DOWNLOAD NOW X-T1 Firmware 4.0 ! Share your first impression

Thanks for sharing. I was curious so I did the same tests but I didn't agree with your 4th observation: in all the tests, when "High performance" was on, the IR light remained ON for more than five minutes. Eventually it went OFF, but I was no more observing it, so I don't know the total time it stayed on. Also I observed differently from your 6th observation: even with sensor cleaning turned off the IR light remained ON for more than 5 minutes.

Hey Patrick!!! Hello FUJI!!! I think we can call this a BUG in the firmware!

Thanks for replicating. You are correct, it does stay on longer. Not sure if the battery's state-of-charge (SOC) had anything to do with it. The battery I was using yesterday had 33% charge left. I agree that it may be a firmware fault. Must be impacting the battery. Also, I asked a friend who has not upgraded his X-T1; still on v3. He reports that light turns off upon shutdown. Cheers.

Thanks for replicating. You are correct, it does stay on longer. Not sure if the battery's state-of-charge (SOC) had anything to do with it. The battery I was using yesterday had 33% charge left. I agree that it may be a firmware fault. Must be impacting the battery. Also, I asked a friend who has not upgraded his X-T1; still on v3. He reports that light turns off upon shutdown. Cheers.

Nice hearing you! I made some loose measuments and the IR light remains lit about 20 minutes after turning the camera off (High performance ON). Well, maybe it is not even impacting in a sensible way the battery, but it looks like a BUG, and if it IS a bug, it is always desirable that Fuji fixes all discovered bugs. Maybe this is not a big deal, just a tiny bug, but I think Fuji will like to know and fix it. Cheers.

A moment later ... it is lens-dependent. I replaced the 35 with the 23 -- a clutch lens. I locked the focus ring -- now it's in autofocus mode. With the camera's own focus switch set to either AF-S or AF-C: still no back-button functionality. But when I moved the focus switch on the camera to M, both of the back-buttons started working.

I'm going to report it as a bug. Limiting the functionality that severely doesn't seem like much of a feature.

Have you tried putting "Face detection" in OFF? Mine worked in this way.

Yes, face-detection is off.

A friend, checking with one of his own clutch lenses, also observed that if the lens is set to manual focus and the switch on the camera body is set to "S", turning the focusing ring has no effect. Instead, it's the shutter release that handles the focusing. My first reaction was: wow, there's a serious bug. Why wasn't it caught in testing?

Then it occurred to me: is there a special situation the designers were thinking about, in which photographers would not want the focusing ring to focus the lens ... when instead they'd prefer to keep the lens in manual-focus mode but use the shutter release to focus? If so, I wonder what the situation is.

What I found with a clutch lens (23mm):

Lens set to manual focus (focus ring turning):

Switch on camera set to "M":

Focus ring: focuses

Shutter release: DOF preview

AF-L: no effect

AE-L: exposure lock

Switch on camera set to "C":

Switch on camera set to "S":
  Focus ring: no effect
  Use shutter release alone to focus
  AE-L: no effect

Lens set to auto focus (focus ring not turning):

Switch set to "M":
  Shutter release: DOF preview only (this also seems kind of strange)
  AF-L: focuses

Switch set to "C":
  Shutter release: focuses, but with continuous "hunting"

Switch set to "S":
  Shutter release: focuses -- no "hunting"

Nice hearing you! I made some loose measuments and the IR light remains lit about 20 minutes after turning the camera off (High performance ON). Well, maybe it is not even impacting in a sensible way the battery, but it looks like a BUG, and if it IS a bug, it is always desirable that Fuji fixes all discovered bugs. Maybe this is not a big deal, just a tiny bug, but I think Fuji will like to know and fix it. Cheers.

The only way I know of to reach them is via their page on Facebook. But then I don't use Twitter. Do the "Fuji Guys" hang out on Twitter? I suppose they must. Everyone but me does. :-)

The only way I know of to reach them is via their page on Facebook. But then I don't use Twitter. Do the "Fuji Guys" hang out on Twitter? I suppose they must. Everyone but me does. :-)

Well, we know that, at least, sporadically Fuji reads Fuji Rumors: http://www.fujirumors.com/i-have-the-proof-fujifilm-reads-fujirumors-every-day-and-confirms-x-e2-fw-in-octnov-x-t1-4-0-on-june-22/

With a little luck, they will read here too! Maybe it is a good idea Patrick (FR) gather the (eventually) discovered bugs and make them more visible. Thanks for the suggestion but I have neither Facebook nor Twitter.

Replying to my own post. Well, this is stranger yet.

