Fuji X-H1 – Your Opinion

This is an important day in Fujifilm's history, as IBIS is a really new and solid chapter in technical progress. Of course there are pros and cons and most of us have a pretty good idea about the "pros", but we should also discuss the "cons". The price, could be one of the consequences of having such a different and powerful camera in Fujifilm's line-up.

One quick technical question comes to mind:

How IBIS will affect battery life? By how much? Tips to maximize the batter life (excepting turning IBIS OFF - can we turn it OFF, by the way?)?

Interesting and useful things to know.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Well, it´s just right for me, the ergonomics being in first place because of my use of large and heavy lenses, and to have a stabilized 16-55 for very dark indoors (where tripods and flashes are forbidden) will be a great thing, so I already preordered. Czech users who already tested the X-H1 extensively say that the battery life is very similar to the X-T2, also with use of the IBIS. Also the viewfinder looks very similar. It´s definitely a great step forwards to a really complete digital camera ecosystem, I only hope that the X-T line stays by it´s smaller form factor and the X-T3 doesn´t get this large grip, a more compact but powerful flagship is needed too.

The X-Hi has lots of great features, but suffers from size-creep; how many models from now until Fuji's flagship camera is as big as a Canikon?

They will still be more compact and lighter than a mid-end DSLR and you cannot expect a FLAGSHIP camera to be something like the X-E3.

Edited by duncansebastian

For stills, this would be a fantastic, if pricey, upgrade from my X-T1.

But my real interest is video. While the footage looks fantastic (indeed, as it did/does with the X-T2), for practical use the camera dies the death of a thousand cuts: no zebra or waveform, reportedly unimpressive AF, lack of headphone jack, record times limits, file spanning (Fat32 4GB limit). And in the Cinema5D overview, a number of flat out bugs that, while hopefully fixable through firmware, don't inspire much confidence.

And then there's the ongoing lack of updated lenses. A nice feature of the X-H1 is the though put into silent operation; ironic, given the noisiness of some of their nicest lenses.

If I were to buy for video, it would probably be and X-T2 with grip (much cheaper now), but most folks who've gone that route have moved on to other brands.

Stabilization was due for a long time, it's here that's lovely, at last !

I appreciate very much Fuji for its film like ergonomics, all you need being straight away visible, there nothing better and it is THE criteria of choice....SIMPLICITY !

And this camera is by far too complicated.

Stabilization was due for a long time, it's here that's lovely, at last !

I appreciate very much Fuji for its film like ergonomics, all you need being straight away visible, there nothing better and it is THE criteria of choice....SIMPLICITY !

And this camera is by far too complicated.

Fuji has simplicity well covered with their entry-level cameras. This camera is anything BUT entry-level. It is intended to carve out a spot in the ever more important video/stills field. It is a fully pro-level camera and makes no excuses about it. Any commercial videomaker will feel completely at home in the complexity of the video menus.

You may have noticed that they also announced the MK lenses in X-mounts. These are lenses designed for commercial use, with all the necessary bells and whistles. At $4kUS, they are not by any stretch of the imagination entry-level or even for enthusiasts. This is in keeping with Fuji's traditional industrial-level clients. At the moment, B&H lists 87 different pro-video Fujinon lenses ranging in price from $4,000 to $233,490.00. During the film era, their large format lenses were considered state-of-the-art and their medium format SLR—GX680—was the envy of Hasselblad users. With the X-cameras, it is somewhat of a new venture for Fuji entering the retail commercial market. 

DSLRs will be around for the foreseeable future, but with diminishing sales. Fuji is wisely laying the groundwork for fully pro-level mirrorless cameras with the GFX50S medium-format and the X-H1 in the video field. Working photographers demand fully featured cameras and take the time to learn the complexities. When CaNikon finally builds pro-level mirrorless cameras, Fuji will already be there.

I tried the Fuji XH1 today in Park Cameras, London , a pre production model of course . I'm a press photographer and have owned an original X100 and currently use an XPRO2 along with my Canon dslrs .

The body felt nice and solid, but appearance is more akin to the GFX than the XT2 with an LCD display on top which I personally don't care for. The exposure comp has gone and now there's a little button to be pressed down and a move of the rear dial which is a bit lame .

Autofocus felt good and is allegedly faster than previous X models , the shutter button is way too sensitive though . I kept accidentally taking pictures when trying to half press, the Fuji rep assured that I'd get used to it though I'm not convinced . Cameras need to have a similar feel, and this is more sensitive than any camera I've ever used, I think he said it was " soft touch " .

I honestly didn't really notice the stabilising though i was using the 100mm 2.8 , so can't really make a judgement .

