Hello from the Isle of Man

Manxmaid

Hi,

I am new to the forum and fairly new to Fuji, having bought my X-T2 and some lenses in October last year. Previously I was a long-time Nikon user but the image quality and smaller and lighter body and lenses were a big attraction and I have not regretted the purchases.

I live in the beautiful Isle of Man, which is the island in the middle of the Irish Sea and probably best known for tail-less Manx cats and the TT road races for motorcycles. It is a wind-blown place for much of the year, but with a mountain, glens, beaches, villages and lots of open countryside it is a peaceful and photogenic place to live.

Looking forward to getting involved here  :) 

Welcome MM, there are shed loads of ex Nikon shooters around the Fuji world, me included for two years now, the feeling of losing all that weight is really liberating. If you have a technical query, people will fall over themselves to help out!

I’ll ask the inevitable question can we see some photos?

Thanks, Mike.  I have had a foot in both camps since October as I waited to see if the Fuji kit really suited me, but with the Nikon gear gathering dust it's feeling inevitable that it will be sold or possibly traded for a couple of the lovely Fuji primes!

You can tell I am leaning this way by the fact I have come looking for a forum to see more Fuji imagery and pick up tips as I continue to get used to the new body and lenses and want to make the most of them :)

I do have some images on Flickr, although only the most recent are taken with the X-T2, but here is one of my favourites so far taken with the very nice 10-24:

38717886342_c9e4ede8b8_b.jpg
46 Remote by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Andrea, the 10-24 is also one of my fave lenses, your photo is super lots a sky! I’m going through a prime phase this year this was taken on the Rhine this summer with the 23mm1.4 @ 1/210 f11 ISO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Castle Faltz

Edited by Mike G

Andrea, the 10-24 is also one of my fave lenses, your photo is super lots a sky! I’m going through a prime phase this year this was taken on the Rhine this summer with the 23mm1.4 @ 1/210 f11 ISO.

attachicon.gifA090D202-F88E-482D-904D-BE42BED8F568.jpeg

Castle Faltz

Such a striking building and lovely details!  I visited the Rhine many years ago and would love to go back again.

• 2 weeks later...

Manxmaid, we had the good fortune to spend several days on the Isle of Man back in the late 80's. What a beautiful place and what friendly people. Seeing your post brought back fond memories of having been there. Yes, we just got lucky and were there for the TT race. Wow! That was amazing. 

Like you, I'm fairly new to Fuji, but love them! 

• 2 weeks later...

Manxmaid, we had the good fortune to spend several days on the Isle of Man back in the late 80's. What a beautiful place and what friendly people. Seeing your post brought back fond memories of having been there. Yes, we just got lucky and were there for the TT race. Wow! That was amazing. 

Like you, I'm fairly new to Fuji, but love them! 

Thank you for the welcome, and I suspect the island hasn't changed very much since you were here in the 80s :)  It is definitely a lively place when the races are on and more laid back for the rest of the year, but always lovely surroundings.

We all say it is about weight and yet if you look at the weights of the 50-140 and the coming 200mm those weights are creeping up and if you add the battery box as well the size is creeping up too..........

Hi,

I am new to the forum and fairly new to Fuji, having bought my X-T2 and some lenses in October last year. Previously I was a long-time Nikon user but the image quality and smaller and lighter body and lenses were a big attraction and I have not regretted the purchases.

I live in the beautiful Isle of Man, which is the island in the middle of the Irish Sea and probably best known for tail-less Manx cats and the TT road races for motorcycles. It is a wind-blown place for much of the year, but with a mountain, glens, beaches, villages and lots of open countryside it is a peaceful and photogenic place to live.

Looking forward to getting involved here  :) 

Welcome to the Fuji entourage! Getting to the TT would be a fine thing it is on my bucket list, but trying to book a hotel there is as crazy as trying to do same in Monaco for the GP there. One year I hope to make it before they ban all forms of motorised sport.

Going to the London Brighton run to see that this year. Planning on taking a 100F and a GFX with 63mm or 100F with X-T2 and 35/56mm.

Edited by Him

Welcome to the Fuji entourage! Getting to the TT would be a fine thing it is on my bucket list, but trying to book a hotel there is as crazy as trying to do same in Monaco for the GP there. One year I hope to make it before they ban all forms of motorised sport.

Going to the London Brighton run to see that this year. Planning on taking a 100F and a GFX with 63mm or 100F with X-T2 and 35/56mm.

If you like motorsports then you would love the TT!  The island revolves around the racing and motorbikes in general for the whole fortnight of practices and races, and the island itself is quite lovely.  Most hotel accommodation is booked up to a year in advance but you might have more luck looking for a private rental, or coming for the practice week rather than race week itself.

Hope you enjoy the London-Brighton as that looks like a real spectacle.

Manxmaid, yes I realize hotel booking has to be done perhaps 2 years in advance. Going to Monaco GP is even worse! London-Brighton will be my first visit. Hopefully not hissing down, then it would be a really fun day, especially the steam driven 'cars'.