Things I dont like about my X- T2

photobob

The Fujifilm X-T2 is the best camera I ever had but there are things that I don’t like about it:

First:

Too many options.

This may seem like an advantage, but to me it causes confusion especially if you inadvertently tune in a option during a shoot and need to search the menus to figure out how to turn back to your preference. The more I get familiar with the camera this is likely to be less of a problem.

Second:

Battery life & Battery cost.  Battery does not last very long even with many settings to conserve life. The cost of the OEM battery is very high.

Aftermarket batteries are cheap but don’t last quite as long. I need at least 2 or 3 batteries for an average shoot. I have 7. 1 OEM and 6 after market.

This is an issue with most mirrorless based on small battery size and with more power needs.

Coming from a Pentax K3 which gave me about 550 shots even with a cheap battery and regular “chimping”.

Third:

The right front function button is activated too easily by picking the camera up. Fortunately you can disable the button, which I did.

Fourth:

Using rear button focus method is cumbersome due to the small size and placement of the AF-L and AE-L button when programed and the focus is disabled on the shutter button. I did go back to focus on the shutter button, but I programed the AF-L button to lock focus until pressed again (a feature I like a lot as long as I remember to press it to unlock focus). Also this does not reset when the camera is turned off, I’m not sure how I feel about this part yet.

Fifth:

I keep the camera in Eye sensor + EVF only mode to conserve battery (Re-learning not to “Chimp”). I think there should be an override when searching the menu so it shows on the rear display when menu is selected.

Sixth:

The shutter button height should be raised. I tried the little button, people are purchasing, to raise the height but lost it the first day. Also when turning on by pressing the button it often makes an exposure. I guess I would rather deal with this than a slow recovery.

Seventh:

EVF a bit too much contrast. Not a big deal once I got used to it and realized the highlights would be ok in exposure. The rear screen gives much better representation of the actual tonal range.

Eighth:

Setting the camera for use with manual flash requires setting to manual then turning preview exposure off. Why this can’t be done with a manual flash setting that automatically sets this. This is also hard to decipher from the manual. I did find the information on YouTube.

Ninth:

I am prone to leave a card in the computer then pick up the camera and go shooting. Then I am told there is no card in the camera and the camera won’t shoot until I either add a second card or select sequential in the menu. Why?

In closing my first mirrorless was a Samsung NX-10 that I sometimes used with an adaptor and Pentax lenses . The image quality was OK (14 mpxls) but the refresh rate and EVF were awful. The size and weight were the advantages but the limitations were not enough to keep it from E-bay. The Fujifilm X-T2 is likely the last system I will own. And I’m OK with that.

Me thinks you need some gentle training to get the hang of the X-T2.  I come from the D800/D800e family which got over 1000 shots per battery and honestly, I have no issues with carrying Fujji/Wasabi batteries. These way .15 of an OUNCE.  seriously.  Is it that big of a deal?

Too many options?  Maybe.  However, I have been begging Fuji for a quick firmware update that will MEMORIZE any functions that are programmed into C1 - C7.  For me, this will eliminate menu hunting.  Also, may  suggest the "MY MENU" feature.  It's not a fix all, but it certainly helps.

I use both the front command dial and the button.  I have them set to certain functions.  the front command dial selects my iso and the small 'press in' button, whatever it's called -I use it to lock focus as I moved it away from the REAR buttons which you cover a paragraph down in your post.

Don't know what it's called but when my eye is not to the eyepiece, my rear display is lit and functional.  With this i still get 300+ Jpeg+raw...  Not an issue here.

Shutter button:  I like it's position.  Never have given it much thought as to whether it's too high or too low.  Who cares.  You'll get used to it.  As far as the "button" you mention you may have gotten a cheap screw in (?) possibly.  I've had my "gecko" green one on my X-T2 for about a year and a half without issue.  Mine has a thin rubber O-ring and when you screw it into the shutter release it does not come off for ANY reason (so far).

