The Fuji fun factor trumps everything else?

fujiisfun

I bought an X100T as a complement to my 5DIII a few months ago. At first, I struggled with the slower AF and lack of functions compared to my 5D. But now it has been weeks since I've even touched the Canon. Every time I want to shoot I find myself reaching for the X100T. 

Why? In part because it's just so much more fun to use. And because of that, I find myself making better pictures with it. Here are just a few situations recently when I chose the X100T instead of the 5D:

• Outside in bright, mid-day sunlight. I find the built-in ND filter, leaf shutter, and built-in flash (for fill) to be indispensable in these conditions.
  • Anytime I was going to be walking or out and about for a long period. For example, we rented some kayaks and paddled a couple of miles to a beach. I didn't want to lug my 5D in the kayak, but the X100T with OEM leather case attached to Luma shoulder strap was perfect. Another example was on a relatively long hike.
  • Inside in poor light. Again, having a built-in flash was really helpful.
  • At my daughter's friend's birthday party. This was both indoor and outdoor, a combination of several challenging lighting conditions, and a group of people I didn't know super well. I knew the X100T sensor would handle the light better, and I didn't want to bring a big, bulky camera to a gathering like that. I wanted to use the X100T's silent shutter as well.

But of course it isn't just the user experience that makes the X100T so great. The image files it produces have a distinct look that strongly appeals to me. The natural colors (especially skin tones, which is crucial for my subject matter), the subtle tonal transitions, the "film-like" quality (yes, I know that phrase is overused but I struggle to describe it any other way). What's interesting is that other people that don't know much about photography also notice these qualities. They may have a hard time putting them into words, but they notice.

There are other features I love, and have a hard time living without now, such as the ability to spot meter on any selected AF point. This is a game changer for me, as I often shoot moving subjects in manual and this makes it practical to properly expose the subject without recomposing and losing the shot. And the added bonus is that with the EVF, I can see the exposure changing in real time. 

I still have the 5DIII plus 24-70 II and 70-200 IS, as well as a Sigma 50A. I love the fast AF (especially continuous) and shallow DOF this system affords me. But I just don't find myself using it much anymore. So I've taken the plunge and have ordered an X-T1 + 35/1.4. I'm going to use it for a while along with the X100T. If I like it, next step will be getting an f/2.8 24-70 equivalent. If I shoot with all of that for a few months and never find myself going for the 5DIII, I may switch over completely. 

Of course, a lot of the things I love about the X100T are unique to it, not general to Fuji, so it will be interesting to see how I like the X-T1. 

When people ask why I love my XT1 so much, my answer is always "I enjoy using it." As a hobbyist photographer, getting a perfect image isn't the most important thing to me. I want a camera that I enjoy using so much that every time I leave the apartment I think to myself: "I want to bring my camera with me." The XT1 fits that bill perfectly. Love the quick access/lack of menus that the dials provide, and it's relatively small size, which all-in-all make me use the camera.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a the T1, Pro 1, X100T and a Canon 5DIII.  Like you since I picked up my first Fuji camera, I've not used my 5D.  For me my introduction was made with the Pro 1. But now, it's the X100T I always reach for.  I love the rest.  But the X100T is special.  Especially with the 2 conversion lenses.  Perfect for being out and about.  Be interesting to hear if you switched to using the T1 more over the X100T?  Oh and the 35mm lens is lovely.

I love both my X-Pro1 and 5D3. They are both fun to use in different ways.

The only contention would be the size of the 5D3. It's difficult when I want to be less conspicuous. Otherwise, the 5D3 is a BLAST to use....all the time.

I've been a professional Canon shooter for over a decade, most recently with a 1Dx and a couple of 5D3s, together with more expensive glass than you can imagine. Yes, it was bulletproof. But was it fun to use? Hardly. I sold the 1Dx and a 5D3 plus my primes and simply kept one 5D3 and the f/2.8 zooms. With the cash from selling the Canon gear I bought a Fuji system with 4 X-T1 bodies, 8 lenses (all the fast ones), three flash units plus triggers, an X100T (for my personal, non-work related use) and an X-Pro1 (just because I wanted it).

Using the Fuji gear makes me excited about shooting again. The Canon didn't do that.

I definitely feel the same way. And like you, I've hung on to the 5DIII + f/2.8 zooms. I'm 100% satisfied with the X-T1 plus fast primes compared to 5DIII + fast primes. But I see a pretty big difference in terms of DOF control with the 5DIII f/2.8 zooms. And while the size difference between the Fujifilm + f/2.8 zooms and the 5DIII + f/2.8 zooms is notable, it's not as big as the difference with primes on both systems. 

Amazing how often we're hearing this same story ;  I have the 5DIII (with expensive L glass)  but rarely use it anymore in favor of the X100S and X-T1.  I rented the X100S in 2013 and, after sixty years of film and digital photography, found the jpeg quality, especially with film simulation,  to be outstanding.  With the Canon, I shoot RAW and post process but with the Fujis, the jpeg images right of the camera are amazing. And I've enlarged the X100S jpegs to 20X30 and they are sharp corner to corner. So much easier to work with jpegs. Fuji has designed the X-Trans CMOS sensor, EXR Processor II and various Fujinon lenses to work together including lens corrections right in the camera.  Truly amazing - and I'm a Leicaphile who still has his original 1950 Leica IIIf in perfect operating condition. Fuji is leading the way.