I'm sure it'll sell very well though the top plate led, exposure comp and soft touch for me are a little off putting . Having several more stops with the stabiliser could be massive though, being able to occasionally use lower ISO's in difficult lighting conditions where movement isn't a problem  .

Hello,

I have been closely following and anticipating the release of the X-H1 to complement my GFX-50s.  However, the information currently available makes no mention of the presence or absence of exposure aids, such as a histogram display.  Does anyone know if the X-H1 has a histogram, RGB or otherwise?

Thank you in advance,
Ron

There’s way more to the H than just video. In fact “Billy” of the Fuji Guys (he’s Fuji manager in Canada) went to some length to explain H as High Performance rather than hybrid as many pundits are saying.

More robust body - 25% thicker magnesium alloy and stronger structure.
8H powder coat finish for much better durability.
Higher resolution EVF.
Larger buttons on back. Relocated rear AF button.
Electronic first curtain shutter. (Zero blackout at 7 FPS.)
More robust (strengthened) lens mount w/ improved weather sealing.
Better low light AF capability. -1 EV
Improved AF and AFC performance.
Dual processors.
Improved grip depth.
Improved weather sealing.
.... and the IBIS.

My take is that this is the rumored high-end, more bullet-proof professional body that was rumored quite a while back and then went silent.  I like the new implementation of the EC (it was too often bumped with the dial location).  You can set the EC button to either be "on while pressing" or to "toggle off and on."  I think this will work out really well in practice and with "toggle off and on" and the front command wheel as the default, it seems it will be a very natural way to implement with the camera to the eye, rather than the awkward thumb movements required to move the EC dial while the camera is at my eye on the T-2.

And I like the fully customizable top LCD.  It is "sticky" (don't know the proper terminology) so that it is visible when the camera is off.  So, rather than a take-down, I see it as an increase.  Battery charge, what auto ISO mode I'm in, how many frames remaining, etc., before I even turn the camera on.

My pre-order for body w/ grip is in!

Rand

Great for wildlife and sports photographers who want a well-balanced camera for big lenses that’s a little smaller than a comparable DSLR. Not so great for people who value the lightweight compactness of the XPro and XT cameras. I won’t be buying one - but I will buy the XPro3, 4, 5...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

Not for me. I am not a video shooter and, perhaps not a sensible approach, but aesthetics play a large part for me in my camera choice. I find the design and shape pretty ugly.

I am a stills/video shooter and it this price level I would have expected better video specs:

ND filters

Zebra

Audio monitor out

10 Bit 4:2:2 recording (this is a must for serious grading)

It looks promising as a high grade stills camera though (looking forward to try it out)

Fuji's XH-1 is going to bring many DSLR shooters to Fuji since the video features are considerable better than most DSLR. Second, the price points for for the XH-1, even with the battery grip, is lower than most DSLR and even some mirrorless contenders. Third, the IBIS is a tremendous step forward for Fuji especially for videos. Fourth the censor of the XH-1 has been twicked and the both the slight lag time between photos for the XT2 has be eliminated and the XH-1 is now a true sport camera. Finally, the build of the XH-1 is 25% stronger then the XT2 and the powder coated shell is scratch proof. 

Will I be buying the XH-1? No, I will stick with my XT2 since video is not important to me and I shoot mostly landscape on a tripod so IBIS is not critical to me. I do think the the Fuji XH-1 is a major step and will bring many DSLR users to the Fuji family.

No brainer for me. Image stabilization remains a revolutionary technology. Hi I have six lenses, among them the 16, 23, 56, and 90. They’ll all be IS now. My chief gripe with Fuji has been a lack of (otherwise beautiful) IS lenses. I pre-ordered the XH-1 with the 16-55. Lack of IS is the only thing having kept me from buying this lens.

I’ll sell my 16 1.4, which I rarely use. I have an XE-2 and 18-55 to off load. Then I have to decide which will go: my beloved X-Pro 2 or my silver XT-2 w/ grip.

That’s going to be a tough decision…

Edited by Tommyboy

My favorite fuji is still the xpro 1 (and X100). I have the xpro2 as well but can't bring myself to selling the one. Keeping it for my daughter's birthday now...

However, despite not being a true believer in in-lens image stabilization (couldn't afford them, bigger, needing to have several if I wanted stabilization throughout the range, etc), I count myself as a convert when it comes to IBIS. Indeed it does work. And that opens up a lot of possibilities for all my lenses.

I just tested it with the 90mm, and took a shot at 1/8 sec, and it was good (to be fair I took a fair amount of them (8), and 3 were good or good enough - I got better towards the end). And I still need to relearn the proper technique, it has been a while since I tried that. Strangely enough, most "misses" were around 1/15 to 1/20sec, while at 1/30th it was all good, and good enough at 1/12th and 1/8th.