itsjamie17

How to take sharp photos using a fully manual lens on X-T20?

I always get blurry shots when I use a fully manual lens on my X-T20. I have focus peaking activated and when I view it from the EVF, it seems really sharp but when I actually take the shot, it comes out blurry. I don't have this problem with the X-A3. What could I be doing wrong with the X-T20? For reference, I use Meike 35mm f1.7, meike 50mm f2, 7artisans 25mm f1.8, and samyang 12mm f2

please can you post examples of the photographs and settings used

Can you rule out, motion blur?, camera shake? or DOF issues?

if you focus using the screen like on he XA instead of the EVF do you still have the problem?

Do you have any Fuji lenses to test camera with in auto focus?

please can you post examples of the photographs and settings used

Can you rule out, motion blur?, camera shake? or DOF issues?

if you focus using the screen like on he XA instead of the EVF do you still have the problem?

Do you have any Fuji lenses to test camera with in auto focus?

I just set everything to manual since manual lenses can't communicate with the camera itself. I used single point tracking instead of wide tracking as I have read that might be the problem but I still get the same results.

I have shaky hands and I've read that the XT20 doesn't have an image stabilizer so I don't know if that could be the problem? But what confuses me is that when I use manual focus on my fuji lenses, they come out sharp enough. Not as sharp as shots taken with autofocus, but decent enough. The manual lenses also come out sharp when I use a hand grip with remote shutter so I guess it could just be because of my shaky hands?

shoot outside or somewhere you can use 1/250 or faster shutter should remove camera shake

if using the 35mm Shoot at F/8 with focus object a few meters away to give you a large DOF.

would still like to see an example

also make sure shooting without lens is switched on in the menus.

probably just needs practice. but is a lot harder to nail manual focus when shooting with a shallow dof (f/1.7) than at F/8 etc

goodluck

shoot outside or somewhere you can use 1/250 or faster shutter should remove camera shake

if using the 35mm Shoot at F/8 with focus object a few meters away to give you a large DOF.

would still like to see an example

also make sure shooting without lens is switched on in the menus.

probably just needs practice. but is a lot harder to nail manual focus when shooting with a shallow dof (f/1.7) than at F/8 etc

goodluck

Thanks! Will try that. I almost always shoot at f1.7 to get that nice bokeh effect.

I'll upload a sample shot as soon as I can. Thanks again for your help!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Shehab Ahmed
      I just got a Fuji X-T20 2 days ago and I have some problems 
      first of all my battery takes a full day to charge which is very odd 
      secondly every time i record 4K it says “write error” however I did insert a old memory card on it with only 17mb writing speed, it works fine with 1080 recording but the problem only occurs when I record 4K. So I ordered a sanDisk extreme pro 32Gb with a 90mb writing speed and it will arrive in 3 days. 
      so can the problem be due to the old memory card or should I just return the camera and get a refund?
    • By gburl3
      Got an xt20 this year. Also besides the 18-55 kit lens I have purchased a 27mm, a 10-24mm, a 55-140. I just purchased a Lee filter kit with Big and Little stopper. Live in the Smoky Mountain area, so lots of good landscapes to photograph. Question. I understand I need to block light from coming through the view finder when using the filters. How do I do that, put it on LCD only?
    • By eljay24
      Has anyone encountered an issue where after attaching or changing a lens and turning the camera on the screen flickers like shown on this video I recorded earlier?
      I have tried cleaning the contact pins on the camera and the lens but the issue still persists. The lenses I have are the 23mm 1.4 and the 18-55 kit lens. There is no issue when turning on the camera without a lens or when using a manual lens without contact pins. The flickering also happens randomly, sometimes attaching a lens produces no issue, sometimes it does. I don't know what causes it.
      Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    • By dubiouswatermelon
      I recently got an XT20 with the 18-55 kit lens. Today I was trying it out at home, when I found out that when I try to zoom quickly in or out in manual mode, I see a horizontal light appear for a fraction of a second on the EVF. I cannot see this happening on the LCD. This happens only in manual mode, and not auto. This does not happen when recording a video. I am using mechanical shutter. But I don't think this is a shutter issue as I see this white line for a second when zooming quickly. Also I don't see it when I see EVF auto brightness from Auto to manual. The firmware is updated. Also tried zooming outside, I don't see that issue.
      The issue is as described here by another user:

• By Bayu Indiartoputra
      Hello, i want to ask. 
      Whats the best lens adaptor for canon ef to fujifilm xt-20? Thanks for your advice😊