Nightmare - Pictures Visible in Camera from SD but not on Mac

Hi all, 

Sorry to meet you in such a moment of stress but here goes. Last night I shot an event, an important one. It's primarily what I do outside of studio.

This morning when I got home to upload the images and start editing I noticed about 30% (consecutive) of my shots were MIA. I uploaded what I could and put the card back in the camera (xpro2). There they were! Visible in camera. So I try a new card reader but the same 30% are missing. Then I tried directly connecting the camera with the card in it and still, they were missing on my computer. Then I tired switching card slots and trying everything again with no new results. At this point, I decided to restart my computer, make a cup of coffee and have a sit before I snap.

I return to my camera and start scrolling, the elusive 30% are now gone. Like really gone this time, nowhere to be found on the card, camera or floating in my now cold coffee. I'm baffled. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this happened? How I can prevent it in the future? And, with a glimmer of hope, how to find those shots?

Thanks

the SD card is a SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO 95nb/s

You are possibly SOL. I have seen this on bad SD cards before. You've got to remember that what you're seeing on the camera's LCD is a subset of the image that was recorded. I think that to speed up the raster processing Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, etc all keep a boiler plate version of the SD card in nRAM then just paste in the thumbnail version of the image(s). Due to the position of the thumbnail in the image file this works for a while but after repeated views of the card's contents the refresh erases the path string and hence the image data. If you've still got the Raw image data you are Holden, if not ... "that's life".

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Once I had to use an undelete utility to get images. 

I have Sandisk cards and used their undelete software and it worked for most of the images.  In my case, it wasn't card error however, I had accidentally formatted the card with images on it I still needed.

Years ago when I shot Nikon I had a couple images on the CF card dedicated to RAW files get corrupt.  But on the 2nd card I had JPG copies and the JPG were OK.  When that happened I was convinced on the need for 2 card slots.

• 2 months later...