Wide dilemma

screenbyte

Hi all

I have the 16mm1.4 and although I love the lens it's just the wrong length for me.

I need something wider and also something else with a longer focal length.

I've been offered a swap for a 10-20 f4 which would do the job in one or I could get something like a Samyang 10mm and a 23/35 Fuji.

Carrying two lenses isn't a issue but quality is important.

What way should I do this or do you have any ideas please?

There’s a detailed comparison here:

https://www.fujivsfuji.com/10-24mm-f4-vs-primes/

Bottom line is, the 10-24 is a fantastic lens. But it’s big, and it weighs 1lb. Great for occasions when you don’t mind carrying camera bags and conspicuous kit with you. Not so good if you want to slip a lens on and forget about it, or if you want to blend into the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and the link, it appreciated.

I’ve been reading and reading and I’m still not quite sure what to do though.

I might hire a 10-20 and see how I get on with it.

I also have the chance of swapping the 16mm for a 16-55 now. That would cover the midrange I need and then I could get the 10 or 12 Samyang to get my wide needs covered.

I’m confused.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I have the 16mm1.4 and although I love the lens it's just the wrong length for me.

I need something wider and also something else with a longer focal length.

I've been offered a swap for a 10-20 f4 which would do the job in one or I could get something like a Samyang 10mm and a 23/35 Fuji.

Carrying two lenses isn't a issue but quality is important.

What way should I do this or do you have any ideas please?

I am comparing XF 16mm F1.4 vs XF 14mm F2.8. I need the advantage of F1.4 as I love to shoot in low light situations. I wished the 14mm was F2.0, instead of F2.8; I am still considering the 14mm, as I thing this is the widest focal length, until you get some disturbing distorsions (12mm, 10mm, etc). And all comparison tests have their flaws, but I've seen 2 situations when the highly appreciated XF 16mm F1.4 offered less IQ than the older XF 14mm F2.8. Which makes my decision even harder. I don't know if this helps. :)

I am comparing XF 16mm F1.4 vs XF 14mm F2.8. I need the advantage of F1.4 as I love to shoot in low light situations. I wished the 14mm was F2.0, instead of F2.8; I am still considering the 14mm, as I thing this is the widest focal length, until you get some disturbing distorsions (12mm, 10mm, etc). And all comparison tests have their flaws, but I've seen 2 situations when the highly appreciated XF 16mm F1.4 offered less IQ than the older XF 14mm F2.8. Which makes my decision even harder. I don't know if this helps. :)

But there is always the cheaper and appreciated Samyang 12mm f2.0 NCS

To me it partly depends on how closely you like to inspect your images for quality. Personally, I'm not big on digging down into the pixels unless I've taken two shots of the same scene and want to decide which to keep. But it's important for some people. If that's your style, then you might be disappointed by the 10-24mm if you're comparing it directly to the 16mm. Both are great lenses, but if you like to zoom way in on your images then the 16mm is going to beat the zoom and you will notice it.

I strongly prefer prime lenses because I find myself being more instinctive and focused on composition. In my mind, if you're a fan of prime lenses then you're really missing out if you don't have the Fuji 23mm or 35mm (these two in f/1.4 versions account for ~90% of my shots). If you prefer zooms, then that changes things a bit. I'd probably be inclined to trade for the 16-55mm and buy a Samyang in that case.