actually not much different in width/height than the X-T series, though it's definitely "bulkier and heavier".  But not in a bad way.  Much bigger then the X-T20/30 though, which is what I was using after my X-T1.  But I always had to add a grip to the X-T20, X-T30, and X-T1 to make it comfortable.  This camera definitely doesn't need one.  And the new shutter is delightful.  

The test photos I've taken so far are excellent--though I have only taken test photos around the house.  Too busy with computer work to go out and shoot landscapes or architecture (my usual).  But I think I will really enjoy this camera, despite it's "bulk".  It's actually about the size of my Nikon D7100, but lighter than that (and smaller than the D600).  But I really prefer mirrorless, so I haven't used either of those cameras for landscapes or architecture in quite a while.

• 1 year later...

I just bought a used X-H1 in top notch condition and am

thrilled to the max with it. What a camera.

Paired it up with my FujifilmX 50mm F2 and am amazed

Finally found my camera, was a long hunt, I hope the X-H2 stays

with the program and enhances rather than changes this marvelous camera. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello, everyone, I just started to use X-H1 mainly for portrait.

I am quite new for Fuji, I used EOS 5D MarkII, Nikon D800E, Sony alpha7RII, and Nikon Z7.
The reason to switch to Fuji was the usual one, excellent skin tone & color.

Recent mirrorless camera cannot be evaluated just at its launch, because lots of updates would be done afterwards.
The reason I choose X-H1 rather than T4, T30II, S10 etc. was the structure as the flagship.
Actually, I am quite interested in it, compared with other suppliers' high-res full-frame ones.

What I just requested to Fuji was the following;  (again, I am interested and love X-H1.)

1) Poor buffer memory;
    I don't shoot C-H or C-L, but frequently I need to wait for X-H1 to complete writing.
    I requested Fuji to offer additional buffer memory service, so at the moment I bought 290MB/sec write SDXC.  

2) Eye detection switch;

During eye detection focus is activated, Nikon Z7 etc. allocates cross button to switch the eyes, like L to R, R to L.
   But when I touch it on X-H1, eye detection was cancelled and moved single AF point, which is not being used and far away.
   I need to operate two or three steps when the portrait model turns, which I can't catch up her/his motion.
   I requested to change the definition, from "L or R", to "the eye closer, or the eye further",  or
   to change the cross-button function to move the target eye, keeping on the eye detection.

3) Image quality improvement;

I don't care about the disadvantages caused by image sensor size, processor generation, etc.
   The following is not special for X-H1, common with X-T4 and the others.
   I have problem with the resolution on darker portion, while it is excellent in bright area.
   I am especially talking about "the quality on the neck", which is normally darker than on the face,
   even under the careful lighting. Actual skin of the portrait model is beautiful, but it is often recorded like
   she has skin allergy, because the quality degradation is not even, sometimes like zebra pattern.
   I strongly requested to improve this, as the firmware updates at Fuji Imaging Plaza Osaka,
   by showing the phenomena on their ongoing exhibition by Fuji Professionals.

I strongly believe X-H2 will solve (1), and hope  X-H1 firmware to solve (2) and (3)...

On 2/26/2022 at 5:50 PM, Yoshi KOBAYASHI said:

Hello, everyone, I just started to use X-H1 mainly for portrait.

I am quite new for Fuji, I used EOS 5D MarkII, Nikon D800E, Sony alpha7RII, and Nikon Z7.
The reason to switch to Fuji was the usual one, excellent skin tone & color.

Recent mirrorless camera cannot be evaluated just at its launch, because lots of updates would be done afterwards.
The reason I choose X-H1 rather than T4, T30II, S10 etc. was the structure as the flagship.
Actually, I am quite interested in it, compared with other suppliers' high-res full-frame ones.

What I just requested to Fuji was the following;  (again, I am interested and love X-H1.)

1) Poor buffer memory;
    I don't shoot C-H or C-L, but frequently I need to wait for X-H1 to complete writing.
    I requested Fuji to offer additional buffer memory service, so at the moment I bought 290MB/sec write SDXC.  

2) Eye detection switch;

During eye detection focus is activated, Nikon Z7 etc. allocates cross button to switch the eyes, like L to R, R to L.
   But when I touch it on X-H1, eye detection was cancelled and moved single AF point, which is not being used and far away.
   I need to operate two or three steps when the portrait model turns, which I can't catch up her/his motion.
   I requested to change the definition, from "L or R", to "the eye closer, or the eye further",  or
   to change the cross-button function to move the target eye, keeping on the eye detection.

3) Image quality improvement;

I don't care about the disadvantages caused by image sensor size, processor generation, etc.
   The following is not special for X-H1, common with X-T4 and the others.
   I have problem with the resolution on darker portion, while it is excellent in bright area.
   I am especially talking about "the quality on the neck", which is normally darker than on the face,
   even under the careful lighting. Actual skin of the portrait model is beautiful, but it is often recorded like
   she has skin allergy, because the quality degradation is not even, sometimes like zebra pattern.
   I strongly requested to improve this, as the firmware updates at Fuji Imaging Plaza Osaka,
   by showing the phenomena on their ongoing exhibition by Fuji Professionals.

I strongly believe X-H2 will solve (1), and hope  X-H1 firmware to solve (2) and (3)...

I've used the X-H1 for professional fashion and make-up portrait work for a while, but I replaced it (actually almost all my Fuji gear) with a couple of Z7II's. The eye detection AF of the X-H1 is close to useless. It switches eyes erratically and there's no way to control it. I always used face detect that worked reasonably well. The zebra pattern you describe are actually moiré artefacts which is more prone in darker areas esp. at higher ISO-values.. Under those difficult circumstances a 24/26MP or higher APS-C sensor without anti-aliasing filter tends to struggle with this.

As for firmware updates, Fuji made it very clear that the X-H1 is in 'maintenance' mode, meaning only updates to accommodate new lenses/flashes or repair blocking bugs. We've been waiting for the Eye AF repair for ages now and Fuji will not do that anymore. Your 3) is certainly not something that can be fixed in firmware. So, don't expect Fuji to issue new firmware updates that will solve any of your comments.

I'm not sure what your workflow is (jpeg-based or raw-based) and in case of raw, which software you use? The Fuji skin tones and colors are very nice in jpeg, but skin tones need a lot of work in raw. The jpeg profiles of the Z7 are not as nice as the Fuji film simulations, but the actual skin tones in raw are far easier to work with. We're using Capture One here in our Zürich-based studio.

Edited by Herco