I asked a friend to double-check one of his clutch lenses, changing settings in the same way I did. I found six instance in which the AE-L and AF-L buttons did not function at all, whether they were used at their default settings or if the positions were swapped.

When the friend tried it, in all six cases both buttons worked.

Baffling. What would account for that, I wonder.

With a little luck, they will read here too! Maybe it is a good idea Patrick (FR) gather the (eventually) discovered bugs and make them more visible.

They probably take a pretty keen interest in feedback w.r.t. major firmware changes. It's great if they are able to get feedback here.

Nice update in many ways. Subjectively, though, I'd say my 35mm f/1.4 hunts more before lock-on even in decent light after the update (in Single Point focus mode), but when it does focus it's dead accurate. Haven't explored all the other features in detail yet, need some moving subjects with faces  ;)

Nice update in many ways. Subjectively, though, I'd say my 35mm f/1.4 hunts more before lock-on even in decent light after the update (in Single Point focus mode), but when it does focus it's dead accurate. Haven't explored all the other features in detail yet, need some moving subjects with faces  ;)

That doesn't match my experience with the 35mm/1.4.  Mine is very quick to lock on, good light or not, after the 4.0 update.  I have no idea what would account for our different results with the 35mm.

It is interesting how experiences differ sometimes between individuals and their equipment.  I saw another post somewhere about the 55-200 not wanting to lock focus in dim light after the update, whereas that poster claimed it worked very well before the update.  That might be the case for that poster, but does not match how my 55-200 is behaving after the update.  Mine locks focus nicely in dim light, and seems faster than before in good light.

This FW update is quite a major one, a lot of thing can toss the AF away, Face Dectection feature being one since it forces the camera to use the Contrast Detection instead of the Phase.

Personnally I haven't seen any upgrade on Single Point AF with my 35mm the new AF-S zone focus is really the star here, although my 18-135 got more sensitive, even on Single Point specially in difficult light conditions.

The camera by itself was already good, these new FWs made it even better but at the same time a lot of things can be affecting so many others (MS for zone tracking, Face Dectection for Phase Detection AF,...) it can be rather difficult for one to remember all the settings and small details about what needs to be set how for that thingy there to work just like everbody else.

I was lost for a bit of time when my camera got updated, it was a good thing for this forum and the beta leak as it helped out a lot for me to sort things out and already know where some of these settings are located and make a semblance of sense out of them.

Yes, face-detection is off.

A friend, checking with one of his own clutch lenses, also observed that if the lens is set to manual focus and the switch on the camera body is set to "S", turning the focusing ring has no effect. Instead, it's the shutter release that handles the focusing. My first reaction was: wow, there's a serious bug. Why wasn't it caught in testing?

Then it occurred to me: is there a special situation the designers were thinking about, in which photographers would not want the focusing ring to focus the lens ... when instead they'd prefer to keep the lens in manual-focus mode but use the shutter release to focus? If so, I wonder what the situation is.

What I found with a clutch lens (23mm):

Focus ring: no effect
  Use shutter release alone to focus

Switch set to "M":
  Shutter release: DOF preview only (this also seems kind of strange)
  AF-L: focuses

Switch set to "C":

Switch set to "S":

This is what I found with the 23mm lens:

Focus ring: if AF+MF is ON, shutter release focuses *AND* focus can be adjusted manually by rotating the focus ring while the shutter button is pressed halfway; if AM+MF is OFF, focus ring focuses and shutter release don't focuses.
  AF-L: if AM+MF is ON, focus lock; if AM+MF is OFF, no effect

Switch set to "M":
  Shutter release: DOF preview only
  AF-L: focuses, don't lock

Switch set to "C":
  AF-L: focuses, focus lock

Switch set to "S":
  AF-L: focuses, focus lock

Some settings I was using during this test:

Autofucus Stting -> Instant AF Setting: AF-S
                           ...-> AF Mode: Single Point
                           ...-> Face Detection: OFF
                           ...-> Pre-AF: OFF
AE/AF-Lock Mode: S (AE & AF ON/OFF Switch)
AF-Lock Mode: AF-L (AF Lock Only)
Shutter Type: MS (Mechanical Shutter)
Interlock Spot AE & Focus Area: ON

I hope this helps. 

Focus ring: if AF+MF is ON, shutter release focuses *AND* focus can be adjusted manually by rotating the focus ring while the shutter button is pressed halfway; if AM+MF is OFF, focus ring focuses and shutter release don't focuses.

Thanks very much for pointing this out. I had missed it entirely. I'm not sure why it is designed that way but I'm glad that the focus ring can be used in "S" mode after all.