I'm not a pro - came close ot having a go at being a pro, but relaised I didn't really have the hard nose needed to be a businessman.

So that leaves me as an amateur.

For nearly all of my life I've enjoyed shooting with Canon kit. Nothing has really captured the excitement I got from shooting with my Canon A1's in film days.

Well, nothing until I gave the X-Pro 1 a try. Now I have an X-100T I find it even more fun to play with.

I think for me, the simple truth is that  'less is more':

• Less choices of body and lens combination to work with
  • Less of "what kit do I pack inot a rucksack big enough to use for a weeks holiday when just going out on a shoot for a day?"
  • Less stress on my body trying to support this mini weight lifters mobile exercise companion each time I want to take a picture
  • Less looks from people when I get my camera out of my pocket to take a picture
  • Less complaints about rights and less questions about my intentions regarding my intentions with 'the picture I'm taking'
  • Less pictures that have to be deleted in Post Processing because I just sprayed and prayed
  • Less pictures lost through the flawed A/F that Canon put on the 5D2.

Yep, less thinking about all the technical aspects of photography and more fun creating and cpaturing the shots!

Coming at the question from a slightly different angle, my take on the Fuji X-E2 I use is that it doesn't frustrate me. I think every other camera I have ever used except for the Panasonic LX3 frustrated me to some degree when shooting. I switched from the Sony NEX's (latterly the NEX-7) to the Fuji and the most immediately striking thing was that the Fuji just got out of the way and let me get on with shooting to the point where I forgot about the camera.

I totally agree with Andrew Brown.  I'm totally an amateur, and fell for the Canon hoopla hook, line, and sinker, so I've got a 6D and 600D bodies and more than a few lenses (several "L" lenses), and while they take great pictures, the weight tends to wear me down, especially in the heat and humidity of the Florida summer.

I purchased my X100T in February, and have really enjoyed learning and using it.  I find myself reaching for it when we head out the door, because it is small and light and un-obtrusive.  Also, it fits nicely in the glove compartment of either car ;)

I like it so much, I'm wanting to get the XPro-2 and a couple of prime lenses, when it comes out.  I haven't decided if I'm going to keep or sell my Canon kit yet, I guess time will tell...

I think it comes close to trumping everything else.  I started with the X100S but really fell out of love when I moved over to the XT1 with 14,35 and 56mm lenses.  A lot of it is the 50mm FOV vs 35mm FOV, but the XT1 is generally a slicker camera, especially with FW4.  I think the X100S might be going up for sale soon.

The two improvements I would love to my XT1, to make it close to perfect are:

1) more MP (24-28 would be great, as I really would love to print larger/more cropping leeway)

2) improved AF, preferably far more PDAF sensors on the frame to enable the FW4 tracking in CH mode to work across the entire frame.

I started with and still have the X100. I wanted what are the most basic controls dedicated to one spot. Having them where they used to be in FILM days is obviously huge for an old timer like me. I played around between OVF and EVF settings at first, but now it's just a pleasure to use the OVF only with overlays. I was hooked and wanted more. I bought an E-1 with kit lens on fire sale. The results with that kit lens just blew me away. 

The plan now is a P2 or a T2 if either lives up to being a worthy successor. I want that OVF in a camera body. Meanwhile .... I'm building up my FUJI lens collection. Fast quality lenses for me makes the FUJI X series doubly special. I prefer being able to use a fast shutter speed to having to rely on a tripod to steady my shots.

I've used Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, Olympus and Fujifilm.

Out of all those companies. I enjoy using Fujifilm the most, I like the images that come straight out of the camera the most. I want to use it.

thats why I believe in Fujifilm. Firmware 4.00 reduced the biggest negative about Fujifilm IMHO (AF speed/reliability) and so I can now more easily recommend it.

• 2 months later...

I'm an amateur and am just now re-entering into my photography passion after many years off. With the advent of digital and the complete redesign of operating systems to menu based I became disinterested in purchasing a digital camera. I simply can not stand menus.

Then along comes the Fugi system, with aperture rings, and camera top dials, and all of the sudden I feel like I have my old Nikon F3 back...only better with all the inherent advantages and advancements of the digital medium. The Fugi XT1 and the great family of lenses specifically designed for these X cameras and WOW!...I'm Backindasaddle again! I'm so excited to again be able to enjoy my photography passion. Camera top dials and aperture rings...Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Fugi.

I've also owned the canon 6d and Sony a7, they both just didn't feel right for me compared to the Fuji x series. I just love having an aperture ring, I started out on film and its just natural to me. Plus o love the colour profiles, when doing a large shoot I have to tinker for ages wih canon or Sony files. With Fuji, its just pick provia and hit export.

As a hobbyist the enjoyment factor counts most. I sold off my canon gear as I wasn't using it after buying the T1 and ended up adding the X-pro1. While the X-T1 is the faster an better camera(mostly with Zeiss 32mm, sometimes XF 18 and the 18-55 zoom), somehow the X-pro1 with the XF27mm is always in my bag wherever I go.