Flash:  Don't give a poop.  Rarely if ever use flash - even though with my old Nikon system I used two+ speed lights, and Pocketwizards.  I will say having to go into the menu setting and turn preview off or on is a PITA.  But you know I haven't looked at having that option in MY MENU as like I said I stay away from flash whenever possible.  

That whole card thing I've complained about on my blog post a while back.  Dumbest thing ever.  I tend to do the same - leave the card in the computer or card reader.  Not sure how to address that issue, but the way I use my card is either:  Backup (one card to another) or, jpeg to one and raw to the second.  As a matter of fact, I'm shooting a Karate event on Saturday and that's how I'll have the card set -- JPEG to one card, RAW to a second -- this way,  I can, right from my iPhone and iPad send the JPEG's out during the event - and I'll just save the Raws (of which I use UNCOMPRESSED) for prosperity/archive purposes.

Welcome to the FUJI fold!  Let us know if you have ANY questions.

I don't like how easy it is to press in the rear control wheel - makes actually turning it without pressing it quite awkward.

When set to use the front wheel for ISO or exposure compensation you are also offered the option to change aperture - when your lens has an aperture ring! Hence rather than knowing if it's on one setting a press to change to the other doesn't work as you have to check it's not on the non operational 'F' setting. Quite easy for them to sort out in a firmware update - I hope!

Limited options for the Q and "My Menu" are a pity.

I have set the front function button to duplicate the AF-L button for focussing giving me the option to use either!

I use a function button for the turn preview off 

Honest opinion. Refreshing. Valid on many points. Button placement isn't perfect for everyone, it's easy to accidently change a setting, battery life mediocre. All cameras are a tradeoff. Size and cost are the biggest. All things combined it's either good, very good, of great, depending on how you use it and what you use it for.

Thanks for the responses especially jlmphotos .

​Right about one thing as you use a system it gets easier.... it took a while to format the cards without searching the menus, but now I 've got it.

Although I complained about the shutter button height , it was more defined than other cameras I have owned. Just nit picking.

I retired from the business years ago and reclaimed my amateur status . When digital came around I couldn't resist taking a few jobs as long as my knees held out.

Now I 'm shooting mostly for pleasure and some volunteer event coverage .

Sold all of the big heavy stuff and now have a X-T2 and 3 zooms covering 10 - 200 mm also a cheap fisheye.  I dropped over half the weight and am having twice the fun.

The X-T2 is, hands down, the best camera I've ever owned.

High ISO's make available light the preferred method of most casual photographers. Unfortunately many talented photographers are ignoring the use of flash, which when mastered can make huge difference , especially in portraiture.   

When adopting a new system, I reckon it’s bad practice to compare the new with the old. It will only lead to frustration when you do! When Nikon and I divorced it was a clean break, but the learning curve for the new Fuji gear was very enjoyable.

Edited by Mike G

Mike , ill be in London next week...... It was the only way to get tickets to Hamilton. And visit my kid. However leaving 29c temps in Arizona, for London & Leeds (I wonder)

You are right, but it is natural to compare and to change practices when they make sense.

It took me years to adopt rear button focus, and I used it for the last year on my Pentax K-3, however those little buttons on the rear of the X-T2 made it  difficult to continue the practice. But the X-T2 focuses so much faster ,switching back to shutter button focus was no big deal.

Each time I take it out I learn something new.

As I said in a earlier post, I switched systems mostly to drop weight. I just weighed my gear for the trip and it is less than half of what I use to travel with :D  :D  :D 

Bob, it ain’t gonna be anywhere near 29 degrees Fahrenheit I presume you mean, you will need to keep your warm coat on!, and it will probably be raining at some time. It will be slightly warmer here maybe 7-8 degrees C.

My biggest beef with Nikon is their viewfinders, very inadequate eye relief! And the weight of course!

The only thing about all Fujifilm cameras that drives me crazy is that so many of the functions in the menu don't work unless something else is enabled/disabled.  A function is grayed out because I have it on ES (museum quiet) or whatever.  I wish there was a chart I could stick in my camera bag.  My Nikon had an info button that told me what was wrong.  I miss that.