In checking this out I ran across something I also hadn't noticed before. I have the AF-L/AE-L buttons at the "switch" setting (rather than "while pressing"). With the clutch lens in manual mode and the switch setting at "S", focus having been locked with the AF-L button can be undone in one of two ways: 1) press AF-L again; 2) half-press the shutter release -- which would normally have no effect in this case -- and turn the focusing ring. That removes the focus lock and enables you to fine-tune focus again with the focusing ring.

I don't know why it was designed this way. They must have had some particular shooting situation in mind. Now I think I'm wrong about the camera's behavior in manual-focusing/"S" mode being a bug.

One of my wish-list items is to have the "switch" - versus - "while pressing" options be available separately for AF-L or AE-L. This is probably not a high-priority item for them. :-)

Funny...! I can't replicate this on my X-T1... No sign of red glow coming from the eye sensor when switching off the camera when using the "High performance" mode. Wondering why...

Easy to see... look at it with a digital camera or smart phone camera.

I left my phone camera resting again the the eyecup for more then 40 minutes.

The Eye Sensor IR LED never went out.

Without my phone resting close, it goes off pretty quick.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Easy to see... look at it with a digital camera or smart phone camera.

I left my phone camera resting again the the eyecup for more then 40 minutes.

The Eye Sensor IR LED never went out.

Without my phone resting close, it goes off pretty quick.

Thanks for answer, but I already saw, we just need a dark ambient (look my older posts in this topic, please). Well, when I loose measured the time it remains lite (20 minutes) the camera remained resting alone, nothing near it. I really don't know if this time varies with something, or it is always the same.

I don't think it's a bug. Turning high performance to on also makes startup time faster.

It is also done by powering some of the components for 20-30 minutes after you turn off the camera so it's quickly ready for shooting if you turn it on again during that time.

Regards

I really had to go into a room with NO light at all to see what you were talking about and even then it was so faint a light that could hardly be seen (in my camera that is!).

Are you not talking of something which might have been there even before this firmware update and that might be something always happening in LED ( and other types of light, including many types of fluorescent tubes?).

Internet is FULL of this about LED staying on after being switched off, google it and you will see threads like this all over the place!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?283847-LED-s-glow-when-off

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29769855-Lighting-LED-Bulbs-staying-on

I don't think it's a bug. Turning high performance to on also makes startup time faster.

It is also done by powering some of the components for 20-30 minutes after you turn off the camera so it's quickly ready for shooting if you turn it on again during that time.

Regards

Well, in this case, I think 5 minutes was good enough for "high performance", don't you think?

I really had to go into a room with NO light at all to see what you were talking about and even then it was so faint a light that could hardly be seen (in my camera that is!).

Are you not talking of something which might have been there even before this firmware update and that might be something always happening in LED ( and other types of light, including many types of fluorescent tubes?).

Internet is FULL of this about LED staying on after being switched off, google it and you will see threads like this all over the place!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?283847-LED-s-glow-when-off

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29769855-Lighting-LED-Bulbs-staying-on

Thanks for the information. The problem is that if "High Performance" is OFF, the IR light turns off at the same time the camera does.

I'm glad to see that my intial post made you think about the problem :-) (IR led lite when camera turned off)

I'm not quite sure it's really bothering in the end, I just wanted to know initially if it was something specific to my camera (it's a brand new one, I had to sent back the 1st one because of a problem with the autofocus mode selector which operated erratically).

I still haven't had enough time yet to fully test the benefits of the new firmware, I hope it'll be as good as many have reported (especially in the C-mode).

I use both 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2, I'm not sure if it makes autofocus faster though in standard shooting conditions.

a phenomenon is only a problem if it causes undesirable effects, this might be a case of “ a little knowledge is dangerous” ( Alexander Pope knew about this in the 17th century already! )

Indeed, very true. At this point only Fuji knows if it is a "feature" or a bug. If it is a feature, I couldn't care less. If it is a bug, I think is nice that fuji knows and fixes it. That's all. I continue loving and using my X-T1 as always!  :)

if it produces no damage it  is neither a feature nor a bug.

You mean, to be a feature it needs to damage? After all, it remains lit only when you set "High Performance" ON. Well, I stiil think it is a feature or a bug, damaging or not. But I respect your opinion and I thank you for let me know it.

no if it doesn’t do anything is just the way a led works when high performance is switched on.

if nothing harmful happens it is not a bug, it is what it is. 

I have given you a fact, rather than an opinion. LED do this thing of staying switched on, for some time after using, even if if the switch is off. It is a LED own characteristics.