DOWNLOAD NOW X-T1 Firmware 4.0 ! Share your first impression

Testing it out with the 18-135mm lens at the moment and so far, it's quite good!

There is a lot less hunting with the 3x3 zone, the 5x3 is a tad bit less sharp due to all the focus points but it's also a bit faster to grab a focus point.

A couple of things tho, while the zone focus is defenitly faster, it's also less precise, don't use it if you need to focus on something small or thin, chances are it's going to focus on the background. So I would swap between the zone and the point focus depending on target.

From the low light test I was able to do, it is more sensitive, it has a better focus in low light, again a lot less hunting with the 18-135mm but I will need to do more testings to see how good it actually is.

The wide zone focus is a bit more trickier to use for me at the moment, I need more praticing to understand how it works but I could certainly see the benefits on my son when he starts running all around.

The T mode on the speed dial might become my default setting, it's really enjoyable to be able to change the shutter speed with the front dial, really good when you need to change the speed while still keeping your eye in the EVF.

I only have the 14mm f2.8 but still see a small improvement with focusing in low light and static objects, not tried tracking yet, and I look foreward to using the other improvements.

The one point I wanted to ask was getting into the different settings if you have chosen the 4 pads as a means to move your focus spot, on the Fuji guy's vid he used the bottom pad to access the focus mode menu, this cannot be done if you have chosen the 4 pads to quickly access and change your focus point, this means to change the focus mode I have to go into the menue which is a bit of a slow way round. Any ideas?

OMG! 

Just downloaded and tested the auto focus even on the 18mm F2 & 35 1.4 lets just say the focus is stellar. Fantastic job. So far the highlight is the improved accuracy in Zone and ofcourse the absolute overhaul of multi point focus! 

Thank you so much Fuji. You rock the socks of Kaizen. 

Much love and enjoy this update everyone. 

If they stopped updating the XT-1 today onwards, I'd still be super happy going forward with how the XT-1 is now. 

Matt 

I did a little test by myself and a little video I want to share with you guys. Sorry is in Italian...  :)

https://youtu.be/UI-yIgcOmNA

Thanks for the video. For even faster AF-S, try to put "rilevamento volto" (face detection) to OFF... you'll then be able to take advantage of the Phase Detection Pixels

As confirmed previously, I was able to update the firmware from the Beta to this latest version with no issues. Although I still suspect it was an early leak of the final version. Comparing the byte size of each file shows them as identical. Maybe the changes were minimal if it was indeed a release candidate or beta.

Firmware file sizes for a particular chip (camera, smartTV or motherboard) are usually a fixed size eventhough content varies from version to version.  The 'leaked' and final versions are NOT the same when doing a byte to byte content comparison.  Don't know what changed from a functionality point of view but the code base is different.  Bottom line... Fuji reps were honest in letting folks know that the 'leak' was not official.

Any comments on battery life?

I haven't noticed any changes so far, used a Patona battery (which holds out for about 350ish shots with some chimping, 35% of the shots, with enhanced mode on).

So far I got around 200 shots in and I just got a glimpse on the  red battery icon but count at least 60% chimping, so my guess is it doesn't seems to be affefcting much, if it does, it's not really noticeable.

Quick thing tho, I didn't do much zone tracking, just focused on doing comparative tests between the AF-S 3x3 and 5x3.

Another update on the 35mm, like everybody else, very suprised by the sudden performance increase, a lot less hunting, a lot more accuracy with the 3x3 zone but just like the 18-135mm, don't try to focus on small subjects, it's going to be relatively nasty.

Something that took me by surprise tho, I was trying to get a shot of an itty bitty spider, around 3-4 mm at 135mm whithin macro zone on manual focus and I wasn't able to lock onto it manually at all, out of curiosity pressed the AF lock and bam, the spider came in right into focus.

I really wasn't expecting it to grab the focus on something so small that it was being blurred out by the foreground bokeh.

Anyone had any issues? It seems my camera is stuck in continuous focus now. Doesn't matter if I'm in single focus or continuous all lenses I have mounted just keep trying to focus like if the camera is in AF continuous mode... :-/ 

Did you check if the Pre-Focus option is enabled ?

MD5 and SHA-256 checksums are different between the early "beta" version and the official "fuji" version.

I'm also noticing performance differences in low light AF capability. I was having some problems with the 56mm 1.2 but now it performs like a champ in very low light.

Cheers!

Rolly

THANK GOODNESS!  because I wound up returning the 56 due to it's constant hunting with my X-T1

I'm impressed with FW 4.0 - understatement! Will be doing more testing later today. However, I'm interested in hearing about performance with FW 4.0 compared with your DSLR or some of the other mirrorless systems said to have superior focusing abilities. So, if you have access to say, a Sony A6000 for example, could you tell us about how the X-T1's performance compared both before and after the 4.0 update? 

I'm convinced that there is a significant improvement over previous firmware AF performance. No argument with that, since I was often frustrated with AF with previous FW. And, Fuji has provided incremental improvements since 1.0. I was far less frustrated by the time 3.0 came around. 4.0 so far seems more like a 6.0 release in terms of the increase in AF performance when compared to previous updates. That is really cool. But, has Fuji closed the AF performance gap with competing systems. If not, what do you think Fuji needs to do to achieve parity?

For people asking about different lenses performance, in the custom site Fuji made for the new AF, it states that the new

firmware enhance performance of the linear motor.

So the lenses with a linear motor, like the 35 and 60, are the ones with the biggest improvements. :)