In search for a full frame equ 24-70 f2.8 lens for Fuji (in light of new smart adaptors)

Dr.Nipun

So, the new smart adapters from Fringer n another comoany have been released n it's being sold like a hot cake. The only reason I can think of buying it, if it becomes available, is so that I can use cheaper good quality lens from Canon which aren't available in Fuji Lineup. FYI I don't have any previous Canon lens.

Now the problems I'm seeing are, Fuji primes are top notch so I don't feel the need for investing in any other brand primes. But the zooms....well, although they aren't bad by any means, the cheaper ones have variable apertures which is quite a pain for me being a wedding photographer and the pro ones have individual issues. To be precise, the problems that bothering me are, 16-55 f2.8 has standard 24-70 focal length but f2.8 produces a full frame f4ish background blur which is not very usable for me at 55 end. Again, being a wedding photographer, background blur is important to me. And 50-140 f2.8 has probably the most notorious background blur as a portrait lens. Now, I have a XF 56mm f1.2 n I'm quite happy with it. But for pro use, I ain't satisfied with my 18-55 n am looking for a full frame 24-70 f2.8 equivalent, which Fuji doesn't have actually due to that aperture issue I mentioned earlier. Only possible solution atm in market (in light of newly released Fringer n Smartee adapters) is Sigma 18-35 f1.8 lens. Although it has almost 24-50 full frame focal length, but I can easily sacrifice the focal length gap for the full frame equivalent f2.8 aperture. So I was really excited about it. Then I found the inconsistent focus issue problem with the lens with canon cameras. So if anyone has a first hand experience with this lens used on Fuji bodies, please let me know your experience. Also one thing I need to know from you guys, will mirrorless cameras like Fuji's need lens calibration? If so, there's again another problem because mostly I use 2 bodies n if a single camera calibration for the lens doesn't work on another body, it'll b very cumbersome for me. Now I am really heart broken. I need a good 24-70 lens. But as Sigma is there, it has reduced my interest to buy 1000+ USD Fuji 16-55. Then again I'm thinking if there is any rumour like Fuji will release a standard zoom lens like Sigma ones or even better, maybe 16-55 f1.8???? I wish they would. That also almost obsolutes the necessity for that smart adapters for me.

So guys, tell me what's yr suggestion n thoughts on the matter? I guess a 16-55 f1.8 should be the first priority for Fuji right now rather than making camera bodies every year.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dr.Nipun

I shot Canon before Fuji, and almost bought the Sigma 18-35.

The focus issues with Sigma are due to the fact that the regular, through-the-lens AF on a DSLR is completely separate from the sensor. Native DSLR lenses can require calibration, too; 3rd party lenses are sometimes simply just more prone to discrepancies between the AF system and the sensor.

Fuji's focusing is all done on the sensor, so if the autofocus system sees an in-focus image, then the sensor will, too. AF accuracy (as long as you're working within the speed limitations of a lens) isn't really an issue with mirrorless cameras.

Having said all that, I have no idea what the adapters are like as far as focusing speed and reliability, so I can't help you there. I imagine that images will always be in focus if the camera thinks they're in focus, and if there are issues, it'll be more with AF speed.

Edited by Phil

• 2 years later...

I used the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 in Canon and for Fuji don't looks anywhere else, your option is the 16-55mm f/2.8. The latter is as sharp as the Canon counterpart. The bokeh is not the same but it's very acceptable.

If Fuji releases a 16-55mm f/2 or f/1.8 (I doubt) the lens will be massive and very expensive, as the 8-16mm f/2.8 is.

I use my Canon 24-70mm on my X-T3 (via Fringer Adapter) and it works fine. AF is not as fast as with Canon bodies but OK.