Russian r/f Lenses on Fujifilm digital cameras

kypfer

Hi,

I've got an assemblage (not really a collection) of lenses I used to use on my Zorki cameras, including lenses like the Russar MP-2 20mm, the Orion 15 28mm and Jupiter 12 35mm, all in Leica (M39) screw. Those who are familiar with these will recognise they all have protruding rear elements, to a greater or lesser degree.

My question, rather obviously, is ... can they be used, with an appropriate adaptor, on a Fujifilm camera, or are there mechanical limitations which restrict this. I have scrolled through the postings, but didn't find anything relative to this point.

I have an opportunity locally to obtain a Fujifilm camera at a very reasonable price, without lens, so would need to obtain an L39 adaptor. I'd rather not do this only to find I can only use my longer focal-length lenses ... 50mm, 85mm and 135mm.

TIA

Thanks for the link. I was fully aware of this type of adaptor, my question was : "Will my Jupiter 12 etc. be usable once this adaptor is fitted, or are there other limitations to be considered?" I don't want to invest in a camera body plus adaptor to no real benefit.

I've tried several searches across the net and come up with a few conflicting answers, the net result being I've not found anyone (yet) who's actually got one of these lenses and is using it on a modern mirrorless digital camera!

For the benefit of those unfamiliar with these lenses, they are of a very old, non-retrofocus design, with the glass of the large rear element literally a few millimetres from the film plane, as seen here http://slrlensreview.com/web/images/easyblog_images/62/jupiter-12.jpg

For some lens you have to use a step up ring M39->M42 and an adapter M42-Fuji X because the distance between the sensor and the back of the lens

Does that mean I would lose infinity focus? ... if so it's not really what I'm looking for. I don't want to use the lenses just for the sake of it, I really would like to use them for general photography.

It's just that I have this selection of relatively compact reasonable quality lenses (that I can't use on my SLR whilst retaining infinity focus) and would like to find a compact body to use them on.

Photographically speaking, I can achieve just about anything I want with my digital SLR and a collection of lenses accrued over a 40+ year period. The only minor irritation is that a conventional (mirrored) SLR is comparatively bulky compared to a rangefinder or mirrorless digital camera. As I have the lenses to hand, I'd like to be able to take advantage of them, if a practical solution can be found.

With some you lose infinity. It's the case of the Tair 3S, the 300mm. I had to order a customized adapter because you lose the infinity focus. With other lens, like the Voigtländer 21mm M39, I had to use the stepup ring because you cannot focus the short distance. The back of the lens is too close to the sensor.

With other lenses, like Tair 135, Helios 42, 44 and so on, everything worked perfectly.

Did a little bit of searching and the Jup 12 doesn't work on a fuji or cropped Sony body (A6000). Apparently you'll need a Sony A7.

Many thanks for that. I'd not been able to find a categorical statement to that effect and as I had an option on a Fuji I thought I'd ask the question :)

I use a Helios M42 44-2 with an adapter with ZERO problems, wonderful swirling bokeh. I also use several Pentax prime lenses with and adapter with no problems

... and your point is? I use a Helios 44-2, several Pentax primes and very many other very good lenses on my SLR ... what I was trying to find out was if I could use some specific Russian rangefinder lenses on a Fujifilm mirrorless ... apparently not!

Kypf, russian lenses are quite cheap, beside very few samples, that you could buy the one you want to test and sell it if it doesn't work

I don't want to buy any lenses, I've got a boxful of lenses, including the three lenses mentioned in my original question. I simply wanted to know whether I could use the lenses I already own with a Fujifilm digital camera.

Of all the "answers" I've received, only one actually dealt with my original question, all the others have waffled on with various irrelevances !