What lenses should Fuji release next?

IngaLovesFuji

Fuji already pretty much makes all the lenses I want since I usually don't use zooms. 

Actually, that's not true. Above 90/135mm, then zooms make more sense but otherwise, Fuji has now established their baseline. Next will probably be a premium line (35mm F0.95? 56mm F0.7?) and also a budget line (35mm F2 is a good start).

Coming from a Canon system where there's a budget line, a mid-level line and then the L-series, I figure that's what everyone should do so there's a good choice of lenses to fit every budget.

• 3 weeks later...

The 9-18mm f2.8 WR you wish... that would be amazing, but maybe big, heavy and expensive too... I think the wide-zoom lens should be resolved with two options, something similar to this:

12-18mm f2.8-4 WR - Normal / High quality - like the XF18-55mm f2.8-4

10-16 f2.8 WR - Premium quality - alongside with the XF16-50mm f2.8 WR (heavier, more expensive, but sharper / faster than the 12-18).

Everybody could have the -not exactly but almost- fuji 35mm equivalent of the classic DSLR zoom combo 14-24-70

XC series

Rename and move the 27mm to XC where it belongs.

16-105mm (I'll settle for 18-105mm).  I found this the best all around zoom in my Nikon days.  Make it XC light-compact-inexpensive.  Perfect match-up for X-E1/2/3.  You can travel around the world with one body+lens.

10-18mm.  Lighter, compacter and a little slower than the XF 10-24  --  Make it XC light-compact-inexpensive..

XF series:

10mm (or even 8 or 9 !!) prime.  NO fisheyes.  Loose the AF (who needs it at this focal length?) but keep the rest of the electrical connections.

Non-pancake 18mm.  F/1.4 or 1.8.  This is a equiv to 28mm from film days, a fundamentally classis focal length that deserve the full-Fuji, Less weird lens hood too.

60mm with faster AF.

Macro-zoom. Approx 50-120mm.  Doesn't need to be all that fast nor have a constant max aperture. Magnification ratio 1:1.3.   (APS-C equivalent of Nikon's 70-180.  Was allowed to use one briefly -- there is a reason that these 10-20 year old items sell for $1,000 plus on eBay!) 

One of the nice things about the Fuji X system is the excellent selection of lenses already available, of consistently very good to excellent quality. For myself, having cut my teeth on Leica 50s when starting out as a photographer, I can't wait to get my hands on the 35mm f2.0 WR right about the day it comes out. That, and as has been mentioned, a hopefully better focusing updated 60 macro, and I'm a happy camper.

Will

As I've said in another topic, I'd love to see these lenses:

35mm F/1.2 (I still think that 1.2 is enough compromise in terms of price/performance)

90mm F/1.4 (same here - anything faster than 1.4 in 90mm range means it would be a very (I mean VERY) expensive thing).

140mm F/2 

These are the lensese that I'd definately buy.

The lenses that I will probably buy:

200mm F/2.8

10mm F/2.8

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like a 23mm f/2 - a Summicron equivalent, built to the same high standards and approximate size as the 18mm f/2.

Compact, aperture ring, smooth and precise manual focusing capability, metal construction, metal rectangular hood, the best glass, quiet in operation...

Man, if Fujifilm were to produce that lens I'd place it on a pre-order more or less on announcement.

The current 23mm f/1.4 is a great lens, but it's large and has a tulip hood. I want something that's highly inconspicuous on the street, sharp as a tack and still eminently useful in low light.

I'd like a 23mm f/2 - a Summicron equivalent, built to the same high standards and approximate size as the 18mm f/2.

Compact, aperture ring, smooth and precise manual focusing capability, metal construction, metal rectangular hood, the best glass, quiet in operation...

Man, if Fujifilm were to produce that lens I'd place it on a pre-order more or less on announcement.

The current 23mm f/1.4 is a great lens, but it's large and has a tulip hood. I want something that's highly inconspicuous on the street, sharp as a tack and still eminently useful in low light.

Fuji makes exactly what you want, but it comes permanently attached to an X100T. Nice camera.

I tried to make a point recently about smaller, more practical lenses, and this is where I stand. I'm with Wolffbastien on the futility of getting enamored with ultra-fast exotic lenses; there are other parameters to consider.

So, small(-ish), preferably weather sealed versions of the 16mm, 23mm, etc, one stop slower than the existing lenses, and possibly a fair bit less expensive too.

Apart from that, a true 1:1 macro in the 90-120mm range would be a great addition. Finally, I think a 16-70mm constant aperture is a must for the system at this point.

I'm going through my lens collection right now, evaluating what I like and use and what I don't use as much. I own the 14, 23, 27, 35, Zeiss 50, 56 and 18-55 lenses + some M glass. 

My personal taste is to go for a little wider spread in focal length, like 18 (which I don't own), 35 and 90 (I have an M-Rokkor 90). Tried the 23 + 56 route for a while, but the 23 is just not a lens I got ever used to. Bummer, it's optically great, just too frigging big.

Fuji makes exactly what you want, but it comes permanently attached to an X100T. Nice camera.

Oh, I've looked at the X100T closely and it is a temptation, but...

What I really want is my described 23mm f/2 as a standalone (jeepers, they make the lens now - put it in a mount).

Then I'll acquire the X-Pro 2 which, indicated by rampant rumor I admit, should appear at some point in 2016.

Small, simple, fast enough for me at f/2, built to pro standards, good enough-sharp enough to shoot wide open and have your eye/brain connections explode when you see the image quality. Price it in the mid-range to upper mid-range, maybe 35mm f/1.4 range, and they'll sell like peanuts & beer at a baseball game.

This is a real deal shooter's lens. I've shot with Nikons and Leicas since the early '70s a film photographer and I was never without the 35mm f/2 Summicron. Leica has been VERY late to the game with digital and I had little confidence until recently with the M240 hence I've shot Nikon digital professionally and personally for the past decade or so. With Leica products selling at movie star prices I've been looking for a while for something to fill the void as the shooting experience, for me, was always very immediate and gratifying.

So I've been checking on the Fujifilm X System for a few years, basically on the release of the X-Pro 1 and its three lenses.

I waited for the system to mature a bit - as it has - and...

I suffer an injury shooting a college lacrosse game and have some surgery and the doc tells me I need a much lighter load so...

I'm liking Fujifilm and have had some VERY positive experiences with their lenses on my 4X5 film camera...

I start shopping and discover I'm in the middle of a very nice lens sale...

So I buy the the X-E2, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2, 27mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4 and 60mm.

I shot in New York last week. The successful shots are wonderful, though I had I higher number of duds than usual.

On editing it was apparent the camera and I were not in sync. It's new. I've had it for maybe a month and had largely done test shooting.

The problem for me was timing. The camera was ahead of me or I was ahead of it.

This will sort itself through with use.

I really do love the whole rig. The lenses are terrific, the kit inconspicuous in a small ThinkTank bag.

LP

Yes 23mm with a priority on small size would be an instant impulse purchase for me. I just wonder if their reticence is deliberate so as not to cut into x100 sales.

That's my thought as well...

I don't know what sales figures look like for the X100's, but I'd have to imagine if anything was cannibalized by the introduction of a small top quality X-Mount 23mm f/2 it would be the X100's.

I don't want to buy a camera just to get a lens. I want to purchase the cameras I know will work for me as well as the appropriate lenses.

LP

"What lenses should Fuji release next?"

Exactly what is on their road map as close as possible to the estimated release times.  

It is GREAT that they show the customer what their plans are and give the customer an idea of the direction they are taking.  This is one outstanding feature I really like about Fuji.  They are open and give us hope for what is to come.  If they are to have any credibility as a company they need to follow as best as possible what they say they plan to do.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am a newbie to the forum in the process of transitioning from a Canon kit to Fuji.  I shoot landscapes and animals.  Just returned from the Tetons with an XT-1 and three lens kit.  Loved it!  BUT....I can't get rid of my Canon gear until Fuji provides a long lens!  We need the 100-400 lens NOW.  Would also love to see a 400 prime.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...