Sync X100F to Nikon Speedlight SB-910 with M-to-M sync cable

After reading Rico Pfirstinger's book 'The FujiFilm X100F 101 X-pert Tips" I was convinced that syncing my X100F to a Nikon SB-910 Speedlight flash would work.

After hours of testing and trying I didn't succeed firing the SB-910. These are my settings:

1. X100F connected to SB-910 with male to male PC Sync cable. A Pixel TF-321 hot shoe adapter (Canon pins because this one is the only that fits the Fuji hot shoe) mounted on the X100F.

2. Built-in flash of X100F set OFF. Flash Function setting: Manual 

3. Nikon SB-910 set Manual

Anyone any idea and/or suggestion?

I have done some tests using 2 Cactus V6II transmitters to trigger my Nikon SB800 off-camera.   In TTL mode and with the X100F  in aperture priority, I did manage to trigger the flash.  The sync speed is quite low (1/34 sec) but similar with the builtin flash.  I didn't manage to trigger the flash mounted directly on the body nor with one transmitter in between.

The leaf shutter causes weird timing issues.  

On the other hand triggering the Nikon flash off-camera as a slave of the builtin flash did work (use the commander mode).