XT2 video arbitrary shutoff issue - terrible!

mpalmer

I am using a Fuji XT2 to shoot a series of lectures that last around 10 minutes each. For the past several days I’ve been doing this, the camera will stop recording to the end of a movie about 8-10 lectures in. It’s gotten to where I can almost roughly predict when it’s going to happen. It seems to be a problem with the camera reaching it’s 4GB limit in a movie, then shutting off instead of smoothly transitioning to the new file. It only seems to do this once per card per day. After it happens I can continue to record more 10-min lectures onto the card without a problem. Why is it doing this? I am completely exasperated!

I am upgraded to the very latest XT2 firmware, am using Velocity 128GB SDXC cards that I bought at a reputable camera store, and I have tried recording on both drive 1 and 2 and with different cards and the problem still persists. It's happened to me about 5 times now.

I NEED to solve this problem, as I come across as very unprofessional when I have to tell the person in mid-lecture that she has to start all over again because my camera mysteriously stopped recording. This is a SERIOUS, SERIOUS issue that keeps me from recommending the use of this camera in a professional setting.

Edited by mpalmer

apparently the limit is imposed by software because of a legal definition of a video camera as opposed to a photo-camera that can also take moving pictures.

Not only a Fuji problem. Not only, it is nota EU law  (as some on line say) it is across borders.

Edited by milandro

The 30 minute length limitation imposed by the EU is NOT the issue I am describing.

The Fuji is supposed to be able to record up to around 30 uninterrupted minutes onto a card, splitting that into roughly 5 minute files. What my camera is doing is not splitting the files in the recording process as it is supposed to but shutting off and stopping the recording after the first 5 minutes expires. It is NOT doing this when it is approaching the card being full, but in the middle of the card being full, around 64GB for the 128GB card. What's bizarre is that once it stops I can just start it up again and it records just fine from that point on. Of course I lose a vital few seconds because of this, not to mention my reputation and my cool, so it's not like this is any kind of a solution.

It died on me again today at a crucial moment, and makes me want to throw the camera in the garbage and buy another brand.

there is always the possibility of a card issue since they are not all the same, the same goes for the batteries and if all of this is not the issue there might be something wrong with he camera and you need to have it serviced (they will probably ask you about battery and cards).

Good luck.

then it might be a camera problem.

I don’t think that all X-T2 have this problem and probably you’d be better served by sending the camera to a complete service which should be carried out under warranty.

There is no way to know whether this is a hardware or software problem unless one runs some diagnostics program that is not available to common mortals.

Additionally the number of variables ( and their interaction) is simply too great.

If this isn’t a straightforward fault (and it doesn’t appear to be) it might be the result of two (or more) completely unrelated software-software, software-hardware, hardware-hardware, faults .

what do you mean it is not under warranty? How old is this camera?

even if you bought it in the grey circuit you have 12 months international guarantee. This should apply even if you are not the original owner.

Anyway if for whatever reason it is not under guarantee you can still bring it to a repair center and ask to evaluate the cost. 

It is a fluke and by no means the norm that’s why there are guarantees and repair centers, things like this happen.

Good luck.