Leica 50mm F2 Summitar LTM

I recently purchased a Leica 50mm F2 Collapsible Summitar in an LTM  mount for my X-T1 with Firmware 3.1 from Vermont Camera Works http://vermontcamera.com/ for $225.  (sidebar, this store is owned by a semi-retired gentleman who's store in Pittsford VT should be a stop if you are nearby.  Much more stuff in his store than online and it's like walking into a museum. Nice guy who I never met before but will go back again).  

It was in excellent condition.  A few observations:

This is a beautifully made lens.  I wanted it as soon as I touched it.  I wasn't sure how it would handle or the image quality, but the mechanical quality was outstanding and exceeded any lens I own. It's not rational, but true.   It's all metal lens with all markings engraved.   It's deceptively heavy for it's size.  The first time I picked it up I was very surprised and I was expecting it to weigh more like the Fuji 18/2 which is about 4oz.   The Leica has some heft at 220 grams /  7.7 oz.   

This is a very tiny lens.

width                                                               48 mm

height collapsed without the adapter               43 mm

height extended without the adapter               50 mm

height collapsed with adapter and lens cap    50 mm

Collapsed with the adapter it fits in a pants pocket with not too much issue.  It's hardly noticed in a coat pocket.   I can't overstate how small range finders lenses are.  Taking two or three in a pouch big enough to hold the Fuji 23/1.4 is very nice.   

Below is a photo of the lens collapsed with the adapter on.  You can see that the back of the lens protruded a few millimeters into the camera--but not enough to touch anything and it collapses with no issues on the X-T1.  

19210891656_694055c0ba_n.jpgLeica 50mm F2 Summitar LTM by Michael DeCorte, on Flickr

The collapsing of the lens is very craftsmanship.  At the very front of the lens is a knurled ring that can be twisted counter clockwise to unlock the front assembly and a firm but smooth push to collapse.  I wish modern lenses had this.    It can collapse with no issues on the X-T1.  There are pictures of the lens mounted on the X-T1 and compared to the Fuji 35mm.  I love the pancake like aspect.  To collapse the lens you give a twist.  It's very nicely constructed and rather fun to play with.

This is a screw thread lens and of course needs an adapter.  The Fotasy adapter works fine and at $9 is a steal. To help tighten down the lens to the camera mount, the lens has a small knob on the focus ring that locks into a catch at infinity.  I don't love that it locks at infinity, but I almost never focus to infinity so it's not been an issue. 

Focusing takes a bit to get used to.  The focus ring is near the body and very thin.  The small knob on the focus ring helps to hold onto the focus ring.  The focusing is well dampened--and tighter then most lenses today. Focus has infinity on the right like Leica lenses, but opposite from Fuji 23/1.4.  Close focus is about 1m.  I found that the best way to hold the lens for focusing is wrap my index finger and thumb around the focus ring and knob.  It provides more control and comfort.  It didn't take long to come to find this grip and now I don't notice it at all.  

The aperture ring is towards the font of the lens on the assembly that collapses.  It's F2..F22 and stepless.  The dampening is lighter than the focus but not so light to accidentally change.  

I'm very happy with the image quality.  At F2.0, it's very acceptably sharp in the center, a little soft in the corners, and contrast is a little low.  By F2.8 it clears up nicely.  Now if I compare it to the Fuji 35mm, it never catches up, but that's ok for me.  

Below is a 1:1 image at F2.0, followed by another at F4.0.  

19414095504_15b3fe40c1_n.jpg_DSF2177.jpg by Michael DeCorte, on Flickr

19848675958_9b5ea81b12_n.jpg_DSF2328.jpg by Michael DeCorte, on Flickr

Bokeh is often swirly.  Not really my thing but if you like that then you will love this lens.

20028704542_e25462f3cb_n.jpg_DSF1239.jpg by Michael DeCorte, on Flickr

19251940181_7c869fbf30_n.jpgLeica 50mm F2 Summitar LTM @F2.0 by Michael DeCorte, on Flickr

Back lit subjects will loose a lot of contrast and can just fall apart.  Keep the sun out of the frame.  

Focus Peaking works well with this lens, but not as well as the Hexanon 50/1.4.  Still, at F2.0 with a tight headshot, I'm probably at 50-75% in focus at 1:1 in LR.  Maybe with practice this will get better--but that's my issue not the lens.  

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite lenses.  I love the size, it's one of my preferred the focal lengths, fast enough to isolate the subject.  So small, and very nice images.  

A few more images

19221959936_64d7c9af47_n.jpgLeica 50mm F2 Summitar LTM @F2.0 by Michael DeCorte, on Flickr

20010230486_f9bd5c69bc_n.jpg_DSF2017.jpg by Michael DeCorte, on Flickr

18627586633_3b11ce2b43_n.jpgLeica 50mm F2 Summitar LTM @F2.0 by Michael DeCorte, on Flickr

Here are some photos of lens and brick walls   SOC untouched.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mdecorte/sets/72157652863446203/