Widest Rectilinear Prime X Mount Lens?

KateB

Do you know what the widest rectilinear X-Mount prime lens currently available is and how good they are?

I’ve heard great things about the Samyang 12mm, but what about the Samyang 10mm; is the quality good and the distortion low?

There is the Venus Laowa 9mm apparently being launched, but I have seen scant information on this and whilst the images look good, they only come from one source. In any case, it’s not yet released, so I’d prefer not to wait.

Are there any other rectilinear prime x-Mount lens choices below 12mm?

Thanks Milandro,

I think that’s conclusive and thank you also to the lens comparison site; that is a really useful resource.

Maybe one day Fujinon will release an 8mm ultra wide.

In the meantime, the Samyang 12mm is on my shopping list as soon as I get my credit card bill.

Best regards

Kate

Cheers :) if and when the 8mm by Fuji will appear will be a very expensive lens and include autofocus (that at this focal length is absolutely pointless).

As you have seen the best results are for apertures around f8 , at this level an 8 mm lens is always completely sharp at almost any focussed distance (I suppose you are familiar with the concept of hyperfocal distance focussing I use the same technique with the 12mm by the way.

• 2 months later...

On the wide angle side of the Fuji system I've owned the 10-24mm and 16mm. The zoom was very solid in image quality and the distortion was relatively low, but it was a clear step down from the 16mm. I sold the zoom a while ago as I just wasn't using it often enough.

If I were looking at a wide lens right now, the 12mm would be at the top of my list. I've heard great things about the quality and the price point is great. You really don't need autofocus in most situations with that focal length because you're likely shooting at smaller apertures and many times when you'd want to shoot it wide open, such as astro, you'd want to use manual focus too.

That was my experience with the 10-24mm. I rarely used it as a zoom. It was more like two primes that I could choose between without switching lenses. It was set at either 10mm or 24mm most of the time and the 23mm is one of my favorite lenses that I use very frequently. That made the zoom so limited in use for me that it wasn't worth keeping. I may buy the 12mm this summer for some astro shots when I visit the Caucasus Mountains.

• 1 year later...