Best setup for hiking with a wide lense

sebas1430

I currently have these lenses

Samyang 12mm

35mm f2

18-55mm

55-200mm

I do a lot of hiking, and I can't bring all lenses. I bring almost only 2 lenses with me. So I leave my 12mm because while it's fairly light, it takes some space and it's not a versatile lense. But I'd like my 18-55 to be more wide.

I'm thinking buying the 10-24.

The question is: Would you sell the 18-55? Would you replace it by another compact prime (50 f2 or 60 f2.4)?

I will keep the Samyang for night landscapes only.

I'm also curious to see the new 15-45 but since it's the cheapest lense, I don't have high expectations about IQ.

the 18-55 will give the widest rage of focal lenses available to you.

with that you may also capture some things at moderate distance too and should you have a close up filter you may also venture into macro territory.

The 12mm would be my certain companion if I were only after landscapes.

I sold the 10-24 because I used it too little on any other focal length that was covered by the 18-55 and it was unwise, for me, to have all that money immobilized in a lens that I used mostly as a super wideangle.

The 12 mm is not at all any worse than the 10-24 and sometimes better.

I agree. It's difficult to leave this lense at home...

But I might buy the 10-24 because I love ultra wide lenses (and 18mm is the 2nd top focal length for the 18-55...which is a sign that I would have probably used an even more wide FL).

I'd avoid the 15-45. My wife uses the 16-50mm and it's perfectly fine, but it's much more in line with a Canon or Nikon kit lens. The sharpness isn't bad, but it's got quite a bit of distortion, and is definitely more prone to colour fringing. I can't see the 15-45mm being any better, and I'd bet that the power zoom would eat up more battery life.

Do you shoot with a telephoto a lot? What about using the 10-24 and 55-200? Providing you don't need fast apertures, that would cover pretty much everything.

I'd avoid the 15-45. My wife uses the 16-50mm and it's perfectly fine, but it's much more in line with a Canon or Nikon kit lens. The sharpness isn't bad, but it's got quite a bit of distortion, and is definitely more prone to colour fringing. I can't see the 15-45mm being any better, and I'd bet that the power zoom would eat up more battery life.

Do you shoot with a telephoto a lot? What about using the 10-24 and 55-200? Providing you don't need fast apertures, that would cover pretty much everything.

This is a kit I was also thinking...but in addition of the 35 f2. This kit would weights a little more but would gives everything I need.

I will wait for full test of 15-45, even if I think like you...but just to make sure I won't regret any purhase ;) Anyway... I will not buy the 10-24 at its full price (1300$ in Canada). I will wait for next Fuji rebates in my country.

But with that post, I think I confirmed that the 18-55 is a lense that I can't sell... its the most versatile lense.

I would not sell the 18-55 mm lens. it's too useful.

I would also buy the 10-24 mm lens. It is a great lens, and the 10 mm focal  length is very useful. Some people in this forum use this lens as their main walking-around lens as the 24 mm focal length is just short of a normal lens and the 10 mm setting gives you spectacular composition potential.

Neil

Edited by Neil_42

My typical kit is the 16mm, 23mm, 35mm f/1.4 plus either the 56mm or 55-200mm. The 23mm and 35mm never rotate out because I could flip a coin to pick one, shoot all day with it, and find a way to make it work even if it's not ideal. The 16mm may or may not come along depending on where I'm planning to shoot. I'm partial to primes over zooms though, which is just personal preference.

I owned the 10-24mm for a long time and sold it. It has very good image quality, but the OIS can make it soft in the corners, so most of the time I would turn off that function. I found that I was (somewhat unconsciously) using it as a "scouting lens" and then returning to re-shoot the best images with a prime. Toward the end it sat on my shelf unused for almost 3 months before I finally sold it.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying it if you really like having an ultra-wide zoom option, but I definitely would not sell the 18-55 in your situation. 

I love my 10-24 for travel pics, particularly in cities where you need a wide angle to catch scenes with little room to back up. Takes great pictures. Also, the 18-135 is a great all around choice. Recently have been getting into primes and bought both the 23 & 35 f2. Love the small size. I find I use the 23 most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done a good bit of backpacking and hiking with my XT-1 and I've never brought my 10-24 with me. It's a fine lens but it's just such a beast in size and weight compared to primes (which I favor.) If you aren't put off by the size, I don't think there's really any downside to the 10-24 as a hiking lens. As with most of photography (and life), you've got to do what works for you and not get too wrapped up in whatever the conventional wisdom of the moment is. (And come to think of it, one of my backpacking buddies carries a Canon 5D with a 16-35L.)

18mm f2 lens is great for hiking. It’s small, it’s light, and it is wide enough to give you fine landscapes, without being too wide for people shots/environmental portraits. WR would make it better still - maybe a new version will have it.

I went to Arctic Norway for a trip a few weeks back and used the 18mm exclusively 9d47127bc0c00450b8ecd2a18f800f47.jpegccf90bd9c6b01296b2c31a80a2b3ad82.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

The 18-55 lens is good for all occasions, but during a voyage the best lens  is 10-24mm. With this lens you can take landscape pictures and street photos.No other lens is necessary. when I take a picuture of a face, I use the 56 mm or 55-200, But during a voyage the right lens is only  10-24m F4

Edited by bergat