X100F...what an upgrade!

Hi

I’m sure loads of you already know this but... the X100F is one hell of an upgrade on the X100S! I’d been on the fence for so long regarding an upgrade, as I’ve got an XT1 and thought it would be a better choice to upgrade etc but one Friday I was at the airport for a city break and saw an X100F for £1130 and decided to bite the bullet.

Over the past 12 months my photography has languished and despite having a love/hate relationship with my X100S it’s been my go to camera for sheer convenience over the past 2yrs, with the last 12m it providing 90% of all my best images.

Yes the new sensor and simulations are nice but what’s completely blown me away is the ergonomics. The new battery, improved AF and focus joystick has absolutely transformed a camera (X100S) from a difficult, love/hate relationship to head over heels romance! Those small changes were something I’d not even really considered when reading reviews/weighing up decisions, so I thought I’d share a quick post to help any other X100S owners out there, thinking and wondering about whether an X100F is worth it.

I agree totally. Those apparently small details make all the difference for me, too. I tried hard to love my 100S/T. Now I'm so glad I upgraded to the 100F - a perfect companion for my XPro2.

Yep. It’s kind of taken me by surprise in all honesty. I think the biggest challenge now will be the rest of my kit and whether it gets a look in etc. I looked at the T2 long & hard, but decided it didn’t “feel right” so passed on it.

Looking forward to seeing what an X100F heavy year does to my photography & views on gear!

My X100s changed my photography life.  I went from a vacation photographer (mostly) to a photography nut.

After I had it converted to dual spectrum (infrared/visible), I bought my X100F.  The F is so much easier to use.  I get to compare the two a lot since I usually carry and shoot both with the S only set up for infrared now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What size clip-in lens cap do you use? Is that the Fuji lens hood and adapter?

I recently switched to this lens hood:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKUYQS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This allows use of the original Fujifilm lens hood.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right you are.... the X-100F is a great upgrade and a great camera. It is my stealth street photography camera of choice.

Edited by gaopa

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to Fuji with the purchase of a X100F.  I use a Nikon D850 and a D5 for the bulk of my work.  I wanted a small camera for quick street shots.  This past weekend was my first real test.  I shot about 400 images in New York City.  Not having anything to compare it to, I would give it a A minus.

Too easy to accidentally turn the exposure compensation knob.  Too easy to hit the Q button with the flesh between my thumb and forefinger.

Other than those two minor problems, I was happy with the results.  

• 1 month later...

I recently switched to this lens hood:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKUYQS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This allows use of the original Fujifilm lens hood.

I bought this one and liked it but Hoage has one that is not quite as deep as this one so it is less visible through the OVF. It also allows for a filter too but I don't use one.

https://www.amazon.com/Haoge-LH-X49B-Ultra-thin-Adapter-Fujifilm/dp/B01DNL2QT0/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523479506&sr=1-5&keywords=hood+for+x100f

Edited by PhotoDan

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Him

The one think I dislike about the 100F is the in my view stupid arrangement for the lens hood, that one has to have a ring adaptor and only then can one have a filter. If they change anything on the next version then for me it would have to have built in hood that reverses over the lens when stored in my bag. Otherwise it would be end of road for me and the X100F and future series.

After having the Fuji lens hood and adapter ring on order at one place for 5 months, I ordered it over the internet from another place who was the only one I found with it in stock. Fits perfectly and I have a filter also. I can stop fingering the actual lens at last!

5 months is not good enough.

Edited by Him

I agree entirely about the ring adapter, Him. I realise that, with the current lens design, some kind of a spacer is needed so that the front element of the lens doesn't hit the filter when the lens is focused - but it's a clumsy arrangement nonetheless, especially having to remove the front ring first (and then make sure  to not lose it!). I hope Fuji can improve on this in the future.

Guest Him

My front ring and cap are stored in a drawer and bag....... ready for the time in the future when and if I get rid of the 100F. I have a filter and a 'normal' lens cap. That still fits into the Leather case LC-X100F, without of course the lens hood, so that has to be carried separately as it does not reverse over the lens.

All that said, in every other respect a great camera.

Edited by Him

Yes, this is the exact same arrangement I have, except for the leather case (I'm interested to hear that the camera with filter plus "normal' plastic lens cap still fits in the Fuji leather case: with earlier X100 models that used to be a problem). And yes, great camera!

Guest Him

Yes I did not expect the lens with filter and cap to fit, but it does. Whether I will use the hood remains to be seen. Being seperate I hope I don't lose it. I guess when not in the case I will put it on if it is sunny.

I have both styles of lens hood (the cheap JJC alternatives): not sure which one I prefer. I find that, when the filter is fitted, the hood is useful to minimise flare if shooting into the light, but it does add bulk and make the camera less unobtrusive for things like street photography. Without the filter on the front, the lens is shaded by its own housing, so it doesn't catch the light and the problem of flare is reduced. I guess one day I might feel brave enough to remove the filter altogether and use the camera as designed. But not while it's still so new!

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually waiting until Fujifilm release a WR version of the X100 series. Besides, I would lose more money than I can handle if I sell my X100T now, and upgrade to the X100F.

My strategy will fail of course if Fujifilm never decides to release a WR X100 version ;)

Yes - it seems I'm not alone with the WR wish! I have and use the X100F as my EDC camera and WR would be realy helpfull!! How ever it seems also other brands neglect the WR issue in the small and compact sector! A pitty!

Edited by WaveDancer

• 5 months later...
On 3/8/2018 at 11:31 AM, peter_s said:

Too easy to hit the Q button with the flesh between my thumb and forefinger.

Putting a small adhesive bumper to the left of the Q button resolves this issue. 

• 2 weeks later...