Fuji X100F and High Speed Sync flash

Hello,

I am currently investigating the behaviour of the Fuji X100F in  High Speed Sync (HSS).

• I am able to sync the built-in flash at speeds up to 1/1000 sec without problem at various apertures.  In aperture priority mode the built-in flash syncs at 1/34 sec (quite low).  Are others seeing the same values in the Exif?

• The X100F is listed has fully compatible with Fuji EF-X500 flash unit that supports HSS.  Is anyone using this combo? Since no HSS is listed in the menu of the X100F how is it achieved?

• The recently release Ver 2.0 firmware is expected to "Improve radio flash controller usability The upgrade allows users to shoot with compatible third party studio flash in high speed sync. or TTL mode via their radio controllers."  Anyone using his X100F in HSS with a radio controllers and if yes which equipment?

Thank you,

The beauty of the x100 series cameras is they do not require any special flash to achieve HSS because they contain a leaf shutter.  In essence HSS doesn't apply since the camera does not have a flash sync speed.  People often buy the x100 cameras solely for this reason...you can use a cheap Amazon Basics flash and sync at high shutter speeds.   It's best to shoot in manual mode as opposed to aperture priority to get the best results.  Expose for the ambient and then set your flash power accordingly to your taste.

There is a limitation of about 1/1000 sec at f2.8 (or maybe f2 I can't recall) as the shutter has a lot of aperture to cover at those wide apertures.  

Attached pic is with a $30 speed light fired into a $20 umbrella with my x100s at 1/500 sec at f2.8 using the cameras built-in 3 stop ND filter.   Any radio controller that will trigger the flash will work.  I've used Pocket Wizards, Cybersyncs and most recently the FlashQ triggers which are the size of dice. 

Here is a detailed explanation

https://fujilove.com/flash-fuji-and-leaf-shutters/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Therapeuo63

Thanks for sharing your experience.

As I wrote, using the built-in flash at higher shutter speeds (in manual mode) for fill-in works perfectly.  I keep the flash settings in the X100F menu selected as TTL.  But I am less successful triggering my off-camera flash (I own a Nikon SB800).

From one picture on your website I notice you were using a YN-560iv connected with a cord. With the Elinchrom I assume you use their own brand wireless transmitters.  What about the pictures with caption "YN-560iv ... Godox AD360 ... far right"?  Are you relying on wireless radio transmitters (which ones) or optical using the X100T in commander mode?

That website is FujiLove's magazine so I'm not sure what set up they were using with the YN-560 and the Godox.  I have 2 SB-800 flashes. I have no problem triggering them optically using the X100's commander mode provided there is line of sight.  I've triggered the SB-800s wirelessly using the X100s with Pocket Wizards, FlashQ triggers, Paul C Buff's Cybersync triggers and Nikon sync cables (as in my profile pic here).  I have heard of compatibility issues with Yongnuo(YN)  triggers and Nikon flashes so would avoid those.  

The beauty of the x100 series cameras is they do not require any special flash to achieve HSS because they contain a leaf shutter.  In essence HSS doesn't apply since the camera does not have a flash sync speed.  People often buy the x100 cameras solely for this reason...you can use a cheap Amazon Basics flash and sync at high shutter speeds.   It's best to shoot in manual mode as opposed to aperture priority to get the best results.  Expose for the ambient and then set your flash power accordingly to your taste.

There is a limitation of about 1/1000 sec at f2.8 (or maybe f2 I can't recall) as the shutter has a lot of aperture to cover at those wide apertures.  

Attached pic is with a $30 speed light fired into a $20 umbrella with my x100s at 1/500 sec at f2.8 using the cameras built-in 3 stop ND filter.   Any radio controller that will trigger the flash will work.  I've used Pocket Wizards, Cybersyncs and most recently the FlashQ triggers which are the size of dice. 

Here is a detailed explanation

https://fujilove.com/flash-fuji-and-leaf-shutters/

Mighty fine image that is.

Edited by Him

• 1 month later...

Here is one image taken with my 100F and used with a studio box and two Elinchrom lights. Triggered by a Elinchrom Skyport.

Settings:

1/250, F16, ISO 200

Really pleased with this one.

Edited